Television

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Television

Post by chriscol on Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

We pay €50 per month, €600 per year for Sky TV at our house in Bagni Di Lucca.  We visit for approximately 12 weeks per year, so approximately 3 months. Does anyone know if Sky Italia are prepared to switch on/off a customers Sky subscription so that a customer only pays for a what they want to use?  Are there any other TV packages which would allow us to only pay for the time we are actually in Italy?  Seems mad to overpay.  If we could pay say €200 for our use that would free up €400 to enjoy eating out!  P.S. We don't take the sports package.

chriscol
Elder

Back to top Go down

Re: Television

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:05 pm

But you don't have a transmitter for satellite broadband. You are receiving the signal from a satellite in the sky not from a land-based transmitter so the terrain should be taken out of the equation.

Are you maybe talking about one of the radio WiFi companies that have a transmitter that you need to have line of sight to?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:05 pm

LL as Admin says there different types of 'Satellite' Broadband the type like Clouditalia which rely on repeater antenna, and this sort Satelite TV .
Mind the latter is an expensive option but worth a look. I would advise against a Telecom Italia landline as even though they advertise 7 meg speeds, if you are more than 200m from an exchange you will be lucky to get any where near that (we were about 2 Km from an exchange box and we only got between 0.5 & 1 meg not enough to stream successfully)
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:56 pm

We bought a Tooway system in the UK for DIY installation in Italy.  We bought all the hardware over in the car with us and my husband fitted it himself with no problem.  Excellent UK support and it works far better than we could have hoped for.  We have excellent Skype, although they say they don't recommend it for that as there can be a delay, although we haven't experienced it.  Only disadvantage is that it is limited in volume but anything else didn't seem to work very often so what good was 'unlimited' if one could never get it.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:18 pm

We have a Huawei MIFI and we purchase SIM cards as needed. Everything from the TIM dealer at Ghivizzano. Quite happy with that arrangement.
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:22 pm

That's what we originally had but found that at 'busy' times it was impossible to get any bandwidth.  At some times it would only work in the early hours of the morning and during the main tourist season it was so slow as to be useless.  Satellite doesn't use the local infrastructure apparently.  Probably need a combination of both, one for volume and one for quality.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 am

The BIG thing about the 'TOOWAYS' of the world is their data usage limitations. They maintain your connection but can ramp you down to a 2mb connection if I recall.

A one hour SD TV show will take some 650mb of your usage allowance, if you view in HD, it will be more like 1gb. As long as prospective purchasers are aware of this sort of thing then they should be fine ?

I would have thought paying guests would have no interest in the usage allowance and will watch what they want when they want it, thereby potentially eating up all of the data allowance very quickly?

Good luck with what y'all choose !

V
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:58 am

Ghiro
I am not a sky subscriber so know nothing about what's available, what channels do you get with sky uk free to air?There seems to be a lot of suppliers offering uk sky cards on the internet, if I bought a sky plus box and one of these cards and connected it all to the satellite dish would it work?? Please excuse my ignorance!!

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:59 am

I have had a look at "tooways" it is very expensive! so that may not be an option

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:16 pm

lancashire lass wrote:GhiroI am not a sky subscriber so know nothing about what's available, what channels do you get with sky uk free to air?There seems to be a lot of suppliers offering uk sky cards on the internet, if I bought a sky plus box and one of these cards and connected it all to the satellite dish would it work?? Please excuse my ignorance!!

Still 'work in progress' I'm afraid.  I 'activated' the Sky freeview card today on the phone in the UK but the people currently in Casa Ghiro tell me reception is rubbish!  Sad
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm

i contacted one of the companies selling uk sky cards and asked the question "If i bought one of your cards would I get BBC ITV etc" this was their reply

To subscribe to Sky UK in Italy you will need a satellite dish that has to be pointed to ASTRA 28.2° & 28.5° East and a original Sky UK box with an active Sky UK viewing card that can be ordered through us. 

Sky UK offers ±120 premium UK channels.

Sky UK premium channels have a good reception quality in Italy and are not affected from the recent satellite change.

Some free channels like BBC, Channel4, Channels5 or ITV are now ONLY available in the UK
so that's that as they say!!

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Have recently noticed that BBC iPlayer is unavailable through some VPNs looks like a tightening up at Beeb....
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Okay.  I'm now in a position to give lancashire lass (and anyone else who is interested) the definitive answer.  Smile 

To recap we have 2 TVs at Casa Ghiro.  One is connected to a Freesat box and the other to a Skybox with an activated Freeview card.  Our satellite dish is 1.2m and feeds both TVs.

Yesterday we could get nothing worthwhile on either TV (unless you happen to like shopping, religious, dating, obscure films, minor news (Sky, CNN etc), Welsh, music or children's channels).

This afternoon however we are getting the full range of channels on both TVs - BBC, ITV 1-4, Channels 4 & 5 etc etc.  Reception is rather better on Freesat than on the Skybox.

Of course by tonight all the major channels may (or may not) have disappeared again - I'll let you know.
So why do we sometimes get excellent reception and at other times niente?  Who knows!  Atmospheric conditions?  Better alignment to the satellite(s)?  Something else?

I think the bottom line is that if you want reliable reception of the major channels your only option is Filmon on the internet.
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Bang on there Ghiro, a friend of ours who has a freeview box has given up because of the dire reception, and like us, now uses Filmon for all his TV needs. Only draw back of late is that Filmon have not been transmitting the Footy, due to a FIFA ruling, but afater this weekend all good.
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:05 pm

We have a Humax free view box and we can't get any sort of signal, film on sounds good, if only we could get broadband!!

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:32 pm

ghiro wrote:Of course by tonight all the major channels may (or may not) have disappeared again - I'll let you know.

And they have.  Sad  Sad

And as Flip has so rightly pointed out FIFA has banned Filmon from showing World Cup football.  So come Sunday at 10:00pm, since we can't watch the final on Freesat Sky or Filmon, it's off to a local bar - such hardship!  Smile

Last edited by ghiro on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Quite posibly, you'll have more fun, ghiro  Razz
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisnotton on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:39 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:Quite posibly, you'll have more fun, ghiro  Razz

I recently stumbled upon this uk site which might be useful for acquiring info & hardware etc.
www.satcure.co.uk/index.html

I am watching this topic with interest as we plan to move permanently soon & it looks like it's the internet-only path for us!

In bocco al lupo
chrisnotton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Panner on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:34 am

With regard to Sky (UK) the signal is strong enough for some channels with a suitable sized dish. We are in Puglia (near Ostuni) and do not have a second box/sky card set up but do get all the Freesat channels apart from those that have transferred to the new satellite (BBC/ITV/Channel 4 and 5 and their related channels).

What we get does include some film channels (M>movies, True Movies and Movies 4 men). If you have a TV with built in Freesat (either one from the UK or one bought in Italy) then you would not need a Freesat or Sky box to watch those available (we have one bought in Italy and it can tune in to Freesat channels without a problem). You would need an appropriate box and, if Sky, a subscription if you wanted to record anything (or a TV /Freesat box with PVR). With a Sky Box and card that is registered/paired to that box (you cannot simply put a friends card in your box as it has to be paired by Sky) then you should get most of the subscription channels (excluding those on or migrating to the new narrow footprint satellite. Signal strength does vary a bit from channel to channel (it depends on which satellite and transponder it is on) as well as the size of and how well the dish is aligned.

Most of the time the signal is good on the channels we get but occasionally when the weather is bad we do lose some channels or they start to break up and are unwatchable.

For some UK TV it should be possible to watch something without a good internet connection. However for BBC1 etc it would only be in the north of Italy with a good sized dish and when the weather/atmospherics are good that you are likely to get them. The only way will be Filmon (or equivalent) or via catch up TV using a UK IP address (via an unblocked VPN provider or a satellite internet provider that gives you a UK IP address as part of its deal)

Panner
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:42 am

Sorry I should have said that we do not get any of the UK channels like BBC ITV using the humax satellite receiver but we do get pick TV, films for men, shopping channels horror channels etc. We have been watching some programs on Italian TV that are transmitted in English which is great but they are not consistent (I think they forget to switch something on sometimes) you can watch a series for three weeks running in English and then the fourth week it will be in Italian. We do watch some Italian programs as well, we are not quite complete philistines! I particularly like commisario Rex (the Italian version) but that may have something to do with the rather dishy actor that is in the lead role!!

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:58 am

Ghiro and others, for all your Football needs use this site WiziWig if you run it on Firefox with AdBlock plus plugin you wont get the annoying Ads. Just pick the sport and click on the links, it covers all UK premiership games as well.  bounce
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Further to my post of 11 days ago we are currently getting excellent reception of BBC (and all other 'major' channels) on both Freesat and Sky.  I even got to watch the 10 o'clock News on BBC!  Smile 

Inexplicable!
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:39 pm

I think
Panner wrote:For some UK TV it should be possible to watch something without a good internet connection. However for BBC1 etc it would only be in the north of Italy with a good sized dish and when the weather/atmospherics are good that you are likely to get them. The only way will be Filmon (or equivalent) or via catch up TV using a UK IP address (via an unblocked VPN provider or a satellite internet provider that gives you a UK IP address as part of its deal)
had a possible answer, but also read that the BBC are having awful technical problems at the moment with serious failures in several areas. Perhaps they re having to fall back on other means...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 pm

... or it may be your "wobbly sidelobes" LINK or correctly put "wobbly spotbeam" , but it also mentions the quality of your gear..

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:45 am

So BskyB has bought Sky Italia - apparently there will be big changes.  For better for worse who knows.....

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

I thought they were the same group

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:48 pm

modicasa wrote:So BskyB has bought Sky Italia - apparently there will be big changes.  For better for worse who knows.....

I thought they were the same group! Was very surprised that they are not, hopefully may be very good news for TV watchers here in Italy....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top