The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italian supermarket olive oil test

3 posters

Go down

Italian supermarket olive oil test Empty Italian supermarket olive oil test

Post by Admin Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Here is an interesting article where they tested 20 brands of olive oil commonly found in Italian supermarkets. 9 out of 20 were not extra virgin. Lidl did not fare well!

(sorry - Italian only)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Italian supermarket olive oil test Empty Re: Italian supermarket olive oil test

Post by ghiro Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:49 pm

And I have a bottle of Cirio & one of Carapelli in my kitchen today - both bought at Conad.  Shameful.  Sad
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Buy local Ghiro. There are lots of producers and mills in your area. Or take a look at La Spesa in Campagna which is a portal run by the farmers union to encourage buyers to buy direct from the producer. We're on it!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:16 pm

We do buy local for our quality olive oil for use on salads etc.  The other stuff we only use for cooking - but, even so, you'd expect it to be what it says on the bottle.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:17 pm

You would hope so!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Looks as if these tests are becoming more common and frequent amongst olive oil producing countries. The Spanish Consumer's Association has just published a similar one regarding local production, denouncing that there is increasing fraud, particularly amongst the largest distributors. So, as Admin says, it is better to buy directly from the smaller producers. It is easy to detect the big difference in colour, aroma and the fact that real cold pressed olive oil is not transparent. It is actually unfiltered. Yes, it may cost a bit more, but it is worth the difference. Also, remember that even if olive oil is good for us, there is no need to use copious amounts.a smaller amount of the real product will give more flavor to your dish and will be better for your health.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:48 pm

I am really not trying to disagree with you Gala but it is my business so it is something I know a lot about. The colour has nothing to do with the quality and in fact when oil is tasted by a testing panel they use blue glasses so they cannot see what colour it is. The colour of the oil will change during it's shelf-life as the Chlorofil lessens with time.

It is also not correct that cold-pressed oil is not clear. Cold pressed means it has been pressed at all times at a temperature of less than 27 degrees. This does not affect the cloudiness of the oil. It is the residue of the olives that determines whether the oil is cloudy or not. Freshly pressed oil (and by that I mean pressed that day) is cloudy because the sediment has not had time to settle.

Extra virgin oil can be filtered or un filtered. It is a personal preference. We do not filter but we do decant the oil after 30 days as too much sediment can turn the oil rancid. There is an argument for filtering as it introduces less air into the process (as compared to decanting) and so there is less chance of oxidisation. So filtered does not mean poor oil.

Smell is partly true as it is in fact taste that counts and obviously the two are related. When you properly taste good EVOO alongside poor quality or stale oil you will really taste the difference. The others taste like old chip fat in comparison! It is really off-putting.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:15 pm

I think that this article clarifies quite a few points regarding olive oil http://www.aromadictionary.com/oliveoilfaq.html
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:25 pm

This is also a great website and if you haven't yet read Tom's book I can throughly recommend it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down