The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying a property in Italy

+10
Sagraiasolar
Flip
Admin
ourtoscana
La Dolcevita
stevegwmonkseaton
ghiro
The Original Relaxed
Gala Placidia
modicasa
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Buying a property in Italy - Page 3 Empty Buying a property in Italy

Post by modicasa Mon May 27, 2013 3:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

It sounds simple. It isnt. Since 2007 the amount of paperwork involved in buying and selling has grown exponentially, so it really is a good idea to use a proper, registered, listed estate agent when you're buying. Of course, there will be those who are useless, but at least they will have a grasp of what is required. The basics are these:
You see a house you like, and want to put in an offer. The first thing to decide is when you want to complete the sale, as this bears heavily on your next steps. If you want to sign the final act asap, then make a written offer, a formal 'proposta di acquisto' and propose you go straight to the 'rogito' or final act. The proposta requires a small returnable deposit - usually one or two thousand euros, that will take the house off the market and allow you prepare for the notary's act of sale. IF it's going to be more than a month, you should think about doing a formal preliminary or compromesso which is, to all effects and purposes, the legal contract. If you back out after the preliminary you will lose all your deposit (around 20/30% of the agreed price), and if the seller backs out - he has to (usually) give you double back. The compromesso is full of clauses, but the legal minimum includes - the price, what is being sold and when the final act of sale will be. Then you sit back, look at possible bathroom tiles and wait until the due date falls. By the time of the rogito the seller/agent will have got all the necessary paperwork together and you will all meet up at the notary's office to sit round an expensive table while the notary reads the act of sale. If you dont speak Italian you must have a translator or the act is null and void. The notary should explain the ins and outs of the sale and ask you if you understand what's going on. You will be expected to pay the balance to the vendor, pay the notary and pay all the purchase taxes on the deal. You will also have to pay the agent - though some agents demand their commission at compromesso as they legally have the right to, even though morally its a bit dubious. The agent must be cited in the act of sale, along with how much you have paid them. Alot of agents, illegal agents and blokes who have a brother who has a house, won't want to appear in the act of sale - but it's illegal not to be there, and if they're not you, as a buyer, have no legal redress if the property you buy isnt as advertised. The law will say they never existed.
It sounds scary, but its isn't, keep your head and don't go all - well we're in Italy so Ill throw caution to the winds - silly. So, if you see a house on your first day and the agent asks you to sign something - don't. At least, not until you know what you're signing.
You will need a codice fiscale (tax number) an Italian bank account, and a Berlitz vocabulary book of useful household terms like gutter, backboiler, grommit and flange.
At the moment, apart from the Gran Canal in Venice, its a buyers market - dont be pushed into making decisions, time is on your side. Any questions?

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Buying a property in Italy - Page 3 Empty Re: Buying a property in Italy

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Visit on vacation by all means, but I think renting for 6 months minimum is a very, very good idea.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by FBower Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:06 pm

We had worked in Lazio many years earlier and knew roughly where we wanted to buy so it was just a matter of narrowing down location and house type. Nonetheless there were issues, despite both of us speaking Italian, but we took the bull by the horns and have never looked back - just do your research, learn some of the language and be prepared for the fact that things rarely run smoothly when buying property anywhere.

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by threaset Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:44 am

that is the right thing, to live for many months in Italy to know the region, people, language, and then decide to buy a house. I saw  many attractive houses in the real estate web sites, but without knowing neighbors, or the region, it would be hard for me to buy because I am living in US.

threaset

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:47 am

That will be the right thing to do. Don't rush! Good luck with your future plans!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 pm

The USA is a long way to travel to Italy, but dare I suggest you have to budget those visit(s) in to your plans. However something in your posts suggests seeing "good" deals online. You need to ask yourself why and then try to find the answer. Look into costs of making a place to your liking. You will find all this information is available, but you may need to sort the good from the bad. I would suggest getting hold of a book on buying in Italy as a starter, then research any questions it may raise. I know of a number of people who have successfully moved from the USA to Italy.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Buying a property in Italy - Page 3 Empty Buying a house in Italy

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:06 pm

I was wondering if we had a post on renting before buying and came across this wonderful information on buying a house in Italy. Buying a house in Italy (deliberate reuse of the term, sorry) is likely the one bit of information most potential new members will join a forum (although many do join after buying  - and many wish they had found the forum(s) first). Ok I see we have something on renting before buying, so why post again. Well should this important post not be a sticky, oh the other reason is to repeat the phrase "buying a house in Italy"  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Last edited by stevegwmonkseaton on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct the main theme)

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:07 pm

I saw this post on that old forum from Flyingpigs, same "Flying Pigs" on here I would guess. Specific answer to a question on there from someone, but I thought it was an excellent post that give a great and honest insight for anyone with a family looking to live here in Italy. If you read this FP it would be a lovely piece to add to this please...  Smile The post was in reply to a family looking to live and work here, couple of points raised in it were the school system here, lack of outdoor activity for kids, limited work and cold damp winters... Just wonder what others here see as the difficulties for families moving here?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:17 am

Will start a new topic and put it in - have to be later today, not time at the moment to work out how to do it!

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 am

Think it would sit in here nicely FP, but I often get my posts in the wrong place... To insert a new top in this category there is a button just below this "quick reply" to do so...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:37 pm

In response to Steve, I am pasting my post from another forum.  It was in response to a couple who were considering relocating with their young family to Puglia, and more specifically possibly Ostuni.  It is really only my thoughts on the topic.  Interestingly there has since been a poster who sees things differently.

We have had a trullo just outside Ostuni for over eight years.  We love it but we are a semi-retired couple.  Over the years we have seen a lot of families from the UK be a bit disappointed with their Italian dream.  The education system seems to be very rigid, with little time given to physical sports or creativitiy.  Also you may imagine a lovely outdoors lifestyle for your children.  Unfortunately, Italian parents are very over-protective and it is very rare to see children playing outside at all.

A town property would probably help your children integrate more easily as they can feel very isolated in a country property and you would find you were a permanent taxi service.

The winter over here can also be quite difficult depending on the property but most properties are not insulated and have insufficient heating - it can be very cold and damp.  The dampness is the main problem.  Energy costs can be very high and the reason many properties are so cheap is that they can only be lived in in the summer.  Having building work done is very costly.

There are many considerations but renting before you burn your boats and sell up in the UK would give you a good idea of whether you wanted to permanently relocate.  A year out for children of most ages is beneficial and it would give you an idea of location, town or country, etc.

Making a living over here can be difficult, some manage it but it can be very hard work and take a long time to get established.  If you can continue working over the internet you should be alright.

Sorry not to be more encouraging but would prefer to be honest.  Good luck with your new adventure and hope it all works out.

Last edited by Flying pigs on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change font)

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks FP, I've also just this minute read the other post, it too is superb and different. Peoples different experiences well put are just what you need if you are thinking of buying in Italy. I thought in many respects they were actually saying the same, but putting a more emphasis on the positive side of life, whereas I think at times you should tell it like it is for you. I personally think it vitally important people know both sides and make their own mind up about their risk. What you said I've heard from many living here and have experienced the same ourselves. I still love the place and wouldn't change a thing!!!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3