The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC channels - satelite frequency change

+11
Carciofo
IRITALIA
Vicino
Flip
ghiro
chrisnotton
Perlasca
The Original Relaxed
stevegwmonkseaton
Tinca
Casa Monal
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change Empty BBC channels - satelite frequency change

Post by Casa Monal Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:37 pm

I understand from our friends in Liguria that the BBC channels are no longer available.  Apparently the BBC has changed their frequency and to continue to receive them, you need a satellite bigger than 80 cm.

Does anyone have any further info or suggestions?  I must admit that although I seldom watch telly, I do like to catch up with the news while we’re there.

Thanks flower
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change Empty Re: BBC channels - satelite frequency change

Post by Tinca Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:51 pm

BBC, ITV & C4 have just moved to a new satellite. It's a bit technical but for the last couple of years you have been able to pick these channels up with a relatively small dish. However, the move to the new satellite means that the beam from the satellite is now concentrated much more over the UK. This improves reception for people in the UK but makes it much worse for people in Europe.

In order to get these channels you are likely to need a much bigger satellite dish unless you are right in the north of Italy.

I think the same will apply to picking up BBC radio using the TV.

If you have UK Sky you should be able to get your Sky channels are these are broadcast on the pan European beam rather than the UK beam but you will still not get BBC, ITV & C4.

I hope this helps.
Tinca
Tinca
Contributor

Back to top Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change Empty Re: BBC channels - satelite frequency change

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 pm

I would guess the answer will be here LINK . The general answer I've seen around is to look at filmon.com (if you have the bandwidth)  Smile  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks very much Tinca and Steve, much appreciated  Very Happy  Will check info on link tomorrow...brain dead now  Rolling Eyes
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:24 pm

In answer to Tinca, I'm told that the BBC radio stations have also disappeared from the previously 'working' satellite and moved to Astra 2E which has made them unavailable in (central) Italy.

Of course, you can still get them through iplayer on the computer (even on dial-up because they don't contain a lot of data).

If you haven't got a reasonable ADSL speed to get TV on the computer (because you haven't got any coverage), there is only the possibility of a satellite based internet service which will be universally available. Tooway is one of these.

The snag with tooway (and afaik all the others of this ilk) is that they have a monthly limit of (depending on contract and cost) 10GB volume of data exchanged. That's not a lot of hours worth when you are streaming TV (less than an hour a day).

However (looking at this for a friend) tooway on their less basic packages 'don't count' the data you exchange in off peak hours, so you can download stuff to watch offline (if you are a night owl or a computer whizz, anyway) which does go some way to address the problem of data volume. (I think this free at night stuff is a novity).

I'm not recommending (or saying anything against) tooway, it is the only company I've been researching - but it came to light that their supplied package of hardware does not give you 'domestic Wi-Fi' but only a LAN cabled solution (which is pretty inconvenient IMO!) I'm awaiting their call to discover the extra cot of this 'accessory' which they will supply according to their website.

If anybody does decide that they need to go the route of proper satellite internet now that the UK TV stations appear to be completely out of range it is important to look at the contracts extremely carefully.
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Lax if you have a Lan cable connection you should be able to stick it into a wireless router (not too dear). There was also a recent post on here with a link for sat internet an when I checked the cost for it had halved in about a year. It also was a minimum 20GB download limit.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change Empty T'interweb???

Post by Perlasca Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:16 pm

We get about 1mb download speed and rather to our amazement we can get UKTV using Expat TV (one of many VPNs), with hardly any problems.  Ie we can watch whole progs without buffering.  Does the job for us but we are only part-time plus don't have any burning need for super Sports channels and the like

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone. We used to watch TV on Filmon before we had a dish and telly, will give it a try. So a bigger satellite dish won’t necessarily solve the problem?  Mind you, I hate those things, they’re so ugly.

Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisnotton Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 am

My friends in France, who have had trouble with the proxies that you mention, because of speed problems mostly, have reported success with Chrome browser & the Hola extension.

I often default to Chrome on my laptop when I encounter a slow connection & generally find it runs better in difficult conditions than some of the better known browsers.
It is worth installing Chrome & giving it a try anyway.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en.

If you have peak-bandwidth restrictions Google "recording Iplayer" or "ripping Iplayer" There are several solutions to enable you to record the program & watch it later.
I haven't used any myself: I have just played the programs, started my "Audacity" recorder and left it running, but there are dedicated programs for ripping Iplayer and avoiding the annoying time limits on watching them.

In boco al lupo  Wink
chrisnotton
chrisnotton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Well I'm sitting on the Tuscany/Liguria border and all is (more or less) well.  Smile 

We receive our UK TV from Freesat via a largish dish (about 1.3m I would guess, but too high on the wall for me to climb up and measure it accurately!).  Since the satellite move we've lost all the HD channels but can (usually) get everything else including Channel 5.

However there are problems because the signal for the main channels is much weaker than before.  'No signal' when there's heavy rain.  Sad   And the signal is currently worse at night than during the day (not quite geostationary satellite?  changes to the ionosphere?).  At times like these we're very grateful for Filmon!!

Perhaps of interest we have 2 TVs and 2 Freesat boxes.  The signal on the Humax box is much better than on the Grundig box.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Why worry...if you have a decent Internet signal, use Filmon to watch all the UK TV channels or Expat Shield as a VPN and watch the ITV, BBC iPlayer etc all for free.......
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 pm

Flip wrote:Why worry...
Yes but.....! 

I'm not convinced we have unlimited broadband for our €20 or so each month and somehow watching on a 32inch LCD TV is much more satisfying than on a laptop with adverts surrounding the picture.  Sad
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:02 am

ghiro,

connect your laptop to yourTV with the use of either a HDMI cable or a VGA cable..............full screen 32" will be all yours.

Also, with FILMON there are no adverts once underway ? I think that all Internet providers have a limited usage clause, but in reality, it is usually only the satellite providers (such as Tooway) that invoke it.

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:39 am

Vicino wrote:ghiro,connect your laptop to yourTV with the use of either a HDMI cable or a VGA cable..............full screen 32" will be all yours.Also, with FILMON there are no adverts once underway ? I think that all Internet providers have a limited usage clause, but in reality, it is usually only the satellite providers (such as Tooway) that invoke it.

V

Ghiro, this is good advice on the big screen front... There are also devices out there to allow connectivity over WIFI if you have the bandwidth.
Not so sure on the limited usage not being real, it is in my experience. With a lot of ISPs you don't know about it until they throttle your bandwidth to a point of it being unusable. Many people don't realise this and think there is simply a problem with their PC/device. Most ISPs seem to have a 10GB limit (or did have, not checked for a while), which is more than enough for lots of day to day use, but not BBC iplayer in my opinion and likely not Filmon either. However I've not used these to any great degree, so it might be useful if those that have can let people know what their experience is of it, along with details of the bandwidth they have.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:48 am

Following on from steve's post, I use an HDMI cable from laptop to 42'' TV and definition is great; I also bought a GoogleCast wireless dongle which goes into the TV and steams your content from  your laptop & Google Chrome.
Word of warning I still haven't been able to get the dongle working and have complained to Google about it with little luck so far. Apparently if you don't have the latest windows version and your wifi isn't top quality (according to some on a forum) you can forget it.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm sure I posted some links on the Abruzzolutely forum on this subject, but unfortunately it's still down, so I can't look it up. A quick Google of "turn your tv into a smart tv" will give you lots of links if you are not happy with having the laptop/tablet hooked up by wire to your TV. Of course if you have a so called "smart" tv, it's likely to have the capability built in to connect to your wifi. A good word of warning from Flip that you need to make sure these things do work with your set-up.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 am

UK TV update

I use Filmon as I'm sure many other do ? Recently I came across this site again http://www.tvguide.co.uk/  and notice that immediately beneath each channel name (that filmon delivers) there is a 'watch' link, this effectively launches filmon.

The added benefit of this site is that you get an easy to read TV guide layout which you can scroll through for any TV planning that you might want !

Hope all that makes sense !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am

Excellent link V.  Thank you.  Smile  Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by IRITALIA Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Yes, thank you for that super link Vicino, Long may it last.  Smile 

For those looking towards a larger dish solution I would advise checking if it will indeed work.
I am in Northern Tuscany and have a 1m50cm dish and have lost all the main channels. They do, strangely, come back for a bit now and then which is more frustrating than exciting. Perhaps a stronger LNB or a slight realignment of dish might help so may have a go at that. I read that the new Sat is 28.35e as opposed to the old 28.2e but not sure if this makes a great difference.  Question

IRITALIA

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:44 am

I suspect if you google "Satellite footprint maps"  you will find the main UK TV stations are on a very narrow band. If you find out the Sat name, then look at the relevant  map for it here Lynsat LINK

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 pm

I've just looked at the Sky satellite footprint page (http://www.skyhelp.tv/sky-satellite-footprint) and if I'm reading it correctly, all we would need to do is to have an appropriately sized dish in Italy and then take our Sky box over with us when we go for holidays.  Does anyone have experience of doing that?

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Carciofo wrote:I've just looked at the Sky satellite footprint page (http://www.skyhelp.tv/sky-satellite-footprint) and if I'm reading it correctly, all we would need to do is to have an appropriately sized dish in Italy and then take our Sky box over with us when we go for holidays.  Does anyone have experience of doing that?
Mmmm, not really, but my past (very long time ago it seems) experience of Sky would be to double check what ever they state...   Laughing  Laughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:01 am

I'm not aware that this is "do-able", if you have a decent Internet connection, you could use SKYgo ?

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Panner Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 am

Sky box works fine with a suitable sized dish (size depends on where you are). However, you will not get the BBC (except BBC's Red Button 2), ITV, Channels 4 & 5 programs as these are all on the the new satellite with a tight footprint over the UK (unless you have a very very large dish that might pick up some signals on a good day). The remaining sky/freesat channels are nearly all on a wider footprint that can be received with a reasonable sized dish. We get these in Puglia and most of the time they are OK.

I doubt that the SkyGo will work unless you are masking your presence in Italy or use one of the Satellite internet providers that give you a UK presence. SkyGo, like BBC's Iplayer and ITV/Channel 4/5 catch up on the internet will not work unless it recognises that you are in the UK. (it is all to do with copyright and where they are allowed to show the programs)

The other alternative is one of the other internet TV providers, some are free and some you pay for. These usually work provided you have a reasonably fast connection.

If you are taking your sky box then if you put it in hand luggage you need to take it out when you go through security at the airport.

Panner
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:00 am

Hi Panner,

What size dish have you got in Puglia ? Re Skygo etc, this DOES work very well with a VPN connection. I receive, I guess like you, all of the SKY channels, NOT the terrestrials BBC/ITV etc.

Cheers,

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum