Pizza day...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pizza day...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Ok I'm sure this should be in "home", but .... it...  Just had a great day (and yes I may be repeating myself) with a couple of friends eating garden produce (ok and a little local vino). Superb when you consider the local forecast was a "real feel" of 43c, so we had to eat inside with shutter closed and lights on... Bearing in mind my now current alcohol condition... Blaring out  Lorrine Ellison "Stay with me baby - I'd strongly recommend, with absolutely no neighbours to upset (at almost full volume) is almost a pleasure. Pera toms provided a superb caprese, followed with individual topped pizza (which turned out well due to recent practice), followed by camembert baked in same oven, served with apple slices and ripe fig - and of course lashings on wine! Suffice to say I'm sitting with cargo shot pockets stuffed with 2 of those blue cooler bag blocks, as something you do when too hot... and having too much vino.... Razz

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Location : Abruzzo
Posts : 1927
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by Gala Placidia on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Sorry, Steve, but you are a glutton for punishment. With 43 degrees outside, even if you stay inside, your "menu" is better suited for winter than for summer. My advice would have been:
Cold Italian Tomato Soup, like this one Soup link Or any other cold soup, like cucumber, or zucchini... Plenty to choose from.
The Caprese salad was a good choice, you can keep that.
Prosciutto and Melon slices.
Pizza and Camembert coming from a hot oven? Suicidal! Delete those!
Apple slices and figs with fresh ricotta or with gelato.
Wine? In moderation and as a cooler. You say "local" wine, so I guess that it is not a vintage wine that you should keep for winter. There are plenty of delicious wine coolers (lots of recipes in the Web). My favourite for summer: peach juice, peach slices, lemon soda and white wine. 
Following my advice you would have reduced your calorie intake dramatically and you would be feeling much better right now.
And please, drink plenty of water to counteract all the dehydration! Razz
avatar
Gala Placidia
Moderator

Posts : 1820
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:24 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:Sorry, Steve, but you are a glutton for punishment. With 43 degrees outside, even if you stay inside, your "menu" is better suited for winter than for summer. My advice would have been:Cold Italian Tomato Soup, like this one Soup link Or any other cold soup, like cucumber, or zucchini... Plenty to choose from.The Caprese salad was a good choice, you can keep that.Prosciutto and Melon slices.Pizza and Camembert coming from a hot oven? Suicidal! Delete those!
Apple slices and figs with fresh ricotta or with gelato.
Wine? In moderation and as a cooler. You say "local" wine, so I guess that it is not a vintage wine that you should keep for winter. There are plenty of delicious wine coolers (lots of recipes in the Web). My favourite for summer: peach juice, peach slices, lemon soda and white wine. 
Following my advice you would have reduced your calorie intake dramatically and you would be feeling much better right now.
And please, drink plenty of water to counteract all the dehydration! Razz

Thanks Gala, but I'm a relatively fit 12-13 stone weakling (that's 75-85k for those that way inclined), at around 6' I think I have a good idea what to eat! The pizza oven is 10m away from the house and a great way of cooking. Vintage wine is a load of .... unless it happens to suit our taste Cool  As for aqua, we drink it as if it was going out of fashion, bit like us old farts.... (can I put that, let's see) Shocked

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Location : Abruzzo
Posts : 1927
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by ghiro on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm firmly on your side Steve. Smile 

You make it sound like a wonderful day that will long live in the memory (I only wish I'd been invited!).
avatar
ghiro
Moderator

Location : Massa-Carrara
Posts : 825
Join date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:02 pm

ghiro wrote:I'm firmly on your side Steve. Smile You make it sound like a wonderful day that will long live in the memory (I only wish I'd been invited!).



Thanks Ghiro, I'm sure Gala was only thinking of our health. But you are right, it was a wonderful day and I'm glad you understand the post - the memory will be added to so, so many. You are welcome any time, but I can't promise vintage wine.


Last edited by stevegwmonkseaton on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Location : Abruzzo
Posts : 1927
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by Flip on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:21 am

It's never too hot to have a good time Steve, as it says in the Bible :  Ecclesiastes 8:15,
‘Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry’
I left out the bit ''for tomorrow we die''
avatar
Flip
Elder

Location : nr. Bagni Di Lucca. LU
Posts : 796
Join date : 2013-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:22 pm

Flip wrote:It's never too hot to have a good time Steve, as it says in the Bible :  Ecclesiastes 8:15,‘Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry’I left out the bit ''for tomorrow we die''

Ah, so that's where Gala got the idea... Idea

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Location : Abruzzo
Posts : 1927
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by Gala Placidia on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Well, Gala's good heart is trying to save you from a heat apoplexy, which is not fun at all. It is advisable to be careful with what we eat and drink in the middle of a heat wave and this choice should not interfere with having a great time with family and friends. Here is some valuable advice http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/15/what-eat-drink-heatwave
avatar
Gala Placidia
Moderator

Posts : 1820
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by Flip on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:13 pm

I think The Guardian is missing the point there Gala, it should be advice for actual real people; who in God's name drinks ''hot infusions of dried chrysanthemum or honeysuckle, or bitter buckwheat tea'', or eats ''spiced aromatic pig's tongue'', do you actually believe this tosh that is printed?
Valuable advice, yeah if you're a certified idiot.


Last edited by Flip on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spellink.)
avatar
Flip
Elder

Location : nr. Bagni Di Lucca. LU
Posts : 796
Join date : 2013-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:32 pm

Flip wrote:I think The Guardian is missing the point there Gala, it should be advice for actual real people; who in God's name drinks ''hot infusions of dried chrysanthemum or honeysuckle, or bitter buckwheat tea'', or eats ''spiced aromatic pig's tongue'', do you actually believe this tosh that is printed?Valuable advice, yeah if you're a certified idiot.

Ok, I'm not too convinced about the "spiced aromatic pig's tongue" , but hey the buckwheat tea!

Seriously, different generations with different ideas (knowledge) on diet. Gala has alluded to before about problems they have caused, so I can see where she is coming from.... Lucky I suppose that we were brought up in such an educated, health concious era where some of us learnt from the mistakes of the past....  Just hope our children do even better...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Location : Abruzzo
Posts : 1927
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by Gala Placidia on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:28 am

The way I interpreted it was that different cultures have different ways to fight a heat wave. I would not be keen to follow the Asian customs unless I was in Asia, and then... "do as the Romans do".
In any case, I think that my proposal of a menu for a hot day was not only sensible, but delicious and refreshing. Melon and prosciutto is one of those summer delights that can't be replaced. And a summer cooler with plenty of ice is a blessing! But... Do as you please....
avatar
Gala Placidia
Moderator

Posts : 1820
Join date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizza day...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum