The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA

+7
stevegwmonkseaton
jacie g
Geotherm
lancashire lass
Flip
ghiro
Gala Placidia
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA Empty EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:31 pm

There has been a 5.2 earthquake with its epicentre in the Massa Carrara area, just at the border with the Garfagnana and the Emilia Romagna region. There has been no reports of victims or damages, but it has been felt in many regions. We did not notice anything in our area of Bagni di Lucca, but perhaps others may have noticed it, as it was fairly strong. I do hope that nobody was hurt!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA Empty Re: EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA

Post by ghiro Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Oh dear.  My younger daughter and 3 friends are flying out to our house this evening.  I'll update you about damage etc as and when I know more.

Very worrying Sad
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA Empty Re: EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:33 pm

It looks as if, in spite of the strength, the quake has caused no major damage or victims. a few elderly people with existing health conditions had to be assisted; however, it looks as if it has not been that bad, thank God!  I hope and pray that it will just be a scary situation and nothing more.  Please let us know your daughter's comments. Fingers crossed!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:35 am

We noticed it as we were sitting outside having Lunch at the time and the table and Gazebo decided to have a dance, no damage though. There was another minor one at 03.45 this morning as well.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:20 am

We felt it at 12.30 whilst making lunch i had to cling on to some of my dishes as the kitchen shook so badly, all the pans were banging against the wall.

Lancashire lass

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:14 pm

I have been talking to people and I heard mixed reports. A friend shopping in Lucca noticed that lamps and a few objects on shelves started moving, a couple whe lives near the epicentre said that it was their worst experience ever... and they are from California and used to experience quakes and rattles. I conacted them immediately and they were fine, although they had some damage in the house. My neighbour did not notice anything - just like us- on the other hand, her son, who was studying at the far end of their home, noticed a bit of a shake.  My neighbour's mother, who was staying with family at Viareggio, said that everyone was quite shaken and there was a bit of panic...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Daughter has confirmed that all is well at Casa Ghiro.  What a relief! Very Happy
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Great news! Glad to hear. Very Happy
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:13 pm

ghiro wrote:Daughter has confirmed that all is well at Casa Ghiro.  What a relief! Very Happy
Good to hear.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:09 pm

We have just had another one about five minutes ago

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:50 pm

lancashire lass wrote:We have just had another one about five minutes ago

Big or little?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Not as bad as last Thursday but still scary

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Seems to be a lot of activity in your area, hope you are all keeping ok.

http://cnt.rm.ingv.it/
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Strength 4.4 at 17:02 with the epicentre just east of Aulla.  Not a comfortable situation Sad
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:12 pm

ghiro wrote:Strength 4.4 at 17:02 with the epicentre just east of Aulla.  Not a comfortable situation Sad

Agree with you totally. We had one here a few years ago and it was strange watching the walls wobbling like jelly. Thought at first it was too much wine!!
Not a nice feeling though, if you are not used to it.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by jacie g Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Have to agree with the above statements - and can't imagine how scary it must be to be at the epicentre and hope that those closer are safe. We are in Vecchiano and the whole house wobbled and rattled on Friday and once again this evening. Very weird as the TV was on and everything there normal yet our house
was doing a little wheeble.

jacie g

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:05 pm

It is a bit worrying when you see there were in excess of 50 quakes above 2.0 the day of the 5.2 quake. Normally there is about 5-10 per day here in Italy. Fortunately not many result in injury or destruction.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:25 am

Apparently another over night about 01.00 same area (Aulla) reports of some people injured. If we get another today I'm putting our Evacuation plan into operation - Bag packed, Water & food in car, all doors unlocked, torches and blankets in car, and valuable documents stored in Orto shed.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Sorry, we were travelling back to Spain. I do hope that there are no victims or major damages. It must be a very scary experience.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by La Dolcevita Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Hoping its quietened down for you - it was actually one of our criteria when deciding which region to live in -ie as few earthquakes as possible.  I'm a bit of a baby in both earthquakes and storms so took the lath of least resistance!

La Dolcevita

http://www.italyinspired.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Nothing today and apparently only a few minor shakes yesterday. Fino alla prossima volta.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Good to know, although, as I said, we did not notice anything and we were having lunch at home...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:03 pm

I do hope any of you with houses in the area haven't suffered any damage, and hopefully this swarm of tremors has finished.

One thing to mention - even though your house is earthquake proofed and won't come to any harm, your furniture isn't earthquake proof! People get hurt in even quite minor tremors when a bookshelf or wardrobe decides it is going to fall over and whack them - so do remember to attach the tops of such items firmly to the wall with a bracket and some decent sized screws.
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Sound advice as ever Lax. Very Happy

During times of anticipated seismic activity OH and I surround our bed with empty bottles (Peroni & Schweppes tonic, being our favourite tipples) standing on their necks.  Hopefully, by falling over, they'll wake us up and give us enough time to evacuate the house before the furniture starts dropping on our heads.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:26 am

Careful! Broken glass causes lots of injuries in the event of an earthquake as does flying debris. Our home is over 600 years old and on bed rock. It does not have a single crack... and it must have seen some activity. Hopefully, it will keep on going strong for another 600 years.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum