The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Television

+13
chrisnotton
Gala Placidia
Flying pigs
Admin
Carciofo
ghiro
lancashire lass
modicasa
Flip
Chillout
Vicino
stevegwmonkseaton
chriscol
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Television - Page 3 Empty Television

Post by chriscol Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

We pay €50 per month, €600 per year for Sky TV at our house in Bagni Di Lucca.  We visit for approximately 12 weeks per year, so approximately 3 months. Does anyone know if Sky Italia are prepared to switch on/off a customers Sky subscription so that a customer only pays for a what they want to use?  Are there any other TV packages which would allow us to only pay for the time we are actually in Italy?  Seems mad to overpay.  If we could pay say €200 for our use that would free up €400 to enjoy eating out!  P.S. We don't take the sports package.

chriscol
Elder

Back to top Go down

Television - Page 3 Empty Re: Television

Post by Flip Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:07 pm

The Murdock Empire strikes again.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:28 pm

.. yes thinking about it I can't see anyone being any better off if they want to see BBC, ITV etc as they will still not want BSkyB broadcasting their progs. Well unless Murdock buys those rights as well...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Well, we have finally admitted defeat, the dish is being removed next week it's a eyesore and doesn't provide any channels any longer. Tried to watch Dr Who on filmon but not enough bandwidth (it kept stopping), no chance of cloud italia so italian tv it is!!!

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:03 pm

One option for watching the BBC online in Italy, even if you have a slow or unreliable broadband connection, is to use the BBC iPlayer download option. 

You do need to use a vpn or similar (which hides from the BBC that you are connectingg from outside the UK). Some of these are free, though I pay €5 a month to www.iportal.me 

I don't know whether the other British channels offer a download option.

I download stuff in the mornings, when my adsl speed is decent, and it takes about half an hour to download an hour long programme. Sometimes I download at slower times, and it can take up to two hours to download an hour long programme, but it works!
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Television - Page 3 Empty FTA Reception via Satellite

Post by Janin Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Astra 1L at 19.2 E has a strong footprint for Italy and it seems I would get several free German channels: 
http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-1L.html

So far, I haven't found BBC channels for FTA reception, though..... Sad
Any leads?

Janin

Janin
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Janin what;s this FTA? Filmon.com also do German TV if you have good web access.

Lancashire Lass don't give up, Relaxed suggestion is good, you also could look at boosting your internet signal if you have not done so. Watching Italian TV seems a bit over the top!!!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Television - Page 3 Empty Free GB TV

Post by Janin Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:Janin what;s this FTA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air#Satellite

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html

Janin

Janin
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Television - Page 3 Embarrassed ha! That's how much tv we watch - none... Embarassed

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:18 am

The situation, after a summer of trial and error, at Casa Ghiro is as follows.

To recap we have a 1.2m dish and our coordinates are 44.23N, 9.95E.

Using UK Sky (with a Freeview card) conferred no advantage.  The reception disappeared at the same time as Freesat.  And since Freesat has a much better range of programmes (eg ITV4+1 etc) both our TVs are now on Freesat boxes.

For most of the summer we have had excellent receptiion of all the channels during the day but the 'main' channels usually become unwatchable from 6:00pm onwards.

Our broadband has a download speed of 2Mb/sec which is perfectly good enough to watch live TV on Filmon.  We can also watch Sky Go & BT Sport on the internet through a VPN.

I suppose the critical factors are:
1) The size of your dish
2) Your geographic location and
3) Your broadband speed.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Giro in answer to your questions

1.We have a 1.4 dish and a a freesat box and we can't get anything at all.
2. Reception for even Italian tv with an aerial is poor in Bagni di lucca where we are, too many hills!!
3. Broadband is supposed to be up to 43 mbps (I doubt it we get anything near that) using our mobile broadband. Limited to 7 gb a month

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:58 pm

lancashire lass wrote:Broadband is supposed to be up to 43 mbps (I doubt it we get anything near that) using our mobile broadband. Limited to 7 gb a month

You can find out your download speed here: http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

Also, as Steve so helpfully pointed out a while ago, you may be in the wrong place for a 'wobbly sidelobe' and therefore you'll never get anything on Freesat:  http://www.a516digital.com/2014/02/special-what-changed-in-european.html

Last edited by ghiro on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks for the link, I tried it and the download speed is 4.81mb/s.
Italian tv it is! (the only thing to look forward to is the Doctor who espisodes our son says he is going to send us)

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:52 pm

lancashire lass wrote:Thanks for the link, I tried it and the download speed is 4.81mb/s.Italian tv it is! (the only thing to look forward to is the Doctor who espisodes our son says he is going to send us)

... if I was getting 4.81 Mb/s I'd be over the moon, more than enough for Filmon, what device are you using and how is it connected?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:18 am

We are using an i pad conected to vodafone mobile wi fi

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:41 pm

lancashire lass wrote:We are using an i pad conected to vodafone mobile wi fi

Does the iPad hold the sim or is there another device involved e.g. router and how is the tv connected (or do you use the iPad to watch)? TV over wifi is always going to be a bit of a problem as it is so hit and miss. Tested our connection (have done so many times before) and could not believe it registered 2.4 mb/s download and 1.74 upload.... Normally 0.7 mb/s download! Tested again half an hour later and back down to 0.8 mb/s. I would have a look at the link Ghiro provided in particular this bit Broadband wifi improve , both the channel and the configuration are good points. I know your is not Windows, but the same applies to OS. Run another checker and see what you get, try in different rooms in the house. This Speedtest will give you a ping speed, which if over 100ms is not good...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:57 pm

No the sim card is in the mobile wfi chiavetta not the ipad. The TV is connected by a HDMI cable.
i just did another speed test and this time i got d.speed 0.248 Mb/s u/speed 0.421 Mb/s which is probably nearer the truth than the other day. I used your new link and got  ping test 64ms  d.speed 2.97 so not sure what it all means!?

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:23 pm

Sorry LL, just catching up after a thunderstorm outing... your wifi sounds like ours, up and down ... Anything Apple is not my favourite, but a quick look around and it would seem there are a number of issues with them using wifi. Bit like Windows stuff, one of the main problems seems to be they are not configured properly for TCP (internet main protocol) as is also the case for Windows. Unfortunately from what I can find the only way to configure this on an OS device is to jailbreak it as they must have it locked down.  The ping of 64 is not superb, but well acceptable (under 50 being what you are looking for). Is the device with the sim a Wifi R209-Z by any chance? Most of these devices allow you to set “HSPA only” in the network settings. Not too sure how much you are in to such things, but you normally can access these by typing or pasting something like http://192.168.0.1 in to your browser. Happy to try to help further if needed.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:21 pm

We have an R206. Thanks for your help.

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Television - Page 3 Empty No problem..

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:17 pm

lancashire lass wrote:We have an R206. Thanks for your help.

No problem..  Guess this is it ? I can't get access to the advance settings for this device, but [url=http://devicehelp.vodafone.co.uk/filestore/devices/Vodafone/R201 Mobile Wi-Fi/VodafoneMobileWiFiR201-Config-Guide.pdf]R201 advance guide  [/url]is likely similar if not the same (user guide is HERE..  if you need a electronic copy)  . In the advanced guide, page 26 is of interest as to the settings. There should be something like I said before to set the "Network" settings to HSPA only. The channel setting could also be important if you see other wifi connections when you are connecting i.e. neighbours could be an interference on an overlapping channel. If you have other devices then they can cause problems. Depends on how far you want to look into it, but I suspect as I said your access is like ours, up and down! Saying that, since we had to buy a new netbook, almost the same spec, it's access to our web here in Italy is 3-4 times better. Obviously you don't want to throw money at it, so it would be better to know if other devices can access ok. Borrowing to find out would be the best plan if you can't get better access from your iPad. Wifi boosters, better routers, mifi devices would all help, but if your access is only as low as last posted, then not too sure they will help. Your device is the same make as ours and we've found it goes to sleep, press the button a few times (not too long to switch it off) and BANG it jump into life and 3g can go to HSPA... Trial and error also found out that a particular room in a particular spot was 10x better than anywhere else... Same in UK for us, on the windowsill in kitchen is the only place that works... If you try and find somewhere is better, then it's down to a booster or extender if you want it in a particular place. First off I would look at your current MIFI settings (R206) to see what they are set at...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Success!!!!
At last, we recorded a program on Filmon, the next morning we downloaded it to our laptop, copied it to a data stick and that evening inserted the data stick into our PVR and bingo!! we watched the program on the tv no problem!!!

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:05 pm

lancashire lass wrote:Success!!!!At last, we recorded a program on Filmon, the next morning we downloaded it to our laptop, copied it to a data stick and that evening inserted the data stick into our PVR and bingo!! we watched the program on the tv no problem!!!
Hooray!! Smile Smile Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Television - Page 3 Empty Glad to hear you did not give up.

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:49 pm

lancashire lass wrote:Success!!!!At last, we recorded a program on Filmon, the next morning we downloaded it to our laptop, copied it to a data stick and that evening inserted the data stick into our PVR and bingo!! we watched the program on the tv no problem!!!

Glad to hear you did not give up. So what worked for you, downloading at a particular time?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:46 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:So what worked for you, downloading at a particular time?
Interestingly enough watching Filmon for us earlier this evening was a nightmare.  When I checked the download speed it was a miserable 0.342 Mb/s. Sad

Now back to it's usual 2.05 but very irritating.  Is it other people also using it that reduces the speed?  Is that, perhaps, why LL was so successful on this occasion?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:03 am

ghiro wrote:
stevegwmonkseaton wrote:So what worked for you, downloading at a particular time?
Interestingly enough watching Filmon for us earlier this evening was a nightmare.  When I checked the download speed it was a miserable 0.342 Mb/s. Sad Now back to it's usual 2.05 but very irritating.  Is it other people also using it that reduces the speed?  Is that, perhaps, why LL was so successful on this occasion?

This is where I disagree with you about using internet search engines for information. It would take me an age to sum up the variety of  issues that can cause variation of wifi speed, or in fact broadband in general. This LINK is a prime example of its use, it is one of many sites I've personally "got experience of" over time, I think the internet can be overrated, but also in many ways it's real impact on the present and the future is way, way underrated. My old job(s) brought me into contact with the net and search engines and at first I found them very frustrating, that was until I learnt how to use them properly. But I digress (or rant), this is either suitable to an "internet" or "froums, warts and all" post Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 am

Well i think I spoke too soon! in anwer to the above question yes we downloaded in the morning as the connection seems better then but since our first flush of success we have been unable to download anything!!

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum