The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fannulloni beware!

+3
modicasa
ghiro
Gala Placidia
7 posters

Go down

Fannulloni beware! Empty Fannulloni beware!

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:13 pm

It would be interesting to see whether these new policies help to improve the image and efficiency of the public sector http://www.euronews.com/newswires/3128049-italys-renzi-promises-iron-fist-against-public-sector-shirkers/
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Fannulloni beware! Empty Re: Fannulloni beware!

Post by ghiro Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Fingers crossed that the 'iron fist' works!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Fingers crossed, indeed! This move may follow recent findings at San Remo and other cities http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-italy-absenteeism-idUKKCN0SG27520151022
Although I think that it has become endemic and perfectly acceptable to many people. Sad
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:11 am

I think it has become acceptable to those who work in the public sector where it is rife.  Everyone else is heartily sick of it - the sky news poll had 90% in favour of it.  The problem is and will remain the magistrates who just reintegrate the lot.   The only way to make this work, would be to abrogate the previous laws so its not open to 'interpretation'.  But they dont do that here.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:53 am

Yes, Modi, you are right, this big problem requires a big reform and a complete change of mentality. To have a job in the public service seems to be the ultimate goal for many, so that they may become fannulloni and do whatever they want while The country keeps on supporting them... Well, it is start... Although, as you say, there are no guarantees as long as they are protected by laws open to interpretation.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:50 am

I see this as a bit of 'Sabre Rattling' have a quick purge, sack a few miscreants and hope to placate public anger. The problem is ingrained in all public service areas where this 'job for life' mentality flourishes, until they are held culpable and monitored  performance wise, then nothing will really change. We know of several instances where Public Officials get and maintain a position because of Who they know not What they know.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am

Has anyone been to see Quo Vado yet? It's a new Italian comedy about just this subject.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am

Flip wrote:.............. We know of several instances where Public Officials get and maintain a position because of Who they know not What they know.

I think that can easily be said about most 'governments' - national and local. 

It just seems pretty blatant/endemic in Italy. 

[ Laughing But at least you know who to approach if you want something approved quickly Laughing ]
alan h
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:43 am

Sabre rattling - it depends.  The important thing is that the 'responsabile' will be held accountable, and that might make things change.  Here for example we have had 14 staff of the comune who all clocked in for the others and went off to do other jobs.  The mayor - to his credit - tried to sack them but the judge sent them all back to work.  At the local CUP one manager and two staff went on holiday to Malta while being signed in to work.  They were suspended - on full pay for 3 months, and then reintegrated having to pay back the days they were on holiday.  There is no deterrent.  If they were sacked and lost all their pension rights people would think twice before defrauding the taxpayer.

modicasa
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:37 pm

I am looking forward to watching Quo Vado as soon as it is released in Spain, and because it is having such a success since they started showing it in Italy, it looks as if I will be able to have my wish granted very soon. This type of problem is not confined to Italy, so it is good that a film reflects the problem. It helps to educate the public. If nobody talks openly about the problem, people tend to believe that such a thing is absolutely normal.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:59 am

I agree with you Gala, this problem is not confined to Italy.  The NHS pays its workers full pay for 6 months when 'sick' and half pay for the following 6 months.  Of course this system is abused and people with coughs or similar minor ailments milk the system. Whilst not as bad as getting others to sign you in at work and holidaying in Malta it is still wrong !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:09 am

Angie, We see it everywhere. And it is worrying to realize that a job in the public service is similar to a life insurance policy. On the other hand, in other sectors, people have no job security at all...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 pm

Angela Fuller wrote: The NHS pays its workers full pay for 6 months when 'sick' and half pay for the following 6 months.  

I don't think this is totally an accurate assessment Angela and is a slight misrepresentation. The NHS, like most Public bodies, pays it's employees 'Statutory Sick Pay' (currently about £85/ week) which is far below the hourly rate when in work, when employees fill the requirements for Sick Leave after specific years of service. They may get enhanced rates through 'Occupational Schemes' within their contracts but I assure you they only get 'Full Pay' for this time if it fills certain criteria.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:16 pm

No sorry Flip, you are not right.  I worked for the NHS in a hospital with 100's of other workers for a number of years until recently and know exactly what was paid to those on sick leave as written in their contract....As I said, full pay for 6 months as written in my contract of work and half pay for another 6 months....I think your assessment is one applicable quite a few years ago.,(maybe 20 yrs plus) things have changed....not necessarily for the better....even Social Service emplyees get the same sickness benefits so has been the case for decades.
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:45 am

Flip, I apologise.  There is a table on-line showing sickness entitlements, and it does appear to depend on your length of service.  As I worked with those who had contributed in the main, after training more than 5 yrs they were indeed entitled to full pay for 6 monthe and half pay for the next 6 months. (not £85 a week as you quoted).  For those who had completed 3 yrs,they got 4 months full pay and 4 months half pay.....but all in all not too bad......
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:32 am

But im sure it doesnt apply to cleaners, receptionists and the like surely? Having known many nurses all of whom have appalling back problems from having to lift people in and out of beds for years, I can't say Im surprised.  However, it still pales in contrast to the doctor from Messina who had done 9 days work in 15 years and was on full pay, had a second job, and was on 'formation courses'.....

modicasa
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:13 am

Modi, The cleaners and catering staff are in the main, contracted from private companies....receptionists would get the sick pay entitlement being NHS  employees.  There are very strict rules re: lifting people too now.....hoists have to be used to prevent back injuries....I do not think here thay pay much attention to the well being of medical staff and clients as yet  (providing equipment to enable day to day 'normal' needs to be assisted with the right sort of aids....may be wrong..? The doctor in Messina worked the system well like many do here...but it did give me a laugh !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum