The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Amandola Riffuti Rules

+5
TAB_Flags
Flying pigs
Vicino
Hazy
ghiro
9 posters

Go down

New Amandola Riffuti Rules Empty New Amandola Riffuti Rules

Post by Geotherm Thu May 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Don't know if anyone else got confused by this, but earlier in April, all the bins started to disappear. So, you think, logically, that hey are going to be replaced Evil or Very Mad . No notice where they used to be, so nobody possibly has an idea what is going on.
Surprise, surprise......... the commune has decided to go recyclying mad, but unfortunately does not tell anyone unless they have been to one of their meetings. This came into effect on 7th April. Checked with our geometre who works in the commune after about 3 weeks who said, "yes it's all changed". Great for them to let you know of course, but typical Italian that you have to be psychic.
So down wife goes to commune, given a little brown bin with about 4 different types of bags in it, signs a form to say received them, plus a list in English, of what is allowed and what is not in each bag. Initial bags are not barcoded, but in future they will be, as at the bottom of the list it says you will be sanctioned if you put in the wrong things, so presumably they will scan them and look through them.
Ok, we get past that part and back to the roadside bins. There is supposed to be one for glass, cans, foil trays, plus one for food waste (brown), where you can dump those items daily and at no set time, as with the other items. So off I go today to the nearest place that I know ....... glass bin yes, brown bin. no. But already there is other rubbish dumped that has not been put there between the authorised hours of 6.30am to 8.30am, plus on the wrong day.
Don't know about being sanctioned for the wrong rubbish, but perhaps the idiot in the commune should be sectioned under the mental health act.
Anyway the good news is that Comunanza is not changing until next year, Servigliano still had the normal bins, as did Sarnano.
Moral is, if you go to any of these places take your rubbish there, before the recycling crazies get even more paranoid.
Rant over.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

New Amandola Riffuti Rules Empty Re: New Amandola Riffuti Rules

Post by ghiro Thu May 01, 2014 5:44 pm

My heart bleeds for you Geotherm.  Sad  Sad
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu May 01, 2014 6:00 pm

We have had this type of thing for over a year now and to some degree it works for us. However, us being up a long drive the guy delivering the bins (yes they told us AND they delivered bins) decided we needed large bins that are not emptied as often, but do not get full in a day! From a glass point of view... for us this is/was excellent until the guy (same guy every time) came to pick up the glass bin (read bottle bin for us)... his cart loader could NOT lift the bin as it was too heavy... Me and him had to throw lots of bottles in by hand before it could pick it up...  Rolling Eyes  Shocked  Rolling Eyes

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu May 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Oh I forgot the bar-code bit. They came around again just last month and put on a bar-code and an  EU sticker. Can't see how they can say it's your rubbish based on this bar-code as it all goes in together without a squint! Me thinks they are getting kick-backs from the EU, but have to have records of the bins they empty...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Fri May 02, 2014 6:37 am

We've had this for over 2 years now in Carassai. If you live in the main town you get a little plastic basket to fit in the brown bags for organic waste - these bags go into smallish brown bins on the street and are emptied daily. We also get plastic bags - blue for tins, plastic and bottles and yellow for paper, cardboard tetrapaks etc. These bags are put out on the pavement and collected on a fortnightly basis - people seem to be good and only put them out on the right morning so there is no clutter. We also have green bins on the street for any rubbish that doesn't fit these categories. All in all, everything seems to be covered and works well.  Very Happy

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri May 02, 2014 8:53 am

What a load of TOSH !! The rest of the world don't seem to bother, we drop ours off in Servigliano (as that is where we buy most of it!) even though our commune has the recycling 'stuff'.

One day some months ago, a Servigliano house owner took a photo of me whilst I was filling a bin near his house !

