The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPL heating costs for 50sqm apartment in Aosta

+2
modicasa
stevegwmonkseaton
6 posters

Go down

GPL heating costs for 50sqm apartment in Aosta Empty GPL heating costs for 50sqm apartment in Aosta

Post by almoniyot Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Considering buying a holiday apartment in Valle d'Aosta. Apartment is ~50sqm and is located at 1000m elevation. The apartment is rated energy class "G" and is "Termoautonoma a gpl" which I understand to mean is autonomously heated using gpl. Wondering approximately what it would cost to heat the apartment per week in the coldest winter months like January or February?

Additionally, if I only use the apartment for 2-3 weeks in the winter, would it be worth switching to a pellet stove?

Thanks

almoniyot
Contributor

Back to top Go down

GPL heating costs for 50sqm apartment in Aosta Empty Re: GPL heating costs for 50sqm apartment in Aosta

Post by Geotherm Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Class G is the lowest possible for any heating system, so I do not think any of us could predict what you GPL costs would be in the winter. If it is metered for each apartment, then you would have to see what your costs work out at, depending on how warm you want the place to be over the winter months.
If it is only going to be for 2-3 weeks at a time it should be ok. Consider the installation costs of the pellet boiler etc.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

GPL heating costs for 50sqm apartment in Aosta Empty Re: GPL heating costs for 50sqm apartment in Aosta

Post by almoniyot Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Is something like EUR 50 per week realistic to budget for heating in the cold winter months given a 10kg 'bombole' sells for ~ EUR 32?

Note I have a wife and 3 young children used to warmer climates.

almoniyot
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 pm

I would doubt it, as we used to go through 2 x 47kg ones every 2 weeks in a apartment, about the same size as yours, we rented here before the house was finished, plus wood for a burner.
Have a good rethink on what you are considering.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:25 pm

We have friends here who have been spending €600/mth on gas.. Granted their place is much, much bigger, but I'm guessing they are not heating the entire place. Perhaps an alternative form of heating...?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:04 am

If its class G then it worth thinking about spending money getting to class D or E especially in Aosta - so double glazing, thermal fixtures etc etc - then it wont cost as much to heat.   You can easily spend 100 euros a week on bombole in Sicily in the winter, so I would think in Aosta its highly probable.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:52 am

As Modi says you probably need to look at insulation/Double glazing as whatever you use will probably go straight outside. Pellet stoves to heat that sort of area to an acceptable warmth use approx a 15kg bag of pellets per day at €5.00 a bag. But Aosta gets very cold so need to look at insulation for water pipes etc as you don't want to rock up for a holiday and find everything frozen solid.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:59 am

The other thing to find out if it is mains gas or town gas. We were on mains gas before and paud about 70c a cubic metre now we are on town gas and it costs us (wait for it......) €5 a cubic metre!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Look at getting either 1 or 2 air to air inverter units. They can be found for around E1000 each. Pretty much instant heat, plus the possibility of aircon in the summer.
Insulation is a key point as mentioned above, but if the property is only going to be used for few weeks in the year, then you have to weigh up the costs.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by almoniyot Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Geotherm, Are you referring to something like this below? If so I have one in my primary residence. Never knew it was that much more efficient for heating. The apartment complex was built in 1991, but still seems poorly insulated. Thanks for all of your help.

GPL heating costs for 50sqm apartment in Aosta Inv11

almoniyot
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Yes, that is the type of system I am talking about. You will need a DHW system, but that could be from the gas bombola, with a tank.

You need to get a inverter unit to get the savings and if your electricty supply is under 6kw, then increase it to that.

Have put the Euronics link on below, so you can see what is available.

http://www.euronics.it/acquistaonline/clima-e-grandi-elettrodomestici/climatizzazione/condizionatori-fissi/?cid=cat110070&orderBy=PrezzoOrd&p=1
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum