Hertz petrol tank - full to empty policy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hertz petrol tank - full to empty policy

Post by Perlasca on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:40 pm

I may be a bit behind the times here, but haven't come across this before. Ive just tried booking a car from Ancona airport with Hertz over the phone (always get the best deals that way, plus the website was saying they had nothing available for some unfathomable reason).

Applying the Ryanair discount it was £250 for 2 weeks. Pretty good, but then she said was I aware of the fuel policy with this deal? Namely that I had to return the tank empty. Ie, I pay for a full tank up front so if I fill it up before returning it (my usual practice), I'm losing out. In fact any petrol I leave in the car will be a gift to Hertz, and I'm hardly likely to risk driving the last few miles on the A14 running on empty!

She did say that I could argue it at the desk in Ancona - but that's not the best way to start a holiday......

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Re: Hertz petrol tank - full to empty policy

Post by Perlasca on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:57 pm

OK - more confused. Rang back and got a different operator who gave me a slightly lower price with the Ryanair discount, confirmed that the fuel policy was full to full and when I pressed her explained that there was nothing on the computer to say that it was full to empty whereas in Spain a note comes up warning of the full to empty policy.

She then helpfully said she would put a note on the booking that the fuel policy was full to full.

So 2 completely different answers within the space of half an hour. WTF! Mad

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Get the policy in writing on a email !!!!

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:57 pm

I totally agree with Geotherm's advice. Get everything in writing...
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:48 pm

My husband has just had this problem at Stansted with Hertz. The poor guys on the desk said they were getting a lot of stick over it and a lot of very unhappy customers. Apparently it only applies to rentals of more than four days. It is a new policy and another money maker. It only adds to the stress to try to get to the airport with an empty tank, especially in a strange car that you don't know how much you can rely on the gauge.
My husband has made an official complaint and won't use Hertz again because of it. I am arriving at Stansted tomorrow for two days and have booked a car through Hertz, but as it is less than four days I should be able to return it with a full tank. Let's see.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:09 pm

... we have used Hertz a lot and would stop if that was the deal... Last hire was in Feb and they offered this as an option, can't believe they would cut their throats by making it compulsory as no one in their right mind would accept such a rip off...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 pm

My current hire car is from Hertz at Pisa airport. No options or doubt. I'm expected to return it with a full tank (usually I fill up at Versilia services on the way back where the fuel is much cheaper than at the airport!).
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:... we have used Hertz a lot and would stop if that was the deal... Last hire was in Feb and they offered this as an option, can't believe they would cut their throats by making it compulsory as no one in their right mind would accept such a rip off...

Yeah but - I rather like the return empty option: it's been around a while (I always use Avis) and for me it's less hassle returning a car with a few litres in it than panicking about finding a petrol station in a hurry driving to Stansted.

The best fun was Easycar (before they got taken over) which was empty to empty, so you drove it out of Victoria station on fumes with no idea of when or whether you'd find a refuel. That's my ideal start to a spell in the UK Cool
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:52 am

We frequently do no use a whole tank of petrol, only using the car to get to and from home, regardless of how many days hire. At home in the UK we use our own car. This policy means we use the hire car instead of our own to use up the petrol and then pray that fumes are enough!

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top