The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Language

4 posters

Go down

Language Empty Language

Post by FBower Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Could we have an area for discussing language problems? My son recently walked the Sentiero degli Dei on the Amalfi coast. Shouldn't it be Sentiero dei Dei? A mouthful I know but can anyone explain why the rule has changed (gli before spaghetti, zii i.e masculine impure s or z) or is there another rule which I don't know about yet?

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Language Empty Re: Language

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Good idea! And to answer your query, it is an exception due to an irregular plural;
Singular: il dio
Plural: gli dei, hence it is Sentiero degli Dei
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Demeanor Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:23 pm

FBower wrote:Could we have an area for discussing language problems? My son recently walked the Sentiero degli Dei on the Amalfi coast. Shouldn't it be Sentiero dei Dei? A mouthful I know but can anyone explain why the rule has changed (gli before spaghetti, zii i.e masculine impure s or z) or is there another rule which I don't know about yet?

Sentiero degli Dei = Path of the Gods.  Gala is right - it is an irregular plural.

Why not write something about your sons trip along this wonderful coastline? (or get him to join and he can write something)
Miss Demeanor
Miss Demeanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Last year we stayed in Praiano for a week. Fabulous! I wanted to do the Sentiero  degli Dei, and this is how I found out about this particular irregular plural. Unfortunately, I have a knee problem and my husband worried about the consequences of that walk. On the other hand, we were staying in a house in the upper part of Praiano and the views were breathtaking!!! I could manage the walk up and down, through a maze of lanes down to the beautiful parish church of St Luke. It happened that it was the Saint's day and we were able to witness an incredible procession through the town. Oh!  And we were only a few meters away from the Locanda degli Dei.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm

The Amalfi Coast is referred to as 'God's own Country' in our house...
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:35 pm

I would put together in that category the Amalfi Coast and the Cinque Terre... I would add Portofino, although I would need to get rid of the tourists, although that applies everywhere. We went to Praiano in early October and most of the tourists were gone, which was great!  Also, the weather was fine and not too hot.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down