Plugs & ENEL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Plugs & ENEL

Post by ghiro on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:31 pm

As some may remember from a previous post (can't find it!) our boiler only works if the plug is put in the 'correct' way up.  The plug is removed to prevent damage to the boiler by lightening strikes and the 'top' is marked by a piece of coloured tape.

On a recent visit I carefully put the plug in the 'correct' way up.  Would the boiler work?  No way!!  We spent a rather chilly and despondent night.  Sad 

The following day the engineer arrived and had the boiler going in a trice.  How?  'Ah ha' he said 'you had put the plug in the wrong way round'!!!  Shocked  Shocked 

So I pointed out the tape to show the 'correct' way round.  'Ah ha' he said again 'sometimes, after a big storm, ENEL changes the polarity of the mains supply and when they do you need to put the plug in the other way up'.

Did you know that?  Only in Italy!!!
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Re: Plugs & ENEL

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:06 pm

ghiro wrote:As some may remember from a previous post (can't find it!) our boiler only works if the plug is put in the 'correct' way up.  The plug is removed to prevent damage to the boiler by lightening strikes and the 'top' is marked by a piece of coloured tape.On a recent visit I carefully put the plug in the 'correct' way up.  Would the boiler work?  No way!!  We spent a rather chilly and despondent night.  Sad The following day the engineer arrived and had the boiler going in a trice.  How?  'Ah ha' he said 'you had put the plug in the wrong way round'!!!  Shocked  Shocked 

So I pointed out the tape to show the 'correct' way round.  'Ah ha' he said again 'sometimes, after a big storm, ENEL changes the polarity of the mains supply and when they do you need to put the plug in the other way up'.

Did you know that?  Only in Italy!!!
Worth a repeat... simply superb!   Smile  Smile  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:52 am

I am useless with electricity but this is just RIDICULOUS !!!!! If I change a light bulb, I switch off the electric lights via a fuse box near the door marked 'lights', it works but it also switches the telephone off !

April 1st is it ?

V
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:25 am

Italian wiring leaves a lot to be desired, well the old stuff does... But switching off at the fuse box to change a light bulb seems H&S going too far... It surprises me little that the phone electric socket is on the same circuit as the lights.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:45 am

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:Italian wiring leaves a lot to be desired, well the old stuff does... But switching off at the fuse box to change a light bulb seems H&S going too far... It surprises me little that the phone electric socket is on the same circuit as the lights.

Nothing surprises me with Italian Electrics..... I'm just grateful if it works. Rolling Eyes
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Vicino wrote:I am useless with electricity but this is just RIDICULOUS !!!!! If I change a light bulb, I switch off the electric lights via a fuse box near the door marked 'lights', it works but it also switches the telephone off !April 1st is it ?V

Is it not easier, just to turn the light off at the switch!!! Sounds like the phone has been wired into the lighting circuit, must have been a very competent electrician  affraid

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top