The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone still alive in Italy?

+3
modicasa
Gala Placidia
ghiro
7 posters

Go down

Anyone still alive in Italy? Empty Anyone still alive in Italy?

Post by ghiro Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:11 pm

So the WHO are scare-mongering again.  According to them salami, ham and other 'processed meats' cause cancer. Sad

Where I live most people have an antipasto including lots of the above followed by a 'red meat' course - also vilified by the WHO.

It's a wonder that the entire population of Italy isn't dead by the age of 40! SmileSmile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Anyone still alive in Italy? Empty Re: Anyone still alive in Italy?

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:33 am

There is a lot of criticism arising from the WHO report. I would say that it is a gross exaggeration. The basic rule should be: everything in moderation. If anyone's diet is based on red and processed meats, that person is going to have all sorts of trouble. But also, a person who drinks daily 5 liters of full milk will also be in trouble.. To have red meat twice or three times a week is good and necessary, as red meat is an important source for vitamin B12 and iron. Processed meats are a different problem. Home made salumi, cured ham, hamburgers using freshly  minced meat without preservatives and chemical substances are healthy choices. Perhaps the WHO should concentrate on publishing guidelines regarding food additives before starting this scaremongering campaign.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:45 am

It does say the Mediterranean diet is best, precisely because it is low in processed meats.   Look on a UK supermarket shelf and its nearly all processed meat, full of chemicals designed to prolong shelf life.    Live on a diet of chorizo and 'Pepperoni' which has a sell by date of about 2017 then it isnt going to be good for you.   As Gaia says, a balanced diet is what they're aiming at - just eating pot noodle and coca cola isnt going to do you any favours.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:01 pm

I also wondered whether this could be true.  Does anyone know the incidence of bowel cancer in Italy?  Is it higher than the UK? The reports identified ham as processed, but that's not what I think of as a typical processed meat.  I'm thinking hot dogs but I guess salami could be considered processed.

Come to think of it, I have no idea what process is involved.

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:40 am

I think the key is exactly that - how is it produced. In the press here the Prosciutto producers are up in arms becuase they say their DOp product has no chemicals, additives, colourants etc and so they say it is not a processed food.

My husband worked in a bacon factory when he was a student and believe me that was truly super-processed - even the premium and organic bacon. In fact the guy labelling the packets couldn't read so you got whatever he had to hand!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:29 pm

The thing will the 'umbrella' ''processed'' is that if it is not fresh, anything else falls into that category. What is used to process or prolong it's shelf life is the real key here. Using smoke, or chemical mixtures to preserve the meat is the source of all of these carcinogenic properties, whereas air drying, or using salt is more safer and simpler way to preserve the life of meat.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Basically, the old, traditional methods of preserving food were, and still are, safe and sound. It is the addition of chemicals and other products to extend the shelf life of any product, the ones which are questioned.
Processed? Where do you set the limits? Most food must be processed at different levels.
I can assure you that a good prosciutto, salt cured and air dried, without nitrates and additives is not going to harm you. 
One final warning. Avoid buying ground beef or meat of any kind which is prepackaged. Those trays contain lots of additives. Go to a reliable butcher, select the cuts you want minced and ask him to ground them for you. The only trouble is that you should cook the mince immediately as it tends to oxidize very quickly.mbetter still, buy yourselves a mincer and do that process at home. Buy one that is easy to clean, as hygiene is most important. Particularly if you are mincing poultry.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:39 pm

The thing is, as you get older, you need all the preservatives you can get lol! Very Happy
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:25 am

Geotherm wrote:The thing is, as you get older, you need all the preservatives you can get lol! Very Happy

I prefer 'Pickled in Alcohol' from the inside out.  drunken
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:38 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Interesting reading http://www.sciencealert.com/so-processed-meat-has-been-classified-as-carcinogenic-here-s-what-you-need-to-know
And now, I am getting sick and tired of seeing so many 90 and 100 year olds stating that they have always eaten red meat, sausages, ham... And they are in perfect health.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:00 pm

More interesting reading http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/26/italy-parma-ham-defend-prosciutto-processed-meat-scare-cancer
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum