The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Views on Pizza Bases

+8
La Dolcevita
modicasa
Flip
Chillout
Gala Placidia
DarcyDog
stevegwmonkseaton
Geotherm
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Views on Pizza Bases - Page 2 Empty Views on Pizza Bases

Post by Geotherm Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Having had quite a few pizzas over many years, I wondered if people prefer the thin base or the thicker foccacia type. It is probably a delicate subject here, but i must say I would rather have the thicker base. Any other views???
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Views on Pizza Bases - Page 2 Empty Re: Views on Pizza Bases

Post by Flip Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Now there's an idea for a Restaurant Chain ....... Pud Hut; serving Yorkshire Puds filled with Beef, Mushy Peas, Sausages and mash the list goes on...or even my old Nans favourite Strawberry Jam and custard (an acquired taste I can assure you)
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Perhaps, you have an idea there, Flip. I would prefer the classic roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and all the usual "garnitures", but then... I'm sure there would be a section of the general public that woud love it!
As for Pizza or Foccacia bases, I still think that it is a matter of personal taste and it is a very ancient dish, not invented by the Romans, it was in existence long before. Etruscans, Greeks, Middle East...? Who cares? Of course, there was no tomato sauce at the time, so you could not have a Pizza Margherita. In any case, this summary is interesting Pizza and Foccacia History
As for Chablis, it is a DOC, although basically, it is a Chardonnay, because this is the type of grapes used; however, real Chablis does not taste like your average Chardonnay, because the particular climate of the Chablis region gives the wine a distinctive flavour.

And perhaps we are all becoming a bit pedantic... Eat or drink whatever you want! Life is short:twisted:
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:... Eat or drink whatever you want! Life is short.
GP.  You're showing your softer side!  Agreed. Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Demeanor Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:34 am

Vedi Napoli mange Pizza e poi muori Gala!  alien
Miss Demeanor
Miss Demeanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:50 am

I've done it, MD! Except for the last bit... Perhaps I'm immortal Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Views on Pizza Bases - Page 2 Empty Wildly off topic I know

Post by serendipity Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:54 am

Okay, now it's my turn to be a little bit pedantic... and go wildly off topic in the process but if I may, Gala, possibly correct you just a little on a couple of sentences in your posts....

- Chablis is an AOC not a DOC (Appellation d'origine controlee) DOC is for Italian food and drink products.

- Dom Perignon did not discover/invent methode champenoise!!! In fact, he didn't even come close. It's an absolute myth! Secondary fermentation in the bottle was known as happening way back into antiquity. It is now widely accepted that it was actually us English, who first began purposely adding sugar/molasses to wine, (perhaps first through cider production) to stimulate secondary fermentation which then produces the bubbles making the wine fizzy. Sir Robert Mansell's glass production monopoly in the early 1600s meant England had much stronger bottles than France did at that time. We could (and did) therefore, deliberately induce secondary fermentation in wine with no risk of it all blowing up in our faces. This fact is documented in a presentation in 1662... at least 6 years before Perignon got his grubby little mits anywhere near the grapey stuff! 

Anyway, I have digressed too much..

serendipity
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Serendipity, I personally think that you are taking what Gala said too literally as Dom Perignon did 'Pioneer' many wine making techniques and he is attributed with making 'Champagne' wines achieve the secondary fermentation although this was actually invented , yes by an English man, Christopher Merret.
Them damn Frenchies will steal anything.

Last edited by Flip on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Miss Demeanor wrote:Vedi Napoli mange Pizza e poi muori!
I had quite the best pizza ever at 'Fresco' on the Via Partenope when in Naples recently - and I'm still here! Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by serendipity Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Flip wrote:Serendipity, I personally think that you are taking what Gala said too literally as Dom Perignon did 'Pioneer' many wine making techniques and he is attributed with making 'Champagne' wines achieve the secondary fermentation although this was actually invented , yes by an English man, Christopher Merret.Them damn Frenchies will steal anything.

Hi Flip, 

but Dom Perignon isn't actually attributed to making champagne wines achieve secondary fermentation. In fact, refermentation was already happening sporadically at the Abbey. This was seen only as a fault in the, then, still wines being made. So Perignon was actually actively trying to avoid it and stop it. Yes, Perignon was an innovator and yes, he made many improvements in wine production but (latest I 'checked') it remains entirely unclear if he ever even made sparkling wine! (except invariably by adventitious fermentation - creating bubbles that he tried to eliminate).

All the embellishments of the truth surrounding Dom Perignon come from the Abbey itself as a way to stake a claim, importance and prestige in history for the Church (surprise, surprise!)

What Dom Perignon is credited with is:
- developing techniques for production of white wine from red grapes
- harvesting under cool conditions to preserve freshness
- introducing the idea of blending wines from different vineyards before pressing to make more complex wines.

But then, Christopher Merret didn't invent sparkling wine either which is why I was very careful to leave the word invent out of my post. He documented purposely secondary fermentation in England -although I will admit I have no idea if he was involved or merely documenting his observations.

I acknowledge this post will push me from being pedantic to just down right anal!! Please don't misunderstand, I'm not on any form of attack here just unable to reign in my bookishness Smile

Last edited by serendipity on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

serendipity
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Mon Dieu de la France éternelle! Am I in the Italy Forum? And yes, I made a typo, as I know very well what is an "Appellation d'origine controlée". As for Dom Pérignon... it all depends on which Wikipedia version you are reading. Here is the French version and certainly, it changes according to the nationality of the writer (s). In any case, champagne is champagne, AOC, all the rest have to carry different names, although I reckon that a good "prosecco" is not bad at all...
Something else about pizza bases? I believe that this was the topic ...Rolling Eyes
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Do pizza bases improve with Dom Perignon ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Most definitely Steve especially in our house, well if we could afford it, but we make do with a nice Prosecco from Eurospin and make do ......
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Steve, I would not eat pizza and drink champagne... or prosecco...My choice will depend on the toppings. A light red will go with practically all of them, or if you generally prefer red wine, but I would opt for a white if I am having seafood or even anchovies, or vegetables. Or whatever I feel like drinking at that particular time...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Was told you should only eat pizza with a beer to drink!!!
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:27 pm

I don't like beer, sorry. In any case, Coke and pizza is, for many, a great combination... I would rather drink plain water..
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:In any case, Coke and pizza is, for many, a great combination...
On the face of it, as ever, sound advice from the knowledgeable GP.  But, in the past, I've cut a few lines and it didn't do anything for me. Sad
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Don't be a wine snob Gala, Prosecco can be drunk with anything, my personal favourite is with Haribos.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Flip, if you enjoy that combination... just have it. Life is short! My favourite is Prosecco, strawberries and chocolate truffles. And a Bellini...of course! Very Happy
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by FBower Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 pm

anch' io 
pizzeria near the castle - probably a bit touristy but was opposite the hotel we were put in when the flights were cancelled due to the terrorist threat with liquids. Forgotten the name but not the experience and I have to say the pizza was to die for..thin base every time for me with the freshest of tomato and mozzarella. They don't do a bad one in the Colli Albani either.

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by FBower Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:52 pm

FBower wrote:anch' io pizzeria near the castle - probably a bit touristy but was opposite the hotel we were put in when the flights were cancelled due to the terrorist threat with liquids. Forgotten the name but not the experience and I have to say the pizza was to die for..thin base every time for me with the freshest of tomato and mozzarella. They don't do a bad one in the Colli Albani either.
Oh dear - so many posts since and I didn't keep up. It's like the old game of consequences when you fold the paper over and write something without knowing the lines before...I think I have just agreed that I like prosecco with strawberries when I thought I was talking about pizza

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Your post gave me an idea and I did a search for sweet strawberry pizza to serve with prosecco and I found quite a few recipes
Sweet Strawberry Pizzas
I guess that Flip could add a sprinkle of Haribos...
I will stick to the Prosecco
Razz
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:44 pm

I seem to remember a topic on the vagaries of Nutella Pizza.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:57 pm

I saw amongst the recipes one for a Strawberry and Nutella Pizza... Crying or Very sad
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum