The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick...

+5
ghiro
Lisa C.
FBower
Geotherm
Flip
9 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick... - Page 5 Empty Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Spotted (and heard the compressor) our first olive nets yesterday. Another of the yearly events, festa gone, grapes picked and now the olives to harvest. Yes there are the sounds of guns also, but not heard so many (yet) this year. But it's so enjoyable to pick up the sounds of frogs migrating back for winter, blue tits, finches and redstart returned and cicada gone for another year.... Trees turning yellow with even a touch of red... Would be nice for people to add their own as and when "spotted" events that often go without comment....  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick... - Page 5 Empty Re: Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick...

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Agree with Steve, maybe re-post your original posting in the property / building topic I am sure you will get some replies from that rather than gardening and nature.  Good luck.
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick... - Page 5 Empty Re: Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Around about 10 goldfinches just outside our window. Now I've seen many of these in my life time, but normally only one or two together and never so close. Many of them were flitting about in the short grass obviously eating seeds, it was the opening of the wings and close proximity that had me amazed at just how much bright yellow they have with their wings open. Always been one of my favourite colourful little birds, but even more so now!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12 am

Another rainy day here following 3 days of lovely sunshine. So this morning we sat looking out of the window near a roaring wood burner and our finches (green and chaff) had returned, this along with a blackcap or two, willow warbler and a song thrush (a very rare visitor here for us). A real delight to watch on a grey dull rainy morning...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick... - Page 5 Empty Shrike spotted

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:50 am

Shrikes! Well this LINK I guess is not the type I spotted today (there are loads of different types apparently), but it's certainly the nearest that I can find. Suspect the real type was more like a " Lesser Gray Lanius minor", but the pictures vary so much. Anyway I've never seen one before and would not have found it as easy had it not been for my tits...! Two great tits visit the plum tree just below our balcony often and did so this morning. All of a sudden this other bird turns up in the Acacia next to it, looked like a sparrow coming in, but it's flight and lack of noise indicated not. I was just getting a good look at the colours when the tits spotted this bird and went ballistic, then the local house sparrow jumped in along with one of the starlings... One of the tits got within about a foot of this lovely looking little bird then launched itself at it chasing it off.... Also known as the "Butcher bird" and Acacia being one of its favourite larders...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:15 am

One of the reasons it is called the 'Butcher Bird' I was told, is that it does impale its bigger prey ie mice and other birds on not only thorns but also on the barbs of barbed wire...!
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:49 am

100's of swifts whizzing about this morning....now none, I wonder where they go to roost ?  Better than watching the Red Arrows !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:14 am

Swifts don't roost Angela, well they sleep on the wing at around 1500M up!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:44 am

Oh gosh Steve, I did know they could not land on the ground and then doa 'take off' easily as their wings are so long they would have trouble 'launching'.  But sleeping on the wing sounds worse than being on a Ryanair flight, a place I often had a nap in !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:12 pm

I have to say your post amused me, simply because when we came out here 5 years ago my OH could not tell a swift from a house martin or swallow, now I'm told "no, that's a house martin" !

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:03 pm

We seem to have a LOT more Golden Orioles this year, what with them, the Nightingales, Hoopoes, Blackbirds et al, there is a veritable cacophony particularly in the morning.

Luvverly !
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:14 pm

Yes, I do agree Vicino, the bird song is deafening and starts at 4.30AM....wakes up the cats and then they wake us up....so an early start to the day but maybe the best time to go for a nice walk with all the  furries.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5