The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giant vending machine

+2
Vicino
JulianaAlice
6 posters

Go down

Giant vending machine Empty Giant vending machine

Post by JulianaAlice Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:16 am

I have just read about the UK's first push button automated shop. Residents of rural villages can now buy groceries including milk, eggs, bread and toiletries, around the clock, from giant vending machines located outside the local pub or village hall.

http://villagevending.com/

I wonder how this concept would go down in remote Italian villages? Not too well I suspect. What would the Italian vending machine have to stock in place of packet soup, tinned beans, gravy mix? No! I don't think it would work!
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

http://www.familychest.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Giant vending machine Empty Re: Giant vending machine

Post by Vicino Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:42 am

An interesting one JulianaAlice, I would think the sell by dates would have to be shortish (although they do have milk vending machines in (I think) Amandola near our place) ?

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:44 am

Another milk vending machine V.  A small start perhaps but what next..........?
http://ciaolunigiana.com/raw-milk-aulla/
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:15 am

... 1st April is a little way off  Smile  Smile  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:39 am

I wonder how they keep the inside tubes clean ?!

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Good idea.  Apparently the local milkman also collects on line orders from major supermarkets and for a small fee, delivers it together with your milk order i.e. rural villages in the UK not Italy!
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:43 pm

JulianaAlice wrote:http://villagevending.com/ I wonder how this concept would go down in remote Italian villages? Not too well I suspect. What would the Italian vending machine have to stock in place of packet soup, tinned beans, gravy mix? No! I don't think it would work!

Come on - nobody has suggested what items might go into the Italian version of the giant vending machine ......... what might the hilltop village housewife run out of just when the last bus to town has gone?
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Watermellon, giant pumkin.... Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:53 pm

I have just heard from Peter the creator of the Village Vending Machine, as I suggested he stocks babies' nappies .... I live in a village in the UK and when my daughter visited she unexpectedly ran out of nappies and had to drive 6 miles to Tesco for them.  Probably the Italian housewife is too organised to run out of anything .....
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:51 pm

I think the Italian housewife asks her neighbour. Our milkman in the UK used to deliver all sorts of food items as well as milk. Our ice-cream van when I was a kid sold 'pop' and cigarettes! The local pub in our village in the UK used to sell milk and cash cheques. See, no need for impersonal vending machines!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:30 pm

The idea of this vending machine is that it becomes the village shop.  It is more than a vending machine – it is a Giant 24 hour VENDING MACHINE that dispenses everyday essentials for any rural community who has lost/does not have a shop. If one was installed in an Italian village, I suppose it would mean the local trader in his van would lose his business, and the customers would not get their daily gossip - unless it was whilst queuing for their turn on the machine! Imagine!

It contains chiller compartments and handles the range, weight, or delicacy of a wide range of products such as milk, eggs, bread, washing powder and so on.  The idea is for local produce to be stocked inside and sold at prices competitive with any small shop. It works by lifting a small basket up to each shelf before a mechanism pushes out the desired product. This way it only has a small distance to travel, preventing milk bottles from bursting or eggs from smashing.

The look is of a shop and it can be given a traditional feel with a brick front and awning. The result is what essentially amounts to a huge outdoor vending machine - but the term "automatic shop" is actually far more appropriate. 

It is is fitted with an array of security features including cameras and alarms, and updates the central management by email when items are running low. Customers can view stock in any particular machine, and its availability, live on the website before "going shopping".

Wow! Maybe the first ones could go into Conad carparks for out of hours shopping until people get the hang of things.  scratch
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Well if it stocked Bombay Sapphire gin, Schweppes tonic, Peroni beer, Pinot Grigio, Rosso di Montalcino, milk, butter, eggs and orange juice I'd be the first in line!  Very Happy  Smile  Very Happy
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Ghiro...................where is it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:09 pm

ghiro wrote:Well if it stocked Bombay Sapphire gin, Schweppes tonic, Peroni beer, Pinot Grigio, Rosso di Montalcino, milk, butter, eggs and orange juice I'd be the first in line!  Very Happy  Smile  Very Happy

It would be a bit too useful for me when in Italy on holiday and returning home after a day out .... I always seem to get off the train/drive into our town, half an hour after Conad has closed, and just have to be taken out to dinner as there is nothing in the fridge.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum