motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad....

Post by Angela Fuller on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:34 pm

More doom and gloom...

British Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad - BBC News
British Motorists going abroad after 8 June are being warned they will need to take a code with them if they want to hire a car.
bbc.com
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Re: motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad....

Post by Angela Fuller on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:30 am

Potentially much more effort required by travellers....again !
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun May 03, 2015 8:27 am

From what others have said, it will make no difference here in Italy as they never ask for other than your licence card. And it's likely to be better in the UK as the hire firms will have access to your records (with your permission of course).

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by mozza on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:06 am

I visited Sicily in May and Italy in June. I went to the bother of doing the online UK thing to get my codes to provide to the car hire company. My sister just returned from Spain two days ago and had done the same thing. Nobody asked us for the codes and it was business as usual.

mozza
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:48 am

I have read somewhere they, the DVLC are delaying implementing this for a while as not enoughnotice given to folks.....Will look it up...
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:50 am

I thinkt they are implementing it but the code will be valid for 3 weeks now.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:31 am

They did implement it on time, but as Admin has said, just recently upped the 3 days valid to 3 weeks as it was such a stupid thing to do.... From people I've spoken to who arrived with their code, they did not even bother with it! EU licence such as an Italian licence then it's as it's always been, although someone we know was asked for evidence of their address, but I'm guessing that was also as it's always been.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

RyanAir no longer with Hertz

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:35 am

As good a place to add this, just in case anyone is looking to use this service. Abruzzolutely had a post today which mentioned RyanAir and Hertz have parted company at short notice. Sure enough on checking RyanAir site Hertz pulled out on 2nd July at "short notice", I wonder. They are saying they hope to have a replacement in place by October!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:40 am

In my experience it,s a bad idea to book your car via the airline.  You find that everyone on your flight is at the same queue.

In any case, I don't think you get a broadly better deal than with Holiday Autos, or any other agent.
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:07 am

You do need the code to hire in the UK.  Just make sure you have your NI number with you at all times in case you need to hire a car unexpectedly (put it in your phone perhaps).

Found car hire prices incredibly cheap at the moment in the UK.  Just hired at Gatwick for only 8 pounds per day - cheaper than owning a car!  You have to shop around a lot though and look at the small print, especially the petrol policy.  We will only hire if full to full.  Limited number of miles seems to be common among cheaper rents too which is fine for us as we only use the hire car t get to our house and then we have a car.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:06 pm

L'uomodellaluna wrote:In my experience it,s a bad idea to book your car via the airline.  You find that everyone on your flight is at the same queue.In any case, I don't think you get a broadly better deal than with Holiday Autos, or any other agent.

Great advice L'uo , we have not hired for a couple of years now, but would in any case likely use a broker. Following the Abruzzolutely post on the subject I did have a look at a couple of broker sites and note they now give a choice of company to use and more interestingly a filter to only show results of companies with your petrol policy choice (we also prefer "full to full"). Had a look at your choice and they look remarkably like Argushire and about the same price, AutoEurope  are better than both, but as I said we've not used any for a while...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Ithink some names are fronts for the same company.
Carrentals certainly goes to Holiday Autos, and strangely, I recently found a better deal with the first.....
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top