The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not before time

+7
Geotherm
Flip
Vicino
modicasa
Hazy
Angela Fuller
ghiro
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Not before time Empty Not before time

Post by ghiro Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:01 pm

This makes me feel better about my IMU bill: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35197547
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Not before time Empty Re: Not before time

Post by ghiro Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:58 pm

This is why this forum doesn't flourish.  55 views and NOT ONE reply.  So why should anyone bother posting anything?

After all the post is about Italy.  It's also about a global problem of multi-national companies avoiding paying tax.

Doesn't anybody find it strange that the Italian authorities will fine you €10 for paying your IMU late yet McDonalds, Google, Starbucks etc etc seem to get away scot free?

Either you support this forum.  In which case you need to contribute.  Or you don't.  In which case it will surely die. Sad

Last edited by ghiro on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:32 am

IMO Ghiro, people will only reply to postings that really interest or affects them.  I doubt that may members on the forum will benefit from the extra tax gained fron Apple.  However, I do agree that the lack of postings isn't helping the forum to stay alive.  A few years ago, forums were vibrant re questions and answers, alot about house purchases and renovations from most members.  In those days most of us were new to Italy and its culture, and needed to know where you could buy various products etc. Now, everyone has become 'an expert' !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:42 am

Not sure if it's my laptop but when I click on the link I get a message to say the page can't be displayed. Maybe this is the cause for lack of response?

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:10 am

Ghiro I take your point, but why should I reply? I click on it, I see the article which I have already read in the press, and I should write some trite platitiude in the comments box which is of no interest to anyone?   Personally I write something when I feel it could help someone, or if the pontificating annoys me to a point where i cant keep quiet.    I still check them every day,  but can't see the point of writing a line to say whether its rained or not on my road.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:22 am

ooh modi !!!

Yesssss....... I kind of agree with modi, although I can also see that when someone has taken the trouble to share things (because some people may have actually missed the article) then it would be nice to have a clear 'thanks' button. I know there is a '+ -' button at the side of a message which might do the same ?

However it needs to be easy and obvious. (I have in the past been trying to involve myself in a topic and all you see is almost personal messages between the same group of people, my own has been all but ignored so then you think sod it !)

Most of these boards are for sharing info, and there are a few of our 'friends' here who are just VERY VERY knowledgable and I for one would be very unhappy to lose them or see them stop sharing. Keep it coming !!

Here's to a happy 2016 !! Very Happy 

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Vicino wrote:...although I can also see that when someone has taken the trouble to share things (because some people may have actually missed the article) then it would be nice to have a clear 'thanks' button. I know there is a '+ -' button at the side of a message which might do the same?

And it does V.  It does!  Smile  Words of wisdom as always (nice alliteration!)

It depresses me that sometimes this fine forum goes literally for days without anyone posting.  So when something 'interesting' (well to me anyway!) happens that impacts on Italy I'm keen to share it.

But it's discouraging when one's post is totally ignored.  As V says the 'like' button has gone but a simple click on the + (not the - !) at least gives a chap/gal the message that someone out there appreciates their effort.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:17 pm

I totally agree with Modi on this, the clue is in the name 'Forum' not 'Chat Room'; ideas and opinions can be freely debated but if you find the content of a post is not your cup of tea, or have read the article or unaffected by the content, why do you have to feel the need to placate or mollify the person who posted.
Many of my posts have been ignored in the past, I get over it, move on or delete it.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:06 pm

Modi said very similar to me.....basically why comment on something you already know about...my kefir and nuts postings created more interest and pages of replys. We all find different things interesting Ghiro and that is the purpose of this forum to share opinions, likes and dislikes..... I have never said a negative comment to any of your postings even if tempted....each to their own.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:18 pm

modicasa wrote:Ghiro I take your point, but why should I reply? I click on it, I see the article which I have already read in the press, and I should write some trite platitiude in the comments box which is of no interest to anyone?   Personally I write something when I feel it could help someone, or if the pontificating annoys me to a point where i cant keep quiet.    I still check them every day,  but can't see the point of writing a line to say whether its rained or not on my road.

Your point, together with Flip and Angela's, is well taken.

At the top of the page it says 'The Italy Forum.  The new forum for all you lovers of Italy (my italics)'  Some of you live here full time.  Some of us don't.  But we're all on this forum (agreed it's not a Chat Room!) because , in our own way, we love Italy.

But there's more to Italy than IMU, TASI, Heat Exchangers, which supermarket has asian produce, whether the pool in BdL is going to open etc etc.  There's art and politics.  Economics and architecture.  And much more including the enduring enigma of the native Italians themselves.  All surely worthy of comment?

What I've been trying to say (perhaps gauchely) is that for a forum to thrive it needs members who contribute. 

