The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morbid post - dying

+2
Admin
stevegwmonkseaton
6 posters

Go down

Morbid post - dying Empty Morbid post - dying

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon May 12, 2014 9:25 am

I saw this BBC LINK   and it made me think of this post  on the abruzzo forum. Perhaps something all of us should have thought about before buying here, so good for new buyers to consider. I was going to put it in "Basket",  but know some may find it morbid and thought it perhaps a step too far for some. The post on the Abruzzo site echo's my regrets to any that this may bring bad memories.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Morbid post - dying Empty Re: Morbid post - dying

Post by Admin Mon May 12, 2014 9:59 am

I think it is a very interesting subject that we probably don't discuss as much as we should. With two poorly parents it's on my mind a lot at the moment and me and my husband have been talking about it for the first time ever. I had no idea about the problems with cremation though.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Mon May 12, 2014 9:28 pm

There are not insuperable problems with organising a cremation in Italy. 

It is not a mainstream choice, but many crematoria (I don't think there is anything 'national') compile an albo on which an individual can enrol very much ahead of the event. The cost is modest, and it streamlines the procedure greatly.

It is also an 'urban myth' (and very distressing, quite unnecessarily) that in Italy the burial must be completed within 48 hours. This misapprehension arises because in Italy the funeral director is not (by law) equipped with a (refrigerated) 'chapel of rest', and thus he cannot (by law) hold the body for more than 48 hours. 

However, transferring the body to a morgue (the law requires every comune to have access to a morgue, most often this facility will be provided by the local ASL) is a perfectly sound (and not excessively costly) option if, for whatever reason, the deceased's family wish to delay the internment.

If you want, I'll try and retrawl up the bits of (I think it is) the codice civile covering everything you never knew you wanted to know about funerals. 

For cremation details a google.it search on cremazione (if you like, add your provincia) should suffice. 

The important message here is to think about it well ahead of time, and discuss it with your funeral director and/or your crematorium. Not with your neighbours. Even the person to whom the ashes will be released (unless this person is the surviving spouse or first grade relative) has to be established.

It is complete rot IMO to suggest that unfounded myths could influence in any way the country in which you choose to live.
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Tue May 13, 2014 5:09 am

I am in Sicily, where there is just one crematorium - in Palermo 4 hours away.  Why you all ask, is it so difficult to be cremated in Italy?  Think about it I reply - there's alot of money to made in burying people, especially with teh extortionate cost of loculi and cemetery space.  Organised crime doesnt like burning people, it cuts off an income flow, and there are more mazzette passed in hospitals and funeral homes than in any other service industry.   Of course the Church doesnt like cremation because it is also an good little earner for it - so you have to be a pagan to make any headway, but if you perservere it's possible and slowly its becoming more mainstream.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Tue May 13, 2014 8:22 am

Superb posts !!
It is absolutely a topic that we should be discussing here. The very nature of retiring here suggests that a lot of retirees are 'mature', after 'mature' comes death.

It is very likely that (due to the fact that I am quite some years older) I will go first in our 2 person family. I suppose I will start looking into what happens to me and more importantly, my other half !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Tue May 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Well for me I think this is very pertinent...
''If I should die, think only this of me
That there is some corner of a foreign field
That is forever England.''
That'll be on my headstone !
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Tue May 13, 2014 2:43 pm

My favourite headstone is in San Miniato in Florence.  Its very simple - a closed book - and on it is written..... john Smith (cant remember his real name) and underneath, 
'an Englishman'.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue May 13, 2014 3:48 pm

modicasa wrote:My favourite headstone is in San Miniato in Florence.  Its very simple - a closed book - and on it is written..... john Smith (cant remember his real name) and underneath, 'an Englishman'.

I love the closed  book bit  Laughing  Laughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down