5 bar field gate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5 bar field gate

Post by Maisy on Sun May 17, 2015 10:49 am

I am new member to the forum although I have visited the site for a number of years.

I have a holiday home just outside Amandola in Marche.

At the moment we have a horrible metal builders barriers a gate. It would look lovely if it was replaced with a 5 bar field gate. I have searched Google and it does not seem that the Italians have such gates. I was therefore hoping to buy one in the UK and have it sent out to Italy. The gate will be about about 11.5 feet in length and 4 feet high. I was hoping that I could buy a gate in parts ( making it easier to transport) and construct it when I get to get to Italy but suppliers I have contacted in this country will only supply the gate fully made. None of the suppliers will deliver to Italy.

Does anyone know of any companies or a man with a van that would deliver a gate of this size to Italy. Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions for a similar style of gate that is readily available in Italy.

Thanks

Maisy

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 bar field gate

Post by Flip on Sun May 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi Maisy, and welcome. I would inquire with you local carpenter (falegname) to see how much it would be to build one to your specification, most good carpenters are adept at building anything from a shelf to a staircase so one would have thought that they could turn their hand to a gate. Our local 'man' has made an excellent slatted gate for some neighbours and was very competitively priced. Don't forget to haggle and ask for a cash discount.
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun May 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Welcome Maisy. Don't know if his van will be large enough, but you could try Duncan (superman2 on here) to see if it is possible.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun May 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Even better idea from Flip, sure you could get an adequate picture from the web to show them the design you want... e.g. this type of link

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm on Sun May 17, 2015 2:02 pm

Welcome Maisy.
If you would like a 5 bar gate, as we have with or without a side gate, but in metal, the I can let you know the details of the guy who built ours, and to our design.

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Maisy on Sun May 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Geotherm - thanks for the kind offer but I definitely want a wooden gate. 

I don't know any carpenters in the area and I was hoping to install the gate as my first job when I arrive in the summer. Therefore getting a gate sent out is my best option.

Is there anywhere in Amandola where I can buy some bags of cement to set the gate posts.

Maisy

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun May 17, 2015 3:07 pm

You could look on here [url=http://www.paginegialle.it/ricerca/costruttori merchant/Amandola %28FM%29]Yellow Pages LINK[/url]

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm on Sun May 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Maisy wrote:Geotherm - thanks for the kind offer but I definitely want a wooden gate. I don't know any carpenters in the area and I was hoping to install the gate as my first job when I arrive in the summer. Therefore getting a gate sent out is my best option.Is there anywhere in Amandola where I can buy some bags of cement to set the gate posts.

No problem Maisy.

I don't know if you are looking for a product like "postfix" as is sold in the UK, but have never seen anything similar here. In Amandola find Stefano Luccozi. If you turn right after going down the hill in Amandola, past Conad, he is about 200 mtrs on the left hand side. It is a builders merchants, but does not sell aggregate, so that you would need to get from a sand/gravel merchant.
Suggest you get the 42.5 grade cement, as that is the strongest. If you are just putting post holes in, make them as large as possible, as the mainly clay soil here does tend to cause problems. We have a large reinforced concrete trench under ours, which was the recommendation of the guy who made the gate, but I still sometimes have to make minor adjustments.

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisnotton on Mon May 18, 2015 12:51 am

I had a double driveway gate built to my spec from a supplier on Ebay. It worked out very well. They were nearby so I collected it. I was able to buy all the hardware too.

there are quite a few ad's for 5-bar gates too. Here an ad for anything from 3-12 foot pressure treated:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-bar-gate-driveway-field-farm-garden-uk-company-/181746218092?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a50eb346c

In bocco al lupo!
chrisnotton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Maisy on Mon May 18, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the help. 

I need a gate that is about 3.4m in length. It may be easier to get 2 gates at 1.7m each. I think that I would be able to get these (in parts) in a roof box and bring them to Italy when I drive down in July. I would rather have one big gate but it looks like this may be a good compromise.

Maisy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top