Rant now over!  Shocked Shocked

Last edited by ghiro on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Ghiro.
I do agree that it is a shame that the thanks button has disappeared and would be better if it returned.
I post on a UK site, where I help people with heatpump problems and the "thanks", always shows who has read and credited the post by name.
With regards to answers, unless there are posts coming through with questions, it is always a difficult thing, as you may read and not reply on information, but there is the +/-, so we can't expect perfection on a free forum, despite the hard work Admin has done.
In regard to Asian food, then some of us who live here on a permanent basis, may like a change. To be honest we eat very little Italian, maybe 15% per year, but having a good variety of availability to other supplies makes it all the better. You probably have a advantage if you go backwards and forward to the UK, but for some of us who don't, then variety is the spice of life.
If nobody is posting regarding architecture, politics,art and economics, then what do we reply to?
We like Italy, but the hoops you have to go through most of the time and that is from 10 years living here, do get very tiring and expensive, e.g driving licence, identity cards changing vehicle etc.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Totally agree Geo,

We live a different life to those who come and go and do not experience the complicated and frustrating life we lead when residents here....oh to have another home in the UK, tax and mot car there and only return here for sun, architecture, art etc...I suppose it's all about money really.  We have existed here for 10yrs on a very small income and have been paying a mortgage.  I really do appreciate the postings about where you can get this and that...Come on Ghiro, think of others and their needs and do not dwell on world political matters...we are your forum friends and would appreciate some kindly words....occasionaly.
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:18 pm

Well said Angela,living here on a permanent basis is not a bed of roses, far from it and making ends meet is often touch and go. We have made our choice and we stick to it and like Geo says variety is the spice of life. Mine being Chilli !!
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:49 pm

Flip wrote:Well said Angela,living here on a permanent basis is not a bed of roses, far from it and making ends meet is often touch and go. We have made our choice and we stick to it and like Geo says variety is the spice of life. Mine being Chilli !!

Funny you said that Flip, as we have just had a chilli con carne tonight Very Happy Very Happy
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:Come on Ghiro, think of others and their needs and do not dwell on world political matters...we are your forum friends and would appreciate some kindly words....occasionally.

Can you hear me munching on humble pie?  Sad Sad

But having said that (sincerely) let me say this.  Life as a 'holiday home' owner is by no means easy.  We're at present building a small barn.  IVA for us?  Currently 22%.  As a resident?  4% I believe.  And IMU & TASI for us this year? 

I have no doubt that living in Italy can be very difficult.  But do you remember why you decided to live here in the first place?  What was the allure?  Was it the food?  Or the art?  Or the architecture?  It's so easy to forget the very things that first attracted one.  The first time I saw the distant view of the Apennines from Casa Ghiro I was literally blown away.  But now, 10 years later, I have to remind myself how stunning it is.  But I suspect, above all, it was the Italians themselves- forever welcoming and friendly and forever enigmatic. 

And don't think that living in the UK is without it's challenges.  However I totally agree that Italian bureaucracy takes the biscuit!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:21 am

Life as a 'holiday home' owner is by no means easy.  We're at present building a small barn.  IVA for us?  Currently 22%.  As a resident?  4% I believe.  And IMU & TASI for us this year?'

Dear Ghiro - why are you complaining about the IVA you have to pay? You have chosen to take advantage of all Italy has to offer by having a holiday home here and also chosen to build a small barn with the associated taxes as a non-resident. Nobody forced you to do any of this and surely the advantages you mention outweigh this?

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:56 am

Hazy wrote:Life as a 'holiday home' owner is by no means easy.  We're at present building a small barn.  IVA for us?  Currently 22%.  As a resident?  4% I believe.  And IMU & TASI for us this year?' Dear Ghiro - why are you complaining about the IVA you have to pay? You have chosen to take advantage of all Italy has to offer by having a holiday home here and also chosen to build a small barn with the associated taxes as a non-resident. Nobody forced you to do any of this and surely the advantages you mention outweigh this?

I think the 'complaint' would be [from many of us] that Italy appears to treat residents differently from non-residents in many areas of life. 

: Very Happy But it doesn't stop us loving Italy Very Happy

[But I do wonder if it accords with EU rules - especially when you see the 'furore' from Europe about UK not wanting to pay certain benefits to 'migrant workers]
alan h
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 am

The UK wont pay benefits to UK peeps that have worked all their lives in the UK Alan.....and paid their taxes and NI contributions.  In the UK I would have got some assistance - tax credits being on such a low income here....no such joy when you are not a resident UK....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:44 am

Also,for the last 7 years I have been 'commuting' too and fro to the UK to work for the NHS assuming I would be paid my government pension when I am 60 (4 yrs time)....oh no, now told I have to wait til I am 67....considering my move here was based on the promise of a pension at 60 I am now unable to remain financially independant and will need to review the situation....Life everywhere is not certain nowadays !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:06 am

I'm afraid I think it's fair enough that non-residents pay more property taxes as non-residents are not paying any income taxes (a proportion of which is a local tax) so have to fund the comuni in some way.

Is it the same in the UK with Council Tax?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:21 am

How about we stop all this complaining about things we cannot change - IVA, pensions etc, etc. I know the UK pension change was a shock but regards Italy we have all chosen to live here either full or part time with all it entails - why not celebrate the good things we love about Italy? Contemplating all the negative things in our life is not good - why not concentrate on the things that give us joy?

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 am

Well it used to annoy me neighbours in UK owning 2nd homes there only used to pay half the council tax....Maybe that has changed....  However I agree with Admin, non-residents here should pay up and shut up and contribute something to their local comune or comuni...?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:27 am

Sorry Hazy,but you are one of many that have indeed benefited from the pension situation and have done well....We are not moaning just expressing feelings.
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Ghiro.
No need to eat humble pie, just have a good pork pie with a good mustard, or a steak and ale one. You will feel much better and probably make us envious.  Sad Sad
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 pm

PORK PIES !!! Where, I'll drive !! One of the VERY few things I miss !!

Razz
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum