The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there really a place for this??

+3
stevegwmonkseaton
modicasa
sebastiano
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is there really a place for this?? - Page 2 Empty Is there really a place for this??

Post by Flip Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:21 am

First topic message reminder :

Tuscany Exorcisms

I can not believe that there is a need for this antiquated, medieval practice in this day and age. Surely the "Church" should be dispelling this myth and facing the problems of Mental Health in society. What next Ducking Stools in the Arno, burning Witches in Piazza del Duomo...... really !!
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Is there really a place for this?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is there really a place for this??

Post by TAB_Flags Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:56 am

The Original Relaxed wrote:I read the article, and I found it incredibly offensive. Some pillock writing for The Independent and struggling to connect 'the huge rise in exorcisms' (which if you read it carefully actually isn't stood up at al) with economic malaise and a lack of 'professional' attention to mental conditions such as depression. It's complete and utter sensationalist rubbish, the article, and if it had appeared in the Daily Mail I would just shrug, but that The Independent would publish this garbage makes me extremely annoyed. It's basically a play on the anti-Muslim rhetoric which holds sway in the globalised press. Much more apposite would be an article considering the worryingly increased suicide rates amongst Italians (of all religions) which, IMO, can be directly linked to the ghastly economic climate. But that's globalised politics for you - you are not supposed to say anything - so let's go on a fantasy witch hunt.Sorry - but I find this sort of gutter journalism repulsive.

All newspapers and journalists post rubbish. it's to make a story and a headline...so people buy their newspaper or read it if its already free.

I always watch BBC news as I think thats the most unbias newscaster and I only read my local newspaper.

The church is old, on topic, and traditional so why wouldn't this be still going? They don't believe in mental health doctors or mental conditions problems, probably. Even though, it sounds like neither UK or Italy care too much about their mental health budget...which is why samaritans have a hard time.

Here, you are pretty much left alone after your an "adult".

TAB_Flags
Elder

Back to top Go down

Is there really a place for this?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is there really a place for this??

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:14 am

I agree with TAB-flags in that a certain type of press is only after the sensationalist side of any piece of news because they get a nice, juicy headline that sells. 
On the other hand, I remind you that one of the conditions stated by the Catholic Church in order to perform an exorcism is a medical certificate confirming that the person is not a mental health patient and that he/she is not under the influence of drugs or other substances.
But I do agree in that mental health is not a priority for most governing bodies and that, unfortunately, patients are left into the hands of family or volunteers.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum