LPG Tanks

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LPG Tanks

Post by charlitaly on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi,
10 years ago I had an in ground tank supplied by Liquigas. My contract expired sometime ago and I have continued buying from them. 
The price of gas now is extortionate 1.34 plus IVA per litre so I would like to know if it is possible to change companies and keep the same tank?
Many of my friends in the area pay around 75 or 80 plus IVA form other suppliers.
Is the ownership of the tank still with Liquigas?

It isn't an option to excavate it and get a new one from someone else.
I would be interested to hear other experiences of the same issue.

charlitaly
Contributor

http://www.lunigianavilla.com

Back to top Go down

Re: LPG Tanks

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:50 pm

From what I understand the tank is theirs... I know of a few people who have had trouble getting these companies to take their tank away. We did so with ours a few months back, as we swapped over to small LPG bottles because we only used it for cooking. The company that we had "Butan" (I think) came next day and took the tank away... Think you will also find that there is now all sorts of new rule and regs if you try to get another company tank e.g. fence etc... We've also heard a number of other people who have haggled with their current supplier and had the price/L reduced...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:46 pm

I believe that LPG is cheaper to customers who don't have access to mains gas.  This may account for the different prices quoted by charlitaly.
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:15 am

You have the 'bombolone' in comodato d'uso.  CHange supplier and they will take their tank away.  (Its also a safety thing, the new supplier wont be responsible for a tank from someone else).  It doesnt matter if its interrato or above ground, the new supplier won't accept the old tank.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ourtoscana on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:00 pm

About 3 years ago I spoke to an area manager from the Gas supplier mentioned above. I told them that I was going to rip out their tanks and replace them with an alternative source unless they could provide a meaningful discount and convince. The following month they reduced their rates from 4.30euro/m3 to 2.60euro/m3 ... a staggering 40% discount!!!

ourtoscana
Elder

http://www.ourtoscana.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 pm

Well done you ourtoscana.  I'll try it with Butagas next time we need filling up and let you know how we get on (if we live to tell the tale!).
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by ourtoscana on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Last year a manager from a local gas company supplying LPG to the area said "we're finished with the advent of those bloody air source heat pumps"

They know it's over and the overcharging days are over!

ourtoscana
Elder

http://www.ourtoscana.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm

It is called "competition" and it performs "miracles" Laughing
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by charlitaly on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:45 pm

I have just finished negotiating with the Liquigas and have signed a new 2 year contract for which I pay 90 euro a year for 'maintenance'.
They have reduced the price of the gas from 1.37 a litre to .83 a litre. On just one fill of 650 litres that has saved me 351 euro so well worth the 90 euro charge.

charlitaly
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Well done! Congratulations!
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Good result Charlitaly ....... well done

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Well done indeed charlitaly.  A result! Smile Smile 

You've inspired me to wage war on ButanGas next time we need our bomboloni filled.  For my information do you have a supply of Metano (mains) gas available, should you want it?
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by charlitaly on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 pm

There is a large tank of LPG(fed by Liquigas) for my small village but I am too far away from it, which is why I had to have my own tank so no I don't have another option.
Good luck with your negotiation.

charlitaly
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Thank you charlitaly.  Fingers crossed!

Although we live in a very rural location the Metano gas main just happens to run past our house, going from village A to village B, with a black pipe sticking out of the ground!

When we were having our building work done in 2008, and the gas boiler had been installed in May, our geometra rang the gas company to get us connected.
'Of course' they said 'we'll be round in late January or early February next year'! Shocked
'But you don't understand' he said. 'They're moving into the house in 2 weeks time'!
'No' they said 'it's you who don't understand!  We'll be round in late January or early February' Sad Sad 

Which is why we have our very own LPG bomboloni.
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Ghiro, I can assure you that "metano" will be worth waiting for. It has made an enormous difference. In our case, we did not have to wait that long. It was an easy connection as we are practically downtown (about 200m from the PO), and it is great, convenient and inexpensive (by Italian standards...) Rolling Eyes
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 pm

But Gala, dear Gala, correct me if I'm wrong.

With Metano gas you pay a 'standing charge' for being connected - whether or not you use any gas.  And, if you do, you then also pay for the gas you use.

At least, with LPG, you only pay for what you use.  Which, since we're only in Italia 4-5 months/year, means we're not paying the 'standing charge' for the other 7-8 months.
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 pm

I have to check with my hubby -who is sound asleep right now - as he looks after the bills (and I listen to his comments) but we also stay here for less than 6 months and I understand that we had to pay for the connection, but from then on it's according to the meter readings. Perhaps, there is a minimal charge, but it is not a big deal. I will confirm tomorrow. Good night for now !
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Managed to check with hubby before he falls asleep... Yes, there is a small canon, but he says it is so convenient that he is happy to pay...
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks Gala.

I wasn't aware that trypanosomiasis was endemic outside sub-Saharan Africa! Very Happy Very Happy
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 am

No, it does not happen everyday! But we have been working very hard doing millions of things, as we have family arriving today. Very exhausting Razz
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

GPL supplies/tanks & changing contracts

Post by sebastiano on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:16 am

you've probably sorted all this out by now...but anyway.
we had our GPL tank installed by a gas supplier during our house rennovation.this was put in with no charge.This supplier used to charge us every time they filled the tank for the amount deposited which meant "sudden" bills from between 1.500>3000. euro a time.After many years during a fire brigade inspection they pointed out amicably that it was no longer to norm in that it did not have the regulatory 1,80 zinc fence etc etc.More or less at the same time we had a visit from someone i knew who represented a competitor "Eurogas" who asked if we wanted to change.They were much more competitive with their price,and he said that rather than charging for the tank refill they measured the monthly consumption and charged only for that.they also said they would take out the competitors tank ,undertake the bonifica of the tank (it has to be completely drained and liquid azote has to be put in to avoid explosions) with relative certification attached,install their tank complete with fence/signs and everything else including the official change of contract with the previous supplier with whom anyway contractual obligations had anyway expired.So we accepted and the above was done.Shortly after the original supplier sent us a bill for 800 euro for ,they said, breach of contract.So we asked our new supplier to deal with this in writing on our behalf.They did.Then a battle lasting 18 months ensued by which time the original supplier had thrown in first a credit recuperation company then their lawyers and the sum was now over 3000 euro.Every time Eurogas responded to them now putting their lawyers into the fray.It has now ended we paid nothing.we pay eurogas only the single months consumption before invoicing they send us preventively the price of the gas per month on filling the ship in Algeria so you know beforehand the price fluctuations,they send their bill by e-mail,and we pay by direct debit all more civilized and we're still paying less than 70 eurocents xlitre.They are Eurogas working out of Senigallia -marche although we are over 200kms away.we can recommend them.
sebastiano
Elder

http://www.contradadurano.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:35 am

sebastiano.............GREAT post, I have heard that some other people local to where I live have moved to them in exactly the same way. I think the 70c per litre is a superb (very low) rate.

Welll done and thanks !

V
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:58 am

I agree with "V", great post Sebastiano, thanks for taking the time to detail what looks like a very good deal for many.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sagraiasolar on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:32 pm

hold on, hold on ... the words 'cheap' and 'gas' should never be used in the same sentence. Gas is around 6 times more expensive than wood, and solar ( if the sun was to shine) is free. For anyone starting a new house project you should know that a properly matched stove and panels will pretty much cover all requirements. If you don't fancy the log lugging then a modest ASHP will make a good addition.
It's being said more often now .. the days of the gas boiler are numbered.
Sagraiasolar
Elder

http://www.originaltwist.com

Back to top Go down

Good reminder Sagraisolar...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Sagraiasolar wrote:hold on, hold on ... the words 'cheap' and 'gas' should never be used in the same sentence. Gas is around 6 times more expensive than wood, and solar ( if the sun was to shine) is free. For anyone starting a new house project you should know that a properly matched stove and panels will pretty much cover all requirements. If you don't fancy the log lugging then a modest ASHP will make a good addition.It's being said more often now .. the days of the gas boiler are numbered.

Good reminder Sagraisolar... Everything I've read (mostly from people on here mind you) says that gas is not cheap! The only gas we were using was for the gas hob, but our big gas tank was empty (after 2 years use), so we switched over to small gas bottles. We do have sansa heating, but could not do without the wood burning stove as we love it and it gives us  exactly what we like i.e. our main room as hot as we want...  Smile  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top