The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fava beans

5 posters

Go down

Fava beans Empty Fava beans

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat May 24, 2014 7:07 pm

... had these a few different ways, including raw. Tonight we finished a bit late in the garden, then sat with a proseco and shelled  a large portion of fava the guy next door brought for us. Whilst cooking dinner we popped them in boiling water for 2 minutes max to soften the outer skin. Then removed the outer skin, added fresh black pepper olive oil, lemon and herbs and ate! Superb little starter...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Fava beans Empty Re: Fava beans

Post by Gala Placidia Sat May 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Fava beans are great. Next time try to microwave them, sprinkled with a bit of water. Depending on the power of the microwave, it can take 5-10 minutes at maximum strength. You can also make a delicious dip, humus style, using them in lieu of chick peas.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat May 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:Fava beans are great. Next time try to microwave them, sprinkled with a bit of water. Depending on the power of the microwave, it can take 5-10 minutes at maximum strength. You can also make a delicious dip, humus style, using them in lieu of chick peas.

Thanks Gala, but with less than 2 minutes to boil, think I would rather go with that. Yes, a humas type dip  is one of the ways we have ate them before. We did the same with garlic scapes, but that is an acquired taste for most  Razz  Razz  Razz

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat May 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Sorry Steve, but the main reason why I suggested microwaving is because, using this method of cooking, you loose less nutrients and antioxidants ( unless you decide to drink the water in which the fava beans have been cooked... and I do not think that you will enjoy that (the prosecco tastes much better).  Razz 
Here is an article on Best Cooking Methods
I must add that I either steam or microwave most veggies. The big exception is artichokes. I boil them with plenty of lemon juice.,. and I drik the boiling water after cooling it down. Delicious, refreshing and good for you.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 am

Steve, you should try them with Raw Liver and a nice Chianti....... ffffffff!!!
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun May 25, 2014 11:27 am

Shock horror!  What a Face  I mean, not the Chianti... but the RAW liver????
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun May 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Chianti wine I can only drink young and well chilled from the fridge!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sun May 25, 2014 8:17 pm

So you haven't read ''Cooking with Hannibal''
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun May 25, 2014 8:52 pm

Flip wrote:So you haven't read ''Cooking with Hannibal''

No, we don't all have time to read...  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Basile Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:12 am

Interesting. I fell in love with Fava beans when I was in Chinese. Now I even prefer them over the Kidney Beans. Delicious!

Walter Basile

http://www.aprestoroma.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:37 am

Porcupines like Fava beans, well the nice tender 6" tall growth....they ate all of mine last year and an entire bed of newly planted iris's (about 200) in just one night.....obviously very hungry porcupines !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:03 am

Angie, you can always adop them and feed them Feeding porcupines:D
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:29 am

Gala, seems the only way to get rid of the porkies is to run them over, not easy to do on a narrow, steep, winding white road....late one night I was out on the road with torch looking and calling for a cat of mine that had gone awal and I nearly fell over a couple of them...seemed in no hurry to scurry away, just mooching along.....I have heard a neighbour had made a trap to catch them but all he caught was a cat and a rat, (both not injured)....I wish there was a porcupine sanctuary.....well fenced of course somewhere close by...had no problem with them for 7 yrs but now........
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 am

They must be hungry. Not enough food around. I heard that they like cat food... Yours will not be happy and competing with them may not be a nice experience.... ouch!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:29 am

The devastation happened in the Spring Gala, since then little evidence of destruction in the garden or the field...hopefully they are too busy sharpening their fangs on trees....Oh for a small enclosed courtyard garden but then I would have one unhappy dog who has made a running track around the garden and a den / camp underneath a huge winter jasmine shrub....it even has a front and back door, 2 window entrances and 3 pits dug out inside to wallow in when she gets hot or needs a mud bath !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:40 am

We have a Restaurant near us which serves Porcupine and very tasty it is too. I've had it (they say revenge is sweet) and it is not dissimilar to Pork, but with a sweeter nutty edge. Try it if you get a chance, it also comes with it's own toothpicks.... Laughing
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Are you joking Flip, or are the owners of gypsy origin  ?  I know in the past people did catch and eat porcupine, like travelling folk would eat hedgehogs baked in mud.  I do suppose catching and eating is the solution to the problem but since it has become illegal to trap them I suppose their numbers have increased...hence the problem...Many a porcupine tooth pick to be had at my house !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:11 pm

No really Angela, the restaurant is famed for it's local caught Game, Wild Boar, Porcupine, Guinea Fowl and local mushrooms. It does not have a menu as such the waitress tells you what they have on the day and all the food is home made and really excellent. Buca di Baldabo give it a try if you're round this way.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum