The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World's largest cruise ship heading for Italy

Go down

World's largest cruise ship heading for Italy Empty World's largest cruise ship heading for Italy

Post by Torrione on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:53 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/10622567/Worlds-largest-cruise-ship-heading-for-Europe.html
This ghastly floating resort is due to dock at La Spezia and Civitavecchia, the only ports big enough to accommodate it.  As a friend pointed out, this monster has nearly 6,300 passengers, while the resident population of the Cinque Terre (near La Spezia) is around 4,100. And of course, these cruises are designed to funnel most of passengers' spending money back into their own accounts rather than into the local communities they overrun.   Mad 
Torrione
Torrione
Contributor

http://ciaolunigiana.com

Back to top Go down

World's largest cruise ship heading for Italy Empty Re: World's largest cruise ship heading for Italy

Post by Flip on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:30 am

I hope it has no plans to dock in Venice...
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

World's largest cruise ship heading for Italy Empty Re: World's largest cruise ship heading for Italy

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04 pm

Fascinating article... thanks. I'm sure however Italy will make some money out of the big crate, passengers would not be there if they were not wanting to visit Italy and I'm sure they will spend....  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by TAB_Flags on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:44 am

Torrione wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/10622567/Worlds-largest-cruise-ship-heading-for-Europe.htmlThis ghastly floating resort is due to dock at La Spezia and Civitavecchia, the only ports big enough to accommodate it.  As a friend pointed out, this monster has nearly 6,300 passengers, while the resident population of the Cinque Terre (near La Spezia) is around 4,100. And of course, these cruises are designed to funnel most of passengers' spending money back into their own accounts rather than into the local communities they overrun.   Mad 

That is massive. But It won't ALL go to the cruise ship.

I just went on a cruise called "70000 tons of Metal" and we went on a private beach in Mexico and spent between around 500 dollars. So at least the owners had a good day right?

I think some ports have a rule that cruise ships have to make their passenger spend in local shops...i think. My mum was saying something about that when she went on a cruise to the nile. (undoubtly probably where this ship is going?)

TAB_Flags
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Flip wrote:I hope it has no plans to dock in Venice...

I believe Venice has banned all these big cruise ships now.  I remember we had to read an incredible article about it in my italian class and statistics are just horrendous.  Apparently the vibrations from the motors when the ship is harboured caused all the building foundations to shake and they also upset the marine life around and about harbours, to say nothing of the carbon emission pollution etc.  

I've never been tempted to go on a cruise but now I'm getting older and can envisage a time when it might be a convenient way to go on holiday but hopefully never on one of these floating cities.  They're too big.

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum