Mobile phones

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mobile phones

Post by Crixus Murmillo on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:26 am

I haven't read the whole topic, and I don't want to open a new one, I hope you don't mind if I post my question here.

I am soon coming to Italy (in cca 20 days) to study for two years.
Am I going to be able to have a contract with, lets say, TIM? I will have a residence permit.

I want to ask you mainly about phones. Do they have good deals? Is it better to buy a new (unlocked) phone here, or to buy it in Italy via operator, paying monthly?
For example, I'm interested in HTC One m8. I can get it here for 350 EUR, a new unlocked one.
Could I have a better deal with Tim or some other network or no?
What's the popular way of using mobile phones there, prepaid or postpaid, or maybe something third?

Grazie

Crixus Murmillo

Back to top Go down

Re: Mobile phones

Post by Admin on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Welcome Crixus. I have moved this to a new topic as it is about mobile phones and not landlines.

Firstly, I would say see who has the best reception in the area you will be moving to by asking around when you get here. You can definitely get a contract if you have a Codice Fiscale, however in Italy 'Pay As You Go' (or prepaid) can also be done via direct debit to your bank account or credit card or even on a top-up basis with a deal. The deals are no better or worse with a contract or Pay As You Go so it depends on what suits you. All the deals are online. The major companies are TIM, Vodafone, Wind and Three. All towns have a mobile phone shop who will advise you and set up a deal for you. Yes, you can pay for a new phone on your contract or Pay As You Go deal. If you look at the sites of the companies above you will see how much they charge for that make of phone.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crixus Murmillo on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank you!
I will be living in Ancona.

Crixus Murmillo

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:45 pm

PAYG does it for me,

V
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crixus Murmillo on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:34 pm

But I really don't get it, I've been searching on the sites of Italian operators, and it seems it's complicated, and with hidden things and costs.

Now I'm sure that I would like to buy HTC One M9 via network. 
Could somebody be so kind to explore what is the best optio?

There's:
http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privati/Tariffe-e-Prodotti/Prodotti/Smartphone/HTC-One-M9---offerte-per-Privati---Vodafone

http://www.wind.it/shop/scheda_telefono.php?id=456

http://www.tre.it/prodotti/htc-one-m9

Ma io non capisco niente alla fine...
I just want the best offer.

Wind seems like a great offer, but at the end it seems like you can't use the internet only on your phone, there are 2 SIM cards, and you use one for the calls, and the other for the internet?! WTF? Why can't they be normal?

Crixus Murmillo

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Crixus Murmillo wrote:WTF? Why can't they be normal?
If you're moving to Italy for 2 years you'd better get used to it - and quickly.  'Normality' in Italy is often quite different from elsewhere and sometimes hard to grasp. Sad
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:53 am

A little tip for you all if you are having problems with a Mobile Phone Company re, Bills, Charges, Contracts etc. air your views on Twitter using their @ tag (@VodafoneIT, @Wind etc) it's surprising how quickly they get back to you. I did this and got my problem resolved in 24 hours after several months of fruitless exchanges with their Customer Services and they call you back when they have all the information so no long calls to their customer service places.
Also they get you an English speaking representative if you Tweet in English.
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chillout on Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Most of the phones sold in electronic stores are unlocked so I would just select one from your local store. Almost all of the operators offer a pay as you go tariff for around €10 a month where you get calls, texts and internet included. (there seems to be very little difference between the operators)

Also, look into the virtual operators too as they normally offer better rates. (coopvoce for example)

Tutto Italy

Chillout
Contributor

http://tuttoitaly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top