I felt quite important - not sure whether he was part of the paparazzi ??!!   Laughing 

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri May 02, 2014 9:55 pm

ghiro wrote:My heart bleeds for you Geotherm.  Sad  Sad

I would not mind if they got their act together. No notification of the change given. Door to door collection ..... we are a few kms out of Amandola, and have not seen the refuse cart pass by to date, for the door to door. The roadside bin about 1Km away has only the glass bin and not the foodstuff brown one.
I went past it today at lunchtime and there was other rubbish just dumped there, in black bags, so the "forbidden" part on the comune instructions is already being ignored. just as the "no smoking" rule in many places is to date.
I am quite happy to dump the foodstuff there, but as no bin then sure the local dogs would love a free meal everyday, the plastic bag is biodegradable, so wont hurt them, hopefully. Will carry on using the places that still have proper bins, until this farce is sorted out. 3rd world country this is for sure.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Update on Amandola riffuti.
Went into commune today, as no solution for the disposal of plastic etc on the "porta a Porta" collection.
We are on a white road, so no doorstep collection. Result 40% reduction on the rubbish bill, plus told to just put the plastic in any bin available.
There is so much rubbish piling up outside the recommended bins, that it will soon be like Naples here as well.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Geotherm wrote:Update on Amandola riffuti.Went into commune today, as no solution for the disposal of plastic etc on the "porta a Porta" collection.We are on a white road, so no doorstep collection. Result 40% reduction on the rubbish bill, plus told to just put the plastic in any bin available. There is so much rubbish piling up outside the recommended bins, that it will soon be like Naples here as well.

I'm pretty sure they are raking in some cash here from the EU for recycling i.e. they came around at the start of the year and stuck EU sponsor stickers on our bins... I would guess others are doing so... I would suggest you write to the comune asking them if it is worthwhile you getting in touch with the EU to see if they can help... Very Happy  I can only complain about the amount of increase in the rubbish tax here since recycle came in (perhaps I should also ask our lot about getting in touch with the EU..!) , but they are good and have give us extra large bins as we live up off the main road up a steep hill, but still they empty them regular. Same guy most times and he is so helpful ... Mind you, not too sure putting spray cans in the metal and plastic was right or safe...? silent

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:08 pm

You are very lucky Steve, we have no bins at the house and have to go and collect different coloured bags from local shop 2k's away, then take them up some 600m up a very steep hill on the correct day before 7.30am or a fine is threatened.
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:15 pm

According to our 'porta a porta' innstructions, bombolette spray vuote go in the  bag for plastic and metal....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

New Amandola Riffuti Rules Empty So the guy was right

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:According to our 'porta a porta' innstructions, bombolette spray vuote go in the  bag for plastic and metal....

So the guy was right, very good, but glad I don't work in the place they process it... Hopefully this is what they do with it and not just dig a hole! Seriously this is a major problem because I suspect, possibly quite rightly, the EU is paying Italy to help recycle as the conditions here much be awkward. Saying that, we had a nice surprise when going back to the UK last year, our council there decided in their wisdom that a good cut back would be not to collect glass.... So your 91 year old mum with a drink problem has to get on her bike down to the local cricket club or out of town supermarket to dump her bottles... Ok she is fitter or stops drinking, but this is the wrong thing to be doing... No No

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:You are very lucky Steve, we have no bins at the house and have to go and collect different coloured bags from local shop 2k's away, then take them up some 600m up a very steep hill on the correct day before 7.30am or a fine is threatened.

Just put the stuff you are supposed to put in on certain days Angie into normal polythene bags and dump them by the bins. I have no intention of getting up to deposit rubbish on certain days. This was not well thought out and I could not care less if the commune is getting a grant from the EU.
System worked perfectly ok before, but money to an Italian government is the golden goose.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:02 pm

I don't think the EU will be too pleased either if you have to go all that bother to recycle.... Mad

Last edited by stevegwmonkseaton on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : incorrect spelling)

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:54 am

We have this 'eco' collection for rubbish in Ostuni.  However, they haven't ever reached us at the perimeter of the countryside.  I have given up recycling altogether, other than glass which for some reasons are the only bins around.  I take all the remaining rubbish to the neighbouring commune who still have the odd bin in the country.  However, a few weeks ago that bin was overflowing and unwilling to add my rubbish to that all over the road I had to drive 16km to our 'isola ecologica' to dispose of the rubbish as I couldn't have it sitting around any longer.  Very environmentally friendly.