Condensing Boilers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Condensing Boilers

Post by alan h on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 am

I have been told that I must replace my existing central heating boiler, as it is not a condensing type boiler.  

My present non condensing boiler works perfectly well, and has been serviced regularly

Others say it only has to be a condensing boiler for new /replacement installations.

Anyone know what the real situation is?

[logic says it should apply on replacement of existing boilers, [as in UK], but logic is not an Italian legal strong point]
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Condensed

Post by Sagraiasolar on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 am

Condensing boilers have been compulsory for new fits in the UK for some years now. The Italians were way behind in catching on so just about all boilers in Italy will still be non-condensing types.  As new laws get snuck in without notice there may be some new legislation but I think it would be highly unlikely that the whole nation has to upgrade their old boilers forthwith.
However - condensing boilers are 10 – 14% more efficient than non condensing and there are even more gains over an old boiler - 30% in extreme cases.  If you spend a lot on gas it can make sense to scrap an old working boiler even when it is working!  It's a bit like light bulbs where nearly all non-LED bulbs should have been binned by now.
N.B. The efficiency gains from condensing boilers can vary depending on what they are connected to. If the return temp to the boiler is too high then the hot water vapour in the burnt gas will not condense and that latent heat goes up the chimney. Heat banks have a mixer which blends in cold water to make sure that the boiler runs in condensing mode all the time.
Sagraiasolar
Elder

http://www.originaltwist.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Condensing Boilers

Post by alan h on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm

".....  but I think it would be highly unlikely that the whole nation has to upgrade their old boilers forthwith.
However - condensing boilers are 10 – 14% more efficient than non condensing and there are even more gains over an old boiler - 30% in extreme cases.  ........."

I'm of the same opinion about replacement of existing boiler - but need a definitive answer about legal requirement to do so.

On efficiency etc - only use the place for about 10 weeks a year, mainly in Summer, so spending Euro2600.00 to replace it seems to be not worthwhile
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

I found this if it helps. It seems Piemonte (you are in Piemonte aren't you?) has sme specific local rules
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bollo Blu?

Post by Sagraiasolar on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:44 pm

.. here in Umbria they make us get a 'bollo blu' for boilers- like an MOT for €110    If you have the same thing then I guess the man who checks the boiler for you would have to know the rules before issuing the cert.
Sagraiasolar
Elder

http://www.originaltwist.com

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:15 pm

It depends where your boiler is.  If it is inside then it must be a condenser, or with a camera stagno.  If it is on an outside wall then you may be ok.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Admin wrote:I found this if it helps. It seems Piemonte (you are in Piemonte aren't you?) has sme specific local rules

Thanks for that - but my Italian is not good enough to really understand it.
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Sagraiasolar wrote:.. here in Umbria they make us get a 'bollo blu' for boilers- like an MOT for €110    If you have the same thing then I guess the man who checks the boiler for you would have to know the rules before issuing the cert.

That would work, if you have a Certificate issued - us 'Mountain Men' have never registered having a boiler [apparently, according to the Service Manager, its quite common not to here in the mountains - we didn't because we didn't know we had to] - we just book a service, which is done, but not certificated
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top