The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bread

+10
Vicino
Miss Demeanor
Gala Placidia
Geotherm
Admin
lancashire lass
Bartholomew
Flip
stevegwmonkseaton
ghiro
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Bread - Page 3 Empty Bread

Post by ghiro Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

There are very many things OH & I love about living in Italia.  Among them are the food, the weather (especially in the summer but we also like skiing in the Apennines in the winter), the food, the very friendly natives, the food, the art & history, the food, the landscape and views and........oh yes, the food. Smile 

But the one thing that disappoints us is Italian bread.  It always seems to be stale before one even cuts it.  Sad   So now we make our own.  We brought a breadmaker out from the UK, buy 'Molino Spadoni' bread flour here, and away we go!

Nothing is better first thing in the morning, as you enter the kitchen, than the smell of freshly baked bread Smile  

You too?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Bread - Page 3 Empty Re: Bread

Post by Gala Placidia Wed May 28, 2014 5:03 am

Enough on my plate, already!  Razz
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Bread - Page 3 Empty bread...(a

Post by sebastiano Wed May 28, 2014 12:56 pm

have to be careful when one says the bread -"in italy" - given that it's different everywhere you go
i live in the Marche which certainly takes the crown for the worst bread in the country given that it's so good in Sicily-calbria-puglia -campania -most of lazio -and a lot of the north of the country.
like someone else mentioned we  buy our bread locally but the pugliese version (yes from simona in Amandola) BUT periodically we have to "pull her up" as it sometimes tends to become less salted and whiter then i have to call her to tell her she's slipping again and must add more hard grain that confers a more yellow colour and more salt.Not to take any merits but we got her to make it in the first place after five years of having our bread brought up to us from Altamura -Bari which was to say the least complicated.At that time the local bakers assured me there was no demand for such bread..we managed to get them to give it a try..then they had always run out of it (as they only made a little..no demand etc) then veeery slowly they realised that there was a demand (!!??) still it's the best we can get locally up to now and alternatives except when just out of the oven have all proved to be much worse.we also make our own bread (by hand) much easier but not all the time.
still,i agree, bread remains an issue ..i also dislike the bread in Umbria and Toscana too
sebastiano
sebastiano
Elder

http://www.contradadurano.it

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed May 28, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks Sabastiano for confirmation that the pugliese varies elsewhere also. Just wish we could be bothered to call up the guy that makes ours and tell them some are not as yellow (again I think it is the biga that does this). Quite often we will get 3-4 and one of them will be smaller, tighter  consistency and not as yellow. I'm sure I can now spot them just by the size and so avoid them. We enjoy our fresh bread on Saturday afternoon, but freeze the rest in halves, not quite as good as fresh on the day, but 10x better than the other local "tipo" rubbish!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna Wed May 28, 2014 2:22 pm

ITALIAN BREAD

Two old guys, one 80 and one 87, were sitting on their usual
park bench one morning. The 87 year old had just finished his
morning jog and wasn't even short of breath.
The 80 year old was amazed at his friend's stamina and asked
him what he did to have so much energy. The 87 year old said,
"well I eat Italian bread every day. It keeps your energy level
high and you'll have great stamina with the ladies."

So, on the way home, the 80 year old stops at the bakery. As he

was looking around, the lady asked if he needed any help.

He said, "Do you have any Italian bread?"

He said, "Yes, there's a whole shelf of it, would you like some?"

He said, "I want 5 loaves."

She said , "My goodness, 5 loaves...it'll get hard."

He replied, "Does everybody in the world know about this Italian

bread but ME"?
L'uomodellaluna
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed May 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Well Today we had some delicious fresh Pugliese bread from LeClerc/Conad crispy outer with lovely moist inside, I think it depends who cooks it as this was cooked instore and spot on.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed May 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Well, I'll try Leclerc/Conad next time, thanks Flip. By the way, the ducks at Massaciuccoli did enjoy their bread. All gone!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed May 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Nice one Luna....  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:34 pm

So I arrived at Casa Ghiro at 11:00pm last night.  Not surprisingly the cupboard was bare so this morning I set off to my local Conad for provisions.  I did notice an unusually large number of young men on their bicycles but thought nothing of it (the taut lycra-clad derriers cheered me up no end to tell the truth!!)  Shocked 

On arriving at Conad I was taken aback by the lack of bread available.  Taking ticket number 95 I dutifully waited my turn, noticing that there were only 2 panini left.  Number 93 bought half a loaf and left.  Number 94 bought the other half of the loaf and then said he wanted panini.  Luckily he only wanted one so I got the very last one available.  Result (or so I thought!).  Smile 

Shortly afterwards I met some friends who were bemoaning the fact that everything was shut because today is Republic Day - something I had completely forgotten!!!  Notwithstanding I had done my shop and carried my precious panino home.

It soon became clear that, being a Bank Holiday, my panino had not been baked this month!  Sad   The bread knife made no impression on it.  Luckily the motosega is working well.

All I need now is to find the address of that nice local dentist to fix my broken teeth tomorrow.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Quite possibly they had no bread deliveries since Friday or Saturday and bread here does not keep very well. Where is your bread maker, ghiro?  Razz
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:Where is your bread maker, Ghiro?  Razz
Waiting for the flour I bought this morning Gala.  Smile  Smile   As I said the cupboard was bare.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum