The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual pellet and wood burning stove

+2
Geotherm
La Dolcevita
6 posters

Go down

Dual pellet and wood burning stove Empty Dual pellet and wood burning stove

Post by La Dolcevita Mon May 27, 2013 3:31 am

Has anybody had any experience of a dual pellet and wood burning stove - we much prefer wood (have never used pellet) but like the thought of being able to set the timer for the pellet to come on whilst we're out. So thought maybe a combination stove might be better - any thoughts/advice welcome

La Dolcevita

http://www.italyinspired.com

Back to top Go down

Dual pellet and wood burning stove Empty Re: Dual pellet and wood burning stove

Post by Geotherm Mon May 27, 2013 7:00 am

Sorry, no experience of them, but hopefully someone on here has one.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassini Fri May 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Main thought is you'll need a lot of storage space for pellets and wood. Pellet stoves and boilers are noisy with fans and when they deliver pellets into the burner.
Cassini
Cassini
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by La Dolcevita Fri May 31, 2013 4:57 pm

I think we might stick with wood. Several people have mentioned the fan/whooshing noise of pellet stoves. I love the sound of wood burners. We have a large cantina so thankfully can store wood there. Our living area where the stove will be is on the top floor which when it's built will be the 3rd floor. Currently 2 floors. Several friends have commented re the hassle of carrying wood up and down the stairs. If it was me carrying it, it would be a problem. My husband is a cabinet maker and is used to hauling massive hunks of wood all day and has said the day he no longer can carry wood up the stairs will be the day he'll want to move!!

La Dolcevita

http://www.italyinspired.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassini Fri May 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Sounds the right decision to me. Think of all those 15kg bags of pellets he'd have to carry up. Lots of fab quality brand wood burners around. Some are very advanced and or beautiful. Lots of places to view them in Vallecrosia and Camporosso Mare.
Cassini
Cassini
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:10 pm

We have both, and find the Pellet stove very easy and clean, also gives a good amount of heat out. Not sure about a combination stove as the types of flue you need for a Pellet stove and a woodburner are different, actually have never come across them.
Pellet stoves are as good as the money you spend on them; so if you buy a cheapy from a Brico store, yes it will be noisy etc. We have a Pallazetti, which is excellent, quiet and efficient. Do get them serviced regularly and don't use cheap pellets as it's false ecomony.
The wood burner is good and heats well but messy; I would rather lug a bag of pellets round than go out to the wood shed when raining and fill up a bag of logs thank you.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by rachel68 Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:12 am

We have a Helios biotermocamino....ie burns pellets/wood/noccioline/maize. It isn't noisy and the pellet flame doesn't flicker manically as I've seen some do. You can set it to come on itself and it's not a major hassle to switch from wood to another type of fuel. HOWEVER I'm not a happy bunny at the moment that Helios say, despite being under warranty I have to pay one of their engineers to come back to adjust the flow as sometimes when I switch from pellets to noccioline the noccioline slip through too fast and sit on the floor of thr fire. I'll keep you posted but I feel Helios as a company are resisting being helpful! They only put in tiny small print for example thatnthe engineer can regulate two materials in a 100 euro call out when you first start up the machine but don't make this really obviousmto us or the plumber who fitted in their literature.

rachel68
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 pm

This may warrant it's own post, but I think it fits here. Spotted this post on the Abruzzolutely Forum and thought along with the other link (Country Kiln) there is an option for people. I know the guy in Abruzzo delivers all over Italy (as well as motorbikes to Spain). A stove for under £300 and delivery around a £100 sounds a good price...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down