The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WEATHER

+5
Geotherm
Admin
stevegwmonkseaton
ghiro
Vicino
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

WEATHER - Page 2 Empty WEATHER

Post by Vicino Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:55 am

First topic message reminder :

We now have just about a foot of snow around our casa here, and it's due to keep snowing for the next 36hrs !

rendeer 

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

WEATHER - Page 2 Empty Re: WEATHER

Post by Vicino Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 am

Admin.............

Jolly !!!??  I'll have to move up there with you !! It does sound super !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by logitech Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:38 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:Yes I totally agree with Admin, our problem is we had not lived in much of a rural setting in the UK. Although we were on the North East coast for some years and close enough for a lot more thunder storms than our family had just 5 miles inland, we were never cut off. Can't imagine being without electric for 5 days! The 48 hours for "V" was enough to make us again think of a generator. Anyone with one care to start a new thread on the "pros and cons" of them?
Our first Winter (3 months after moving in)here we had about4 days without electricity but we also had no kitchen or a working stufa!
it was horrible.
So we bought a 4Kw expensive generator and only had to use it once last year, 3 times for short periods this year.
Suggestions:-don't buy an economy one, keep a supply of petrol in, a torch nearby to read the instructions taped to it, outdoor electrical socket in easy reach, test run regularly during the year.Laughing

logitech
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks logitech, did you look at LPG generators? I note a few people have said don't get an economy machine, so guess you only get what you pay for with them? What about linking them in to the electrics, any tips?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by logitech Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:Thanks logitech, did you look at LPG generators? I note a few people have said don't get an economy machine, so guess you only get what you pay for with them? What about linking them in to the electrics, any tips?
We didn't even know that LPG generators existed at the time we bought one. When you consider the amount of time it's likely to be running (so far this year about 7 or 8 hours) it's probably not worth worrying about economy of fuel and it's easy enough to keep some petrol in for it. We've got a friend who was critical about how much our generator cost, they bought one from Lidl for about 200 euros, guess what? Yep it won't work. When you need one you need it to be absolutely reliable, you don't want to be faffing about with spark plugs etc. when it's pitch black and freezing cold. Ours is a Honda, cost about 1,000 euros. Would have been cheaper in the UK but then with transport costs who knows? As for hooking it up to the house our local electrician just put in an outside switchable socket thingy. When the power goes off we turn off Enel at the main switch, connect and crank up the generator to the outside socket and voila! I think he charged around 150 euros for the wiring in- which I reckoned was pretty good.

logitech
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Vicino wrote:Steve,As always a really useful interesting post ! We love the seasons but look before you leap !I STRONGLY urge people to rent first (we rented December to June), we saw the very heavy snows of 5/6 years ago, we still bought here, but since then,!!!!!!!Wow...........never will you hear truer statements than the following:When it rains............it RAINS !!When it snows..........it SNOWS !!When it is windy........it's WINDY !!When it is hot............it's HOT !!!
V

I am glad about your statement, Vicino. I have always written that it is most important to check and double-check the area before buying. Weather conditions, availability of transport and services... people just buy without checking all aspects that may affect their future life. Everything is nice and looks terrific while being on holidays and in fair weather. But it may not always be the same.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. It must have been quite upsetting.

Last edited by Gala Placidia on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Most we have gone here, is 5 days without electricity. Watched the power line across the valley creating a lovely firework display as it burnt out:affraid: . Unfortunately, the dairy farmer who has a property below had to move something in the region of 200 odd cows, as the complete roof of the milking shed and stalls collapsed under the weight of the snow. His vehicle, a dog and 3 cows were sadly crushed and killed. The remaining cattle were led down the road and loaded onto transporters, on the main road, to take them to another farm, in a very well organised operation, as the transporters could not get down the white road to the farm.
We were lucky, this last bad weather as we only lost power for about 8 hours.
On generators, it may well be worth looking at this site, as they seem to have a decent range:
  http://www.agrieuro.com/catalog/current-generators-c-46.html
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks Geo, lots of them and a big variation in price. Anyone know if a 4KW output means it will produce more than our ENEL 3KW supply?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:27 pm

An Italian neighbour of ours has a 2Kw petrol generator and it does him absolutely fine, he did pay only €400 for it and he said he has had problems (although it says 'German' on it, it is actually made in China !).

He has it DIRECTLY wired into the mains electricity box outside (illegal in the UK me thinks ?) and basically over-rides the main Enel source !

He has 2 TVs, 2 fridges and some lights utilising it.

I think I will need at least a 3Kw one.

ps: (it also says 'silent' on it, but it is not !!)

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Vincino. When we moved to Italy we bought a few things like strimmers etc and quickly learnt how to say "cinese". The first time we said "no!" to the ferramenta he laughed out loud and has never offered us anything made there since. In fact the very next time we were in for batteries, he said "Belgio ok" laughing... I had to laugh as well as daft me never thought Duracell would be made in Belgium...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:49 pm

I cannot believe the damage to the olive groves around this area !!  Shocked Shocked There are just LOADS of branches snapped off and it will need some seriously large bonfires just to burn all the wood. I recall a few years ago there was some heavy snow here in November and because the trees were still in leaf, many boughs and branches broke on oaks and all kinds.

The recent snows, with only a few leaves on the larger trees has hit the olive groves very badly. What with infestation and the recent weathers (never mind the earthquakes !) is growing olives becoming a bit of a challenge ?

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa C. Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:47 am

Vicino wrote:I cannot believe the damage to the olive groves around this area !!  Shocked Shocked There are just LOADS of branches snapped off and it will need some seriously large bonfires just to burn all the wood. I recall a few years ago there was some heavy snow here in November and because the trees were still in leaf, many boughs and branches broke on oaks and all kinds.The recent snows, with only a few leaves on the larger trees has hit the olive groves very badly. What with infestation and the recent weathers (never mind the earthquakes !) is growing olives becoming a bit of a challenge ?V

So sorry to hear that, Vicino.  Have you had any damage to your property?  I bet the price of olive oil will soar next year.
Lisa C.
Lisa C.
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum