Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick...

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Spotted (and heard the compressor) our first olive nets yesterday. Another of the yearly events, festa gone, grapes picked and now the olives to harvest. Yes there are the sounds of guns also, but not heard so many (yet) this year. But it's so enjoyable to pick up the sounds of frogs migrating back for winter, blue tits, finches and redstart returned and cicada gone for another year.... Trees turning yellow with even a touch of red... Would be nice for people to add their own as and when "spotted" events that often go without comment....  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Re: Season events, grapes done, now olives to pick...

Post by Angela Fuller on Tue May 20, 2014 8:26 am

Good idea, the wine bag....will pass that on to recycling group if ok with you.......UMMMM magpies, jays etc.....can be so destructive....I am having a problem with porcupines here....thank goodness they cant fly or climb trees....they have just destroyed  100 - 200 iris's planted last autumn and another 100 plus all in 2 nights !
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Tue May 20, 2014 10:09 am

Angela Fuller wrote:Good idea, the wine bag....will pass that on to recycling group if ok with you.......UMMMM magpies, jays etc.....can be so destructive....I am having a problem with porcupines here....thank goodness they cant fly or climb trees....they have just destroyed  100 - 200 iris's planted last autumn and another 100 plus all in 2 nights !

Ah yes porcupines! Forgot about those, seen lots of evidence of them in Tuscany, but never seen any quills here in Abruzzo, mind you we don't do much walking in the woods here. Also never had (or seen) a problem with the Jays, resident magpies we have take care of any that turn up!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Tue May 20, 2014 11:16 am

Our neighbour's huge cherry tree seems to be doing very well this year. The roses had problems with fungus. I was pruning and spraying yesterday in an attempt to save them.
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Tue May 20, 2014 12:40 pm

No problems with my roses here Gala.  Infact apart from the established ones I have nearly 200 rose cuttings doing really well....infact I have to keep cutting off the flowers.... I did however have to buy an insecticide as some had green fly.....etc but normally would make my own ....The bought stuff seems to have done the trick thank goodness as hoping to make a few sales next year.....fingers x'd
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Tue May 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Glad to hear, Angela. I think that the roses were neglected during a long period, as my neighbour, who usually looks after them, has to take care of a very ill relative. Not enough hours in the day and plants thrive on attention.
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Cicadas returned here last night & fireflies (here now since April) were simply superb!!!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Fri May 23, 2014 11:14 am

We heard Cicadas on Wednesday evening, likewise the fireflies have been marvellous this year.
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Not a hint of a firefly here until tonight.  We had a brief rainstorm earlier which seems to have woken them up!  At present everywhere around Casa Ghiro is alight with flickering fireflies.  Quite spellbinding.   Smile  Smile
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:07 am

Spotted a big dragonfly today, we do see many this time of year flying back and forward as if hunting. We had never seen on actually catch anything, until today that is... This very big dark green thing chased down a medium sized yellow to brown butterfly. Back and forward holding it, then the butterflies wings had gone, next nothing. It continued to hunt, but caught no more in the time we watched. Other interesting thing was it seemed to prefer yellow coloured type butterflies. Found THIS LINK that describes exactly how it seemed to hunt by anticipation, I'm sure it was also accounting for the breeze factor when hunting...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Time to pick the almonds here.

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:56 am

Time to pick the almonds here. We are at 300m and picked the first few a week or so ago and the rest are definitely ready for picking here. Found that if storing any that we need to take off the outside green (now brown on some) husk as early as possible This is because the larvae that we get in a few of them (pink little blighter) seems to start growth  between the husk and the eventual hard brown shell (which is a little softer early on). They keep in the hard brown shell (or shelled) hung up in a cool dry place for over a year... We use old potato netting sacks to keep them stored. Our neighbour did tell us that just before they are ripe (2-3 weeks ago here), you can actually peel the thin brown layer around the nut quite easily and have milky white blanched type almonds - very sweet...  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:36 pm

... well I will drag this on... Swifts went about 2 weeks ago, although we do see an occasional 1 or 2 , but pretty sure now these are just passing... Swallows are definitely building up to leave, as are the house martins, although I do still have difficulty telling them apart... The former have taking to flying at the open window when I  open the window and shutters in the morning, think this is to defend the young ones sitting on the telephone wire outside the window... Sorry to see them go as they have really entertained us at breakfast time swooping down across the well cut grass (well cut weeds) in front of us... Ah well, there is hopefully always next year... rant over Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:58 am

Yesterday really, but it was very entertaining and we spent too much time watching it to report here…  Anyway, about 6 magpies verses 20 crows, common and hooded fighting over 2 large walnut trees, which the magpies believe are theirs and always will be! These 6 magpies harried these crows for at least half an hour or more that we were watching and I’ve no doubt for a lot longer. Every time a crow or two (or more) came in to one of the trees a magpie would hop up the tree to the same level or above and flap at them, once they were out the tree it would pursue them. The crows often went into the other tree about 10m away where another magpie would take up the chase… Today two of those magpies are hopping about our lawn (field of weeds) chasing grass hoppers and of course eating them….
The swallows and house martins by the way are still here and in more numbers than ever. Not seen as many here in Italy as this year or for so long. Swifts we have however not seen again since mid August.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:19 am

I was wondering why there were so many cars parked along the road driving to Sarnano....then it clicked....they were peeps chestnuting....it's that time of the year again........
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:20 pm

I've not seen any chestnut trees here in Abruzzo, but the local wine festa is this w/e and there are always loads of these being roasted in the streets. They taste delicious, but are quite expensive from these stalls.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Plenty of chestnuts everywhere in Northern Tuscany, Angie. A bit dangerous if you step on them... And there are "sagre" in every single town and village. I think there is a limit in the number of "necci" that can be eaten...Razz
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:22 am

Now it's the truffle season.  Apparently many to be had this year.  Has anyone on the site been out truffling this year and if so any tips would be welcome...
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:52 am

Get a fully trained dog (or pig) able to detect them.... Very Happy
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:03 am

Gala, I read pigs are no longer, legally, used in Italy any more, only dogs and you need to train them from a pup....I have a 2yr old hunting sort of a dog with a big nose....maybe if i buy and bury a truffle of two, maybe she could learn to snif them out.....Also, I read on another site of someone who has been truffling 3 times this autumn with paid guests and found some each time....no dog involved ! So there is hope......
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:18 am

Good luck, Angie!
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:25 am

I thought these were guarded like the gold they are and people had been shot for trying to poach them? So watch out where you go hunting Angela!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:19 am

Apparently very common in the UK, but not a bird we have seen there more than once or twice. Spotted two beautiful Greenfinch this morning feeding on the path outside our window. Likely I would normally take them for sparrows, but they were close enough to pick out their lovely markings and green hue.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Well I don't think I could ever top this one....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:13 am

Any of you gurus out there know what the RULES are regarding a 'certificate di agibilita'.

We had some works done on our property here some years ago and had a new, updated certificate provided (cost about €2k I think !!).

In the last few days, we have had a bit of electrical work done (not a lot!), do we now need a new certificate ?! What are the limits of works that requires you to update the certificate?

If we were to sell up, would the 5 yr old certificate do the job ?

Cheers,

V
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:54 am

Vicino wrote:Any of you gurus out there know what the RULES are regarding a 'certificate di agibilita'.We had some works done on our property here some years ago and had a new, updated certificate provided (cost about €2k I think !!).In the last few days, we have had a bit of electrical work done (not a lot!), do we now need a new certificate ?! What are the limits of works that requires you to update the certificate?

If we were to sell up, would the 5 yr old certificate do the job ?

Cheers,

V

2k paid for just the certificate crikey ! You might want to stick this on another board V as some might not read this one. If it is 2k to get one I would not bother until you sell....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks Steve, I'll have a think..............it was certainly well over €1k, and without digging it out I seem to remember that my gawd, the next one I might budget €2k !
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top