The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Prime Minister ....

+2
Neil D
Flip
6 posters

Go down

New Prime Minister .... Empty New Prime Minister ....

Post by Flip Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:21 pm

So it looks like the battle in the PD party has gone to the vote and by a massive majority Renzi looks set to become the PD leader and new PM.
Letta resigns
Can't help thinking that this will be the soundest move in Italian politics for a long time, they will have a Charismatic leader who is determined to drag Italy, kicking and screaming, out of the recession.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

New Prime Minister .... Empty Re: New Prime Minister ....

Post by Neil D Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:54 am

The idea of a prime minister who isn't even an elected MP may suit Renzi's spin that he is not from the old political class but he is using the same back-stabbing, double-dealing machinations to secure power that have characterised that class.  It's hard to see why he is better suited to effect Italy's much-needed reforms than Letta given that he may not be supported by Alfano and if he relies on the Left Ecology Party for votes they  may baulk at further public spending economies.  O tempora, o mores!
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:30 am

I fundamentally have a problem with Italy being governed by anyone unelected. They should have gone to the polls.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Well 3 PM's in less than 3 years and non directly elected is a state only Italy can identify with; but we all know that Italians go for Personality over substance every time (hence Berlusconi) and Renzi does have this together with youth on his side. It will remain to be seen  if these much vaunted reforms of his in both the reformation of the Voting system and Parliament will actually bear fruit and will the 5S party actually support the reforms or just continue to sit on a fence ????
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Italy historically been governed by the unelected.  A charade of an election makes very little difference.  More important is Renzi's resemblance to Mr Bean - shame on the Italian press for not making hay of this! http://www.avavada.com

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

New Prime Minister .... Empty new pm.

Post by sebastiano Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:37 pm

yes, actually i too would be happy if it all" worked".BUT i'm rather afraid that Renzi could easily be burnt out with this curious passing of the sceptre ( again) i mean to be the third unelected PM in a row...inheriting..the worst national situation since the war with all those turds still there in their place in parliament...we'll see
sebastiano
sebastiano
Elder

http://www.contradadurano.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil D Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:24 am

According to the Independent:
“Renzi will schmooze Berlusconi in a way the others won’t,” Professor James Walston, a politics professor at the American University of Rome, told The Independent, “which is a pity, because it doesn’t seem appropriate having a convicted criminal leading a delegation to the Presidential Palace.”

So much for the new broom.  Plus ca change...
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:52 am

I posted this some time ago and then a new thread was opened up so I've moved it to the new one !

I just can't keep track of what goes on in Italian Politics, Letta is now going, Renzi coming in, Berlo in (or out) Prodi dipped in, Monte came and went, Grillo shooting from the sidelines............Napolitano is EIGHTY EIGHT years of age !!!

How on earth can you get any sort of stability and growth with all this political in-fighting !!

I've only been a here a few years, I'm exhausted !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum