The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy

+6
Gala Placidia
Vicino
stevegwmonkseaton
JulianaAlice
modicasa
Torrione
10 posters

Go down

Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy Empty Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy

Post by Torrione Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:51 pm

We normally avoid Ryanair but might need to use them in April this year as Easyjet seems to have cut back on their flights to Pisa.  Has anyone had experience of Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy - only 90 cabin bags allowed on board - the rest have to go in the hold?  

There are some heated discussions taking place over on Tripadvisor, where the most recent comments seem to indicate that it is strictly enforced, even when there is space in the lockers, to ensure punctual turnarounds.

http://blog.tripadvisor.co.uk/2014/01/10/tripadvisor-forum-watch-tips-on-what-to-do-in-london-ryanair-baggage-policies-and-american-onesies-2/
Torrione
Torrione
Contributor

http://ciaolunigiana.com

Back to top Go down

Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy Empty Re: Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy

Post by modicasa Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:11 pm

In my experience they reserve the right to put cabin bags in the hold because there is not enough space for 250 suitcases plus all hte other stuff people try and take on board.  On every flight Ive taken over the last few months, at least a dozen cases have to go in the hold because there's not enough space left in the cabin.   Its especially true on flights from italy and especially from south Italy and Sicily as everyone has to take mozzarella with them.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy Empty Re: Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy

Post by JulianaAlice Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 pm

It's not so bad really. As well as your free carry on case you are also allowed free of charge another smaller hand bag or duty free bag so; provided you have packed the valuables/reading material/specs/sandwich into the smaller bag, if they confiscate the larger carry on hand case for the hold, it doesn't matter.

In our experience, you leave the carry on case at the foot of the stairs to the plane when boarding, and pick it up from the carousel inside the airport upon arrival.  We have found as our case is last into the hold, it is first out.  No cost involved.

As a result you are not inconvenienced at all.

Additionally, Ryanair are about to introduce free allocated seating.

Nearly as good as EasyJet who have no weight restriction on your carry on case.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

http://www.familychest.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 pm

JulianaAlice wrote:Additionally, Ryanair are about to introduce free allocated seating.

I'll be happy if they do, but also very.very surprised. Not my favourite people, but they provide a service very cheaply... So cheap, we have booked a seat almost since they introduced the facility, well worth it!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Ryanair Launches Allocated Seating On All Flights From 1 Feb

Ryanair, Europe’s favourite low fares airline, today (5 Dec) launched allocated seating on all Ryanair flights from 1st February 2014, which is now available when booking on the Ryanair.com website, which allows all Ryanair customers to choose their preferred seats in advance (or to book seats together with their companions).
Ryanair customers can now select their preferred allocated seat either during the booking process (through the ‘manage my booking’ feature) or when checking-in online with three seat options available:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-launches-allocated-seating-on-all-flights-from-1-feb

Ryanair customers who do not wish to pre-select their seats can check-in during the period from 7 days to 2 hours prior to their flight and they will be assigned an allocated seat at no cost. (Free allocated seats will not be available prior to 7 days before each flight departure).
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:11 am

One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms.
Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 am

Notwithstanding there will still be at least 50% of passengers who leave their brains on the tarmac and get into the plane at the wrong end, can't find their seats because they're looking at the wrong thing, lose their boarding pass between the gate and the stairs, and try and fit a small child into the overhead lockers.

modicasa
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:26 am

We 'enjoyed' a flight with Ryanair recently................we got very stressed out about the size and weight of our carry on luggage, to the point we went and bought new suitcases !!

When we got on the plane, there were all shapes and sizes of bags stuffed into the overhead compartments and without doubt many were MUCH bigger than the ones that we stressed out about.

Travel shouldn't be like that.............pay a price, take what you need and relax!

V

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Travel is mostly getting from "A" to "B" and I would guess "B" will always be better than the in between else why would we go all the way... However we do enjoy more travelling by train more than any other mode, however once over the 2-3 hour travelling time, then all become not only stressful, but also very tiring. The plane is my least favourite mode of travel, but at just over 2 hours, having something to do on it, I find it quite acceptable. Totally agree you should pay a little extra if you can to make it one less thing to be bothered about. I'm the first to whine on about the extra charges, but really we are paying less for flights now than we were more than 10 years ago...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:57 am

I refuse to whine about Ryanair - the prices are low, very low for anyone who rememeber Eddie Laker.  You pay your money and take your choice.  What I cannot support are passengers who pay no money for a ticket and expect to fly first class on Emirates, and then whinge and whinge and whinge.  Read the website, read the conditions, choose whether to fly or not, and thats it.  It doesnt entitle people to whine on and on for years about not being able to put their childs Barbie suitcase in a locker because they hadnt read the T&Cs.  I do not work for Ryanair, loath flying, but refuse to complain about any form of transport that can get me 1000 miles for 30 euros.

modicasa
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:37 am

Agree with you, Modi. It looks as if some people do not understand the meaning of "low cost airline". Simply, "no frills". They will never offer what other carriers do, but, on the other hand, you only pay a fraction of their price. I have flown with Ryanair in the past and I would complain about the passengers, not the airline.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:41 am

Totally agree modicasa, we tend not to fly nowadays, and certainly all the negative stories put us off completely. However, after using Ryanair last year for the first time in years, it was nothing like as bad as we had feared (still won't rush back though !).

The next time we do fly, we will just get on with it and not take any account of the bad stories that people seem to delight in spreading.

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:44 am

I do so agree with you both.  Fly with Ryanair many times a year, also with Al Italia.  Now that you can take a handbag on as hand luggage as well as a small case I am happy - that was my only gripe - it took so long to board as everyone had to unpack their bags to get at their reading material/wallet that they needed for the journey.  I dislike Stansted airport which is why I will fly Al Italia if the price is right but no quibbles with Ryanair itself.  They are upfront with the charges and you just take it or leave it.

Have just returned from trip to Australia on the new Dreamliner.  Can honestly say that Ryanair seats were infinitely preferable, even with no recline.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:52 pm

I will always be grateful to Ryanair for converting me to the freedom of hand luggage only, from previously thinking I had to take something for every eventuality, so that I struggled to even fit my hand luggage into my hand luggage if you know what I mean. It's such a joy to be so unencumbered. I just wish there was a similar rule for travelling by car when I feel I need to cram something into every last bit of space. It's exhausting! Maybe I need therapy.

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:20 pm

I always fly with hand luggage only, and normally, as an EasyJet passenger where hand luggage is never weighed, I am in the habit of cramming "useful" items like stock cubes, light bulbs, dishwasher tablets, into every corner space and pocket of my case, until the locks are fit to burst.  I can hardly stagger up the stairs to the plane and heaven help anyone seated below if the locker bursts open mid flight, and my case  falls on the head below.  Guilty.

This time it is a Ryanair flight where my hand luggage will be closely monitored for size and weight and, like Vicino, I've been out and bought a new case.  I had no handbag under the size regulation for the additional handbag we are now allowed to carry on board, so I have bought one of those too.  So far new luggage has cost me the price of 4 new Ryanair flights!

From the EasyJet line up at the airport, smugly, I have seen unfortunate Ryanair passengers sent back to repack their hand luggage to the required weight or get it stowed (at a big cost) in the hold.  I don't want to be in that position, so new luggage it had to be.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by pas55 Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 am

Well  we have come back from Sardinia.Flew out with Easyjet as is our norm and returned with Ryanair.I've not used Ryanair in years mainly down to poor service in the pastb  but,I was more than happy this time around great service and great staff.The only thing that bugs me is the poor website and phone app compared to Easyjet
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

Ryanair's new carry-on baggage policy Empty Don't worry

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:12 pm

pas55 wrote:Well  we have come back from Sardinia.Flew out with Easyjet as is our norm and returned with Ryanair.I've not used Ryanair in years mainly down to poor service in the pastb  but,I was more than happy this time around great service and great staff.The only thing that bugs me is the poor website and phone app compared to Easyjet

Don't worry, it seems to me MrO changes the site every few weeks just to keep you on your toes! Never know they may just come up with something you like. I assume like every thing else that he does not want to pay very much for his IT...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:45 pm

its not the greatest site, but its fast - and given the amount of traffic it handles its quicker than easyjets which can take ages to get through the booking pages.

modicasa
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:08 pm

... well as you may guess, I use lots of sites and although I've not used Easyjet for some time I still recall it's very slow. More that it is slow than Ryanair fast. Problem I find is that many concentrate on swish design over speed, whilst the latter is by far more important to most people...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Juliana Alice. where did you get your handbag from? It seems such a strange size, 35x20x20. (I do have a carry on case in the exact dimensions allowed by Ryanair but it took some searching for.)

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Just use a Jacket (Parka Style with large rear zipped pocket) with big pockets like I do. Mine can take a laptop, Kindle or book plus 4 other pockets with various stuff in them (even had a pair of shoes in them before) never get questioned hwen carrying it on.
 Razz
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum