The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wonderful Weather...NOT !

+4
Gala Placidia
stevegwmonkseaton
Geotherm
Flip
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wonderful Weather...NOT ! Empty Wonderful Weather...NOT !

Post by Flip Sat May 25, 2013 11:38 am

Not sure what other regions weather is doing but here in Tuscany the Rain/Hail is ruining our Orto. New plants are not getting enough Sun to start them off and the Hail is decimating the new shoots and leaves. Just hope that June is a much better month as we need some good weather to dry things out.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Wonderful Weather...NOT ! Empty Re: Wonderful Weather...NOT !

Post by Geotherm Sat May 25, 2013 11:45 am

Given up with the Orto this year. Too dry last year with most things dying and this May has been too wet to plant anything!!!
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Wonderful Weather...NOT ! Empty Our orto goes on all year

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat May 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Our orto goes on all year and we couldn't afford not to have it! Certainly this May has been more than a little different from last, but the orto (and weeds) seem to be loving it. Not had the hail, so that might be the difference, but some very heavy rain did do a little damage. I could not believe the locals telling me to dig massive holes to plant my veg in (including zucchini, which I've always planted on a mound). I eventually learnt why. They dig a hole or trench about 10" deep, some put in compost and mix it with the soil still in there, then they plant deeply, water in and almost trample the plants in the soil/compost. The soil from the digging is then put back in a little at a time as they water (one guy waters well first time, then not for a week, no matter how hot). What this seems to do (and it might be because we are so exposed on a ridge) is protect the plants from wind whilst growing and covering a little at a time conserves water and further protects the plants by putting more soil around. Additionally, with a number of plants, e.g. toms this encourages them to produce more roots giving them even more strength. Have seen lots here also cover their plants early on in the year with white fleece...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun May 26, 2013 12:38 pm

This year I had some casualties amongst ornamental plants which had survived for the past 5 years. I have to replace those, but I will wait until the weather settles. In any case, everyone is having the same problem throughout Italy. Currently, I am in Le Marche, and it has been cold, rainy and miserable...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Mon May 27, 2013 11:01 am

Oh dear, too much rain, and I am coming on holiday to our place in N Tuscany on Wednesday. I'm bringing some packets of weed and feed for the "lawn", and expect to find it knee high. I was last out 6 weeks ago and I did not bother to get the garden furniture out at that time due to wet weather. I am hoping this time to get a few hours each day on the garden chair in the sun reading my book. I've got new sun tops and I'm having my toe nails painted to show off with my new sandals. I hope that I am not too disappointed! It was fine weather this time last year.

Today in my Buckinghamshire garden it is quite sunny and I am about to paint the fence.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

http://www.familychest.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Centauro Mon May 27, 2013 11:22 am

Just had the latest weather report form the oldies in ER. Varying from wet & wild to roasting this past week, oh, and three days ago five Km up the road in Morfasso, SNOW!!! FGS.
Centauro
Centauro

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon May 27, 2013 7:37 pm

JulianaAlice wrote:Oh dear, too much rain, and I am coming on holiday to our place in N Tuscany on Wednesday. I'm bringing some packets of weed and feed for the "lawn", and expect to find it knee high. I was last out 6 weeks ago and I did not bother to get the garden furniture out at that time due to wet weather. I am hoping this time to get a few hours each day on the garden chair in the sun reading my book. I've got new sun tops and I'm having my toe nails painted to show off with my new sandals. I hope that I am not too disappointed! It was fine weather this time last year.

Today in my Buckinghamshire garden it is quite sunny and I am about to paint the fence.

Strangely enough, like JulianaAlice, I too am going to our house in N Tuscany on Wednesday. And also like her, before the others arrive on Sunday, I had set aside 4 days to get the garden sorted (mowing etc) in preparation for the upcoming summer season. But it seems we're both going to be frustrated by the rain.

So, if I can't garden, what do the more experienced members of this embryonic forum suggest I do to while away the time?

(PS I've already read all the books by Eric Newby and E L James!)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Mon May 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Well, ghiro, if the sun is not shining then you feel very hard done by don't you? I have got my Kindle of course, and there is not shortage of stuff to read, but I can do that at home. I have explored most towns and villages everywhere around about in a 50 miles radius, by car and by train, and I don't want to go shopping as I only like buying food and furniture, and I am on a budget. Recently I joined an art appreciation group here at home and I intend to revisit some of the local Italian towns to seek out their hidden gems that I missed first time around.

Not too far from your holiday home and mine is the town of Sarzana. and in Sarzana Cathedral is the oldest known painted Italian crucifix, the Cross of Maestro Guglielmo, dated 1138, a central work of Romanesque painting.

Now, until recently, my interest in art generally focused on paintings, but in order to hold up at the art group meetings, I have been reading my free Kindle download on Georgio Vasari's 'Lives' of the Renaissance painters, and one thing has lead to another and I have developed an interest in early painted crosses. (There is a great collection in a museum in Pisa I visited earlier this year).

What I am trying to say is, if it is raining and I can't cut the grass, (or get Allan to do it), then I am going on an off the beat culture trail.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon May 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Not too sure about Tuscany, but here in Abbruzzo, sure the weather is different this year (even more snow in the last few days on the mountains), but not being so hot we've been able to sit in the sun (still lots of it) more and it is superb... Mind you, we do live here, so if you are coming over for a short visit I can understand your concern and only hope it's nice whenever you get here....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon May 27, 2013 9:48 pm

JulianaAlice wrote:Not too far from your holiday home and mine is the town of Sarzana. and in Sarzana Cathedral is the oldest known painted Italian crucifix, the Cross of Maestro Guglielmo, dated 1138, a central work of Romanesque painting

I really like Sarzana JulianaAlice and often go there, particularly for the market on Thursdays. But I confess that antique Italian crucifixes have not, as yet, featured high in my list of artistic appreciation. However next time I'm there, come rain or shine, I'll make a special trip to the Cathedral and seek out the Cross of Maestro Guglielmo on your recommendation.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon May 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Not too sure about Tuscany, but here in Abbruzzo, sure the weather is different this year (even more snow in the last few days on the mountains), but not being so hot we've been able to sit in the sun (still lots of it) more and it is superb... Mind you, we do live here, so if you are coming over for a short visit I can understand your concern and only hope it's nice whenever you get here....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue May 28, 2013 5:35 am

JuliannaAlice, if you like Italian crucifixes, go and have a look at the ones in the Oratory of the Assunta, on the main street at Portofino. They are a work of art and are carried in procession on St George's Day because of an old promise. I always go there on my way to Bagni di Lucca as there is a Mass at 11:15 on Sundays that is perfect for us and then we stay for lunch, praying that there will be not too many tourists...The crucifixes are very heavily decorated and magnificent. Worth a visit.
The weather has changed again in Le Mar he!!! Today, we had planned a visit to the Castello de la Rancia, but it is in doubt now.... Rolling Eyes
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Ha ha! Sunny sunny Lunigiana! I am sitting in the garden toasting in the afternoon sun! This is what I dreamed about last week in Buckinghamshire. This morning we went to the market and had a cappuccino at a sunny table and watched the world go by. And this is only day 3 of the hols! Thanks Gala for the suggestion, if we get a rainy day (surely not) it could be a good idea. Ciao tutti.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Echo the above. A wonderful sunny sunny day in Massa-Carrara also.

However my white bits have now gone red Shocked
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:46 pm

It was sunny today in Bagni di Lucca and temperatures seem to be warming up. Rain had been predicted, although it did not eventuate. Let's hope that it continues this way tomorrow. A few local children are having their First Comunion at San Pietro in Corsena (the main parish church) and it is also the festivity of Corpus Domine or Corpus Christi and there is a big procession in the evening, so let's hope that it does not rain...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Yes such lovely weather we went out for a picnic. On a bend in the road half way down a mountain a tree fell on the front of our car. A near miss for us! Called polizia municipale who made a report we have to battle it out with the insurance company. The fault lies with Enel tree cutters who failed to put a warning on our side of the road. Traffic was held up on the other side for the tree felling, but nobody expected anyone to be coming down the mountain from our direction. Car towed away and I have still got the colly-wobbles for what might gave been.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:23 pm

JulianaAlice wrote:Yes such lovely weather we went out for a picnic. On a bend in the road half way down a mountain a tree fell on the front of our car. A near miss for us! Called polizia municipale who made a report we have to battle it out with the insurance company. The fault lies with Enel tree cutters who failed to put a warning on our side of the road. Traffic was held up on the other side for the tree felling, but nobody expected anyone to be coming down the mountain from our direction. Car towed away and I have still got the colly-wobbles for what might gave been.

Glad you are okay and hope it does not ruin the holiday too much. Was it a hire car or your own??
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:43 pm

What a frightening experience! Glad to hear that you are OK. All the rest can be sorted out.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:24 pm

It is okay, I am having a great time explaining to the neighbours what happened. Allan says it was all right for me, he was the one trying to communicate with police, Enel, tree cutters, bystanders, an irate bus driver - while I swanned around taking photos and worrying about my phone connection! I have tried to upload a few pics of the incident here on the forum, but doing it on my phone where the connection keeps konking out, makes it very difficult. It was a hire car and we have excess insurance, so I hope it won"t cost us too much. If the excess insurance works out, I will let you all know the name if the insurance company. Meanwhile we have to pick up a new hire car from La Spezia tomorrow.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Wall to wall sunshine and 27C in my neck of the Italian woods today.

So what possessed me to fly back to Bristol where it is cold, wet and miserable?  Exceedingly bad judgement!SadSad
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:52 pm

It has been nice and warm today. No rain! And it looks as if it is going to last a few days. Fingers crossed!sunny
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Stay there Gala!  Don't move an inch!!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 pm

I am back home in Buckinghamshire after my 2 weeks holiday. I am c o l d. Had to put the central heating on for a bit and I am really fed up to see that now I have left Italy temperatures are due to rise. Oh well, back again in 6 weeks for a month.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:46 pm

JulianaAlice wrote:Yes such lovely weather we went out for a picnic. On a bend in the road half way down a mountain a tree fell on the front of our car. A near miss for us!  Called polizia municipale who made a report we have to battle it out with the insurance company.  The fault lies with Enel tree cutters who failed to put a warning on our side of the road.  Traffic was held up on the other side for the tree felling, but nobody expected anyone to be coming down the mountain from our direction. Car towed away and I have still got the colly-wobbles for what might gave been.

The police officer from Pontremoli who attended the aftermath of our accident gave us a wonderful report for the car hire company on the Enel tree cutters' attempt to end our lives under their felled tree. The report said the company used by Enel accepted complete responsibility and would submit their insurance details to Europcar. Hopefully we won't hear any more about it and will not need to use our UK accident excess policy Question
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:04 am

Good to hear. It was not your fault. You should not have to pay for any damages. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum