The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opening a bank account in Italy

5 posters

Go down

Opening a bank account in Italy Empty Opening a bank account in Italy

Post by Stratocaster Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:46 pm

Is it possible to open a bank account with an italian bank when not being resident in Italy?

Is there a down side to opening an italian bank account (charges etc)?

Stratocaster
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Opening a bank account in Italy Empty Re: Opening a bank account in Italy

Post by Hazy Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:00 am

You'll need a codice fiscale and also to forget about free banking! As a resident I initially banked with Banca Marche but quickly changed to Banca Posta where the charges are merely €4/month as opposed to the much larger ones I had been paying. Good luck!

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Italian bank fees are amongst the highest in the world, but the convenience of organising direct debit for most of your bills is worth it. To open a bank account you will need your passport, codice fiscale and some document that could be used as evidence of address in Italy (title deed, rent contract, utilities bill...)
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Gala is quite right - as she always is, thank goodness! I have all my utility bills (gas, electricity, water, phone) set up by direct debit so they will be paid if I am not here - you don't get any reminders to pay, just a couple of weeks. It doesn't cost me any more and does give peace of mind.

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by clombardelli Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:06 am

No internet banking is one of the downsides of having an Italian bank account , but an English permanent address.  Whilst our bank offers internet access to Italian based customers, as I have my bank statements sent to the UK - monthly if I am lucky - they won't give me internet access to check whether direct debits have gone out, or what my balance is.

clombardelli
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Panner Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:43 pm

I have had an Italian non resident account for some years with Banca Sella - with UK postal address. You get a security key with constantly changing numbers - which you use when logging on and for confirming payments. I do not get paper statements, just log on and look as well as arrange payments/F24s etc.

I suggest you ask again and if no luck check out some of the other banks as most now provide internet access

Panner
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 am

We are non-residents and we have Internet banking and direct debits with Banca Monte dei Paschi di Sienna... We decided not to get written statements, as we can check these online. And if we have any problems, we simply call the bank and they are very helpful. As I said, worth the money we pay.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down