The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health cover for long term residents

+4
Flip
lancashire lass
stevegwmonkseaton
mammamia
8 posters

Go down

Health cover for long term residents Empty Health cover for long term residents

Post by mammamia Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 am

My best mate has just got his forever health card as he has got the certificate that he has been resident for more than 5 years. I have a question though, his wife is not resident, but would she be covered by his cover now? This is not a situation I have come across before, but as we have been told that when you get permanent health cover it is like an Italian, I wondered if the whole family was covered??
mammamia
mammamia
Elder

Back to top Go down

Health cover for long term residents Empty Re: Health cover for long term residents

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:51 am

Can't see an answer HERE , they might have to contact them.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Health cover for long term residents Empty health service for visitors

Post by lancashire lass Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Question?
I have had reason to visit the doctor whilst in Bagni and been sent for a blood test, unfortunately it has happened before. I usually go and have the test and pay the "ticket" which is 32 euros. This time I have been told I have to pay 62 Euros because an extra 30 euros is added for foreigners! I am assuming that by foreigners they mean visitors as I have an Italian passport and am registered with Aire. Since the UK health service say that I should pay the same as residents on their web site is this legal? Their justification for charging this amount is that as a visitor you don't file a tax return and therefore it is assumed you earn too much to qualify for the ticket!!
Anybody come across this before?

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Health cover for long term residents Empty Re: Health cover for long term residents

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:15 pm

lancashire lass wrote:Question?I have had reason to visit the doctor whilst in Bagni and been sent for a blood test, unfortunately it has happened before. I usually go and have the test and pay the "ticket" which is 32 euros. This time I have been told I have to pay 62 Euros because an extra 30 euros is added for foreigners! I am assuming that by foreigners they mean visitors as I have an Italian passport and am registered with Aire. Since the UK health service say that I should pay the same as residents on their web site is this legal? Their justification for charging this amount is that as a visitor you don't file a tax return and therefore it is assumed you earn too much to qualify for the ticket!!Anybody come across this before?
Have a look at the link in my above post (where it has "HERE"). from what you have said I would be surprised if they could charge you extra, but locally they seem to be 10-15 years behind legislation. Someone we know were told that the UK is not a part of the EU because they don't use the Euro Embarassed  Not sure of the best way forward for you as you have not said if you are a EU citizen (guess from your handle you are) and/or if you live in Italy all the time? If just visiting, then I believe you are correct and an E1HC would entitle you to the same as any Italian...It's a mine field... affraid affraid 

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Yes i am resident in the uk and have dutifuly showed my European health insurance card, I spend about 4 months a year in Italy and whilst i do not seek to have medical assistance in Italy by the law of averages especially at my age it is unavoidable some times

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:45 pm

If you have an Italian Passport, you are and Italian Citizen ergo entitled to a Italian EHIC. Get yourself down to the ASL at Fornoli and get them to give you one. It is not dependant on whether you are a Full Time resident or not; but if they ask just say yes and say you are a 'Casalinga', job done.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Just remember everyone that an Italian EHIC does not entitle you to Italian healthcover like a resident. You also have to be inscribed at the ASL and egt your white card / bit of paper.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:35 pm

I think the issue is that since  I don't file a tax return in Italy I have no way of proving my income and therefore my eligability to the ticket, i believe and I am no expert, that above a certain level of income you don't qualify for the ticket.  i don't think that issue would go away with whatever health insurance i had. of course no visitor could provide this.

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Health cover for long term residents Empty Link for information

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Your E1HC as I recall is only for short stays, less than 3 month I believe. But if you are getting UK benefit (including old age pension) then I believe you are entitled to to "S1" (or equivalent ) cover, which is longer term than an E1HC. See NHS SITE for more information...

Last edited by stevegwmonkseaton on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add to "S1" details)

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Lancashire Lass was the extra €30 definitely only for foreigners? Here in Liguria we ahev to pay an extra €30 on top of the ticket cost for an appointment with a consultant and an extra €10 per red slip for tests. It is a recent rule that allows health authorities to raise extra money. Not all of them have done so but they have here. Could it have been that?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:29 pm

The other thing to investigate is claiming it back in the UK (see previous link, it's in there )

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:25 pm

I do not spend more than two months at a time in Italy so I think I am still covered. I will try to claim it back when I am back at home. Whilst I am a pensioner I am not over 65 and you have to be to qualify in Italy I believe?? In the meantime if I need another blood test I have been told that there is a private clinic in Fornali that does them and it is cheaper than paying at ASL. I shall investigate and let you know. Don't you just love Italian red tape????

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Health cover for long term residents Empty Over 65 in Italy...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:17 pm

lancashire lass wrote:I do not spend more than two months at a time in Italy so I think I am still covered. I will try to claim it back when I am back at home. Whilst I am a pensioner I am not over 65 and you have to be to qualify in Italy I believe?? In the meantime if I need another blood test I have been told that there is a private clinic in Fornali that does them and it is cheaper than paying at ASL. I shall investigate and let you know. Don't you just love Italian red tape????
Over 65 in Italy is not what I was thinking, if you are female as your handle suggests and in receipt of a UK pension, I believe you would qualify for longer term cover i.e. should you become resident in Italy. In your case I'm quite sure you would be able to claim it back in the UK in any case. Either way Overseas Group in Newcastle should be able to advise you. They are here according to the NHS site :-

Overseas Healthcare Team
Room MO601, Durham House
Washington
Tyne & Wear
NE38 7SF

Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm)

The E1HC bit says to call, my experience (knowing many a former employee) tells me it's better to write.... Very Happy Very Happy 

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:43 am

Are there any country specific benefits for 'over 65s' here in Italy ? The only thing I have come across is discount at Oasi supermarket !  Sad 

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:01 am

If you are resident in Italy and are over Italian retirement age and have a low income then you don't need to pay fees to the hospital or for drugs like the rest if us. For the exact age and minimum income check the posters at the cassa of  your local hospital or ASL office. You need to get a certificate from the ASL every year to prove this. Other than that I don't know of anything unless you are on a low income and meet the ISEE requirements but then they apply to everyone and not just pensioners.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks P,

I'm guessing that I don't have a low income (I'll check), does no income, mean 'low' income ?!

Not important to me per se......, I assume the older Italiani population get by somehow ?!

Happy holidays !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:16 am

A good time perhaps to remind people they can claim winter fuel payment if living outside the UK, but still in the EU e.g. Italy. The UK lost their EU court case over this in 2012 and now (for the time being) have to pay it to those in the EU and/or Switzerland - How to Claim LINK

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:23 am

I have American cliets who need health insurance for their residency. Any suggestions as to a company who can also provide the policy docs in Italian?

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Health cover for long term residents Empty Groupama Assicurazioni Spa

Post by clombardelli Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:26 am

My husband and I have taken out a policy with the above company - www.groupama.it.  We have had it now for 3 years - not had to use to though - but it covers not just Italy, but worldwide healthcover - obviously with limits per treatment. Cost is around E300 per person.

We bought the policy through one of their agents - based in Ripe San Ginesio - so if you are in Marche I will give you the contact numbers.

clombardelli
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum