The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do we do it?

+6
Flip
Vicino
Gala Placidia
Lisa C.
stevegwmonkseaton
ghiro
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Why do we do it? - Page 3 Empty Why do we do it?

Post by ghiro Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Followers of this forum could, quite reasonably, wonder why sane people chose to live in Italy in the first place or have a home there. Shocked 

Recent posts have referred to:

• earthquakes
  • problems with healthcare cover
  • what happens if you move to France
  • claggy clay soil
  • buying a house
  • the water supply
  • neighbours coveting your land
  • IMU
  • expensive car insurance
  • political uncertainty
  • etc etc

Despite all this I'm very clear as to why I love living in Italy.  Are you too? Question
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Why do we do it? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why do we do it?

Post by ghiro Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Just to change the direction of this thread (albeit very slightly!).

After a prolonged period in Italy, on our return to Blighty, OH & I find we're hankering after traditional 'English' food.  Our first stop after the tunnel is usually Reading Services where we buy curry from M&S to eat when we get home. 

This is usually followed over the next few days by roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with roast potatoes and at least 2 greens, pork pie with coleslaw, bangers with mash and baked beans, beer-battered fried fish with chips and mushy peas and finally roast pork with apple sauce and crackling with all the trimmings.

Then, and only then, will we even consider pasta.

So what do you hanker after?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Marmite, proper teabags and fish and chips!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 pm

I must confess that whenever I go to London Ihave cravings for fish and chips and pies...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Yes, it's strange. Whenever we've been on holiday abroad we immediately want Fish + chips or steak and ale pie or some other "English" meal. The funny thing is we dont actually eat them very often when at home so I dont know why we suddenly get a craving.

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 pm

When we were living in Australia, whenever we were coming back from an overseas trip we will go straight to the bar at the airport to have a steak pie and a beer!!! Now, I hardly ever drink beer and wedid not eat pies frequently... It must be psychological...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:25 pm

We eat almost exactly the same "Italian" style food when we go back, even put in the Sainsburys home delivery before we leave and have it there on the day we arrive... Of course the ingredients are naff, hence we will be taking a lot of dry herbs and wine back...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:03 am

I think the only thing that we miss and we always have back in the UK is fish & chips, we always have hundreds of Tetley teabags in stock, these are the only things we ask people to bring over.

Re the fish & chips, we have now taken a liking (only a liking!) to the fried fish (calamari etc) that we get at the pescheria in Piane di Falerone on Saturday lunchtime. ( I was going to say 'yum yum', but it only deserves a single 'yum' !) Wink 

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 am

Fish and chips as well for me, with a good splash of malt vinegar and eaten out of the paper. Also a good steak suet pudding, or a nice pie and mash with the green liquor, that I used to get in the East End of London. Jellied eels another favourite, as well as a good pork pie with mustard. Another is the cockles and mussels, that you used to get from a van outside the local pub, which were great with a good pint of bitter.
Those are some of my favourite UK dishes, but have many others from my travels that I love as well.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Just going back a little on Italian food and nothing detrimental!! There are obviously a number of Italian restaurants around the world.
Wifes son lives in Thailand and has a hydroponic vegetable growing business. He has a lot of contracts with Italian restaurants for the Italian Basil, as the Thai version is too strong for the food, which I can understand, as a completely different strength.
Presumably, peppers and other ingredients are very similar there.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Why do we do it? - Page 3 Empty Ah now I see why....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Geotherm wrote:Fish and chips as well for me, with a good splash of malt vinegar and eaten out of the paper. Also a good steak suet pudding, or a nice pie and mash with the green liquor, that I used to get in the East End of London. Jellied eels another favourite, as well as a good pork pie with mustard. Another is the cockles and mussels, that you used to get from a van outside the local pub, which were great with a good pint of bitter.Those are some of my favourite UK dishes, but have many others from my travels that I love as well.
Ah now I see why you are not keen on Italian food...  Laughing Laughing Laughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:29 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:
Geotherm wrote:Fish and chips as well for me, with a good splash of malt vinegar and eaten out of the paper. Also a good steak suet pudding, or a nice pie and mash with the green liquor, that I used to get in the East End of London. Jellied eels another favourite, as well as a good pork pie with mustard. Another is the cockles and mussels, that you used to get from a van outside the local pub, which were great with a good pint of bitter.Those are some of my favourite UK dishes, but have many others from my travels that I love as well.
Ah now I see why you are not keen on Italian food...  Laughing Laughing Laughing
Have not been back to UK for about 7 years, but do miss some of those things. Missed off Kippers for breakfast!!!Sad Sad Sad
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Well, well, well!  This is now the 2nd most popular thread on this forum with 61 replies (Boosting membership has 143). bounce bounce 

But what a journey (among others):
Why do we do it? -> snakes -> libraries in Liverpool -> USA & Syria -> the UN -> the arms trade -> food, food and yet more food! Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 am

You only have to look at the list in the OP, it opens up an invite to have the one big post... I could post more, but will break one bit off with a little link.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 pm

I had to laugh when I read some of your cravings! yes we do have fish and chips when we go home and after a long stint in Italy they do taste so good, but basically we eat the same food in blighty as we do in Italy but since I married my Italian husband at 19 and it was my mother in law that taught me how to cook we have eaten Italian food all our married life so to me it is the "norm" when we are in England though I love going to the pub on a Sunday for a Roast dinner, strangely though it’s my husband that has cravings for steak pie and mash!

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum