The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

guarantees???

+3
Admin
modicasa
stevegwmonkseaton
7 posters

Go down

guarantees??? Empty guarantees???

Post by casa del campanile Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:49 pm

Generally not given to P&M, however recent experience might help someone else in the future.
About 18 months ago bought a Einhell strimmer from Brico in Aulla. Worked fine for the 18 months then totally failed. A  mechanically inclined neighbor advised that the engine was probably “burned out” and best bet was to just buy a new one as the two year guarantee would probably be voided on the basis of “overuse” or some such. Went to Brico and bought the latest model of the same Einhell strimmer. First day it worked fine. Second day would start, run for 20 seconds and die out. Later would not start. Took it to Brico and was given a phone # to call and told someone would come to our house and pick up the machine. I suggested that since we are situated somewhat in the boonies, maybe we could leave the machine with Brico and the machine could be picked up there. Was told no, they will come to my house. OK.
Called the number and was told that yes, someone would pick up the machine at our house, HOWEVER, we would have to pay for the fuel and time of the person picking up the machine and we were 200KM from their location. So much for an Einhell 2 year guarantee, after 2 days worth zip.
In the interim went to a store next to Eurospin near Arcola and bought a different brand. It has worked just fine on the same fuel used in the Einhell so fuel mix not an issue.
So, guess warranties, guarantees, etc. do not mean that much here.
Hope no one else has to experience this stuff.
Fred
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

guarantees??? Empty Re: guarantees???

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Yes, not worth a light! Similar story in our 1st year here, since we have always bought local where we can. We have found and heard many a tale, that with the likes of strimmers (all garden gear) you only get what you pay for it.... There is a standing joke with our ferramenta lads (3 young brothers run it) "is it Chinese"  ot I'll be told before I ask "é non chinese"... (with a big smile on his face). The second strimmer is now in it's 4th year and still does not know what a mechanic look like... Ditto the chainsaw (okay it gets little use).

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:57 am

Brico were pasing the buck.  The store that sold you the product has to guarantee it, not the manufacturer and you were quite within your rights to leave it at Brico.  Its their problem and your statutory rights give you a refund, a new model or a repair at Brico's expense.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by casa del campanile Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:59 am

Thanks for the input. On the "old forum," a long-time ex-pat posited his approach to purchasing appliances, small machines like strimmers, etc. He advised always buying the least expensive item and when it failed, toss it and replace with a new one as the cost of time and money chasing a repair, guarantee, etc. was not worth the effort, whether an expensive "quality name brand" or an el cheapo from Upper Slobovia and environs.
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:38 am

I must admit I've always had pretty good service. I had to return an expensive fan (€100) which literally fell apart after 18 months and they replaced it no problem. It was Autumn and I just put it away for the next year without thinking about it. When we got it out in the Spring, there were sme pieces missing. I took it back to the shop and they replaced it again. I was pretty impressed.

I agree with Steve though, we have Stihl strimmers and chainsaws and they are fab and the shop that sells them gives fantastic service. Stihl strimmers start from €189 list price so don't have to cost a lot.

If you really want a cheap chinese one, what about from Amazon? They have really good customer service so long as you buy from them and not the marketplace.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by casa del campanile Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks for your reply. The new one purchased in Arcola is a higher quality machine and has been operating quite well. Am going to pursue a "repair, replace, or refund" process as advised by a respondent on another forum who was successful by contacting the Einhell HQ in Germany. Wife is German born and can speak to them in their language.
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

guarantees??? Empty Guarantees

Post by casa del campanile Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:32 pm

modicasa wrote:Brico were pasing the buck.  The store that sold you the product has to guarantee it, not the manufacturer and you were quite within your rights to leave it at Brico.  Its their problem and your statutory rights give you a refund, a new model or a repair at Brico's expense.

Spot on!! Went to Brico this AM and told them their previous solution was unacceptable and that "an attorney has told us we are entitled to repair, replacement, or refund." After some scrambling about and a whispered office conference, we were presented with a new machine, an apology, and an expression of hope that we will continue to be valued customers.
Thanks again to all who responded. Guess sometimes a little "brass" helps. Course now have to see if the new one works.
Fred
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

guarantees??? Empty equipment

Post by sebastiano Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:41 am

as thru various ex pats i know i've noticed they will always go to places like brico and similar stores to get these things referring to chain saws/strimmers/ even rotivators etc.these places sell the chinese stuff which is cheap strimmers little more than 100/120 euro and chain saws similar prices.
whereas you'll find that nearly everyone else around here uses very good stuff brands like STHIL ,HUSQVARNA, ECHO,SHINDAIWA these are expensive chain saws from over 500>1000 strimmers 500> 1000
but these don't let you down.they are state of the art and the guarantees respected i had one with an industrial defect it was sent back apparently back to japan for investigation and i was given a brand new one to replace my year old one.
so it's back to the old "pay nuts get monkeys" philosophy...
sebastiano
sebastiano
Elder

http://www.contradadurano.it

Back to top Go down

Post by robjw Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:23 pm

I agree with Sebastiano . I bought a middle priced strimmer 9 years ago. It is still going strong . It has only needed a couple of non-major repairs in that time. I take it to the shop I bought it from in Piane di Montegiorgio 10 minutes drive away and the guy fixes it in a day for no great cost. I never buy power tools from the likes of Brico, Self etc.

robjw
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:37 pm

I've had a McCulloch Strimmer and a Chain Saw now for about 5 years and both have been brilliant, no real problems that I couldn't deal with myself, both cost around the €150 mark and bought from local Brico and still going strong; so not all bad.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum