Car Sharing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Car Sharing

Post by Angela Fuller on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:27 pm

I was just wondering if any others would consider joining a car sharing scheme if there was one in your area.  I do understand this would mainly only be of interest to those living near each other and probably in a town or city.... Any other thoughts on this much appreciated.... It may well be a way of cutting the costs of car ownership here.....?
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Re: Car Sharing

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Well I've seen that much discussion on the problem of not being able to buy a car when not resident, that I've often thought if it were possible to do this... We are resident and have a car, so it's not a problem for us. It seems people buy houses here and then realise it's expensive to hire cars if staying for weeks or moths on end. As I understand it, it's the car that's insured and you can allow others to drive it, so what are the problems?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:47 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:.........moths on end.
The mind boggles!  I've never seen a vertical Death's-head Hawkmoth. Very Happy Very Happy
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:29 pm

There are various 'car sharing' initiatives in Rome, and also in Milan (probably also in other metropoli). There is also blablacar.it (this is more of a 'lift offering' service). I have friends who swear by both of these offerings - but they live in central Rome. I think the essential 'crowd' from whom to 'source' these vehicles simply doesn't exist in less heavily populated areas.

I think the original question was more aimed at neighbouring British holiday makers. This (I have seen it attempted) simply does not work - only because everybody wants a car to drive at the same time! So at Easter, or in June and September, somebody gets well pissed off because they have to hire as somebody else has got 'the car'. Believe me, it is the quickest way to end friendships.

For 'out of season' visits I have a friend who comes from the UK and regularly hires a slightly battered offering (from one of the biggies, Avis I think) for what seems like an absolutely bargain basement price - around 150GBP for a fortnight. 

Although it is correct to say that it is always the car which is insured (and not the driver), in the event of a prang it is the 'insured party' who finds their premium raised the next year, so the level of trust (or tightly written contract) required to enter into a personal 'car sharing' scheme is quite high.
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Apologies Steve - a cheap shot, Sad 

But Lax, as ever, is right on the money.  Car Club, in London, is hugely popular with some 140,000 members.  But for this idea to work in rural Italy is asking a lot.

Hitherto when we've needed an additional car we've hired it locally, always cheaper than at the airport.

However this year we're going to drive a car out in June, leave it for the summer and drive it back in the autumn.
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:23 am

The post was not aimed at people who have bought houses and only come for the occasional week or 'moth', I mean month (sorry Steve Embarassed ).  We do own a car, on Italian plates, which we use on average 3 - 4 days a week and thought that car sharing would be a good, environmentaly friendly idea with people living nearby obviously, in similar circumstances.  I do take on board others comments and realize their must be considerable trust between the sharers and to organize a car share could be a nightmare, but I am sure there must be some likeminded people out there somewhere......
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:09 am

We have one in the valley where we live. It's called Strappoo. We sort of offer an informal lift service as hitching to the coast is alive and well and so long as the driver has seen you face at least once before will almost always stop to give a lift.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am

Hey folks no problem with my keying mistooks... We have friends that drive over in their English car in spring each year and take it back for winter. They often fly back a couple of times to the UK and we take them to and from the airport, as they do for us. We have the Italian plate car here, but leaving it is always a bit of a worry as it often gets very cold here and even in the garage we found the battery totally dead on return once. I think most transport options come with there own problems...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

car sharing

Post by sebastiano on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:32 pm

there are loads of these ,i don't know what to call them associations ,some are pretty big.they have web sites you have to register so there is a trace of you if something should happen.
i joined one when i knew i was driving up to milano and unsurprisingly had two students who needed to go there from ancona.its all pretty simple.
what car sharing is not about is popping to the shops from your rustic idyll.
its mostly people on a budget needing to do a fairly long distance run or commuters around big cities etc.there's no need to make another one.
in any case i have my own rules.only i drive,no smoking ,if i get out of the car they have to as well,no animals in the car,no drinking in the car, idem drugs/sex /relgion/politics...but it's interesting.
in this country it has little to do with "saving the planet" its mostly about money people haven't got.
btw some tariifs are indicated like ancona-milano is euro 20.
sebastiano
Elder

http://www.contradadurano.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:47 am

Well, If I was living in a town / city and had no private parking so had to park wherever I could.  The car at risk of damage etc (an everyday occurance here) and only used the car say 3 times a week, I would be more than happy to reduce the cost of car ownership by 50% if sharing with another.
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

car sharing....

Post by sebastiano on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:35 am

Angela Fuller wrote:Well, If I was living in a town / city and had no private parking so had to park wherever I could.  The car at risk of damage etc (an everyday occurance here) and only used the car say 3 times a week, I would be more than happy to reduce the cost of car ownership by 50% if sharing with another.

yes,of course,but don't forget how ingrained the whole thing about cars and vehicles is .a lot of people are only to happy to deprive them selves of many things provided they can still have and drive a car.....although yes driving in bigger towns/cities is a miserable affair.....my friends who live in manhatten have no car...when they need one they rent a car.the rest of the time use cabs./planes
sebastiano
Elder

http://www.contradadurano.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top