The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Macaroni

4 posters

Go down

Macaroni Empty Macaroni

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:11 am

Is it just me but when stolling down the isles of dried pasta, I have never seen macaroni !  I know you can substitute with other pasta in for instance a macaroni cheese but somehow it's just not the same...... Surprised
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Macaroni Empty Re: Macaroni

Post by lancashire lass Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:15 am

Well you have to be careful! in tuscany macaroni are little squares of pasta, so did you mean the small tubes that we call macaroni in the uk?

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:22 am

Macaroni in Italian doesn't really exist unless you mean an 18th century fop. Yo will want maccheroni,  although Ive never seen it, you would want mezzani, zite or zittane are pretty similar.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:28 am

Thank you both, Lancashire Lass and Modi.......and yes I was looking for the small tubes, can fit a few easily in the mouth....seems I wont find any here but will try Modi's similar pasta types.....sad as was nephews fav' dish.....Nevermind...there is not much I miss here and shops do seem to be selling a wider choice of goodies... Thx to you both.
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:56 am

Angie, it is true that you will not find "macaroni" in Italy, as "macaroni cheese" does not belong to the Italian cuisine. You can use other variations of tubular pasta, such as "penette", which will give you similar results. Each country has created its own pasta variations. For instance, in Spain, a dish loved by most children is "macarrones con chorizo", which is pasta, with tomato sauce and the spicy Spanish sausage. Look at the spelling of "maccheroni ". This is a good guide to Italian pasta history, shapes, etc... Although "fideua" is not an Italian classical shape. It is a dish typical from the Catalonian-Roussillon area of the Mediterranean. Combining pasta and seafood. Well, have a look http://garrubbo.com/pasta/
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:21 pm

This link is also very helpful and comprehensive http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/pasta_shapes.html
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:23 am

Thx Gala for that...will read and absorb.....just alot happening to make time to do....that time of year again and the weather has been wonderful so lots of outside housework to do.....Hope all is well and good.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks Angie. Very Happy
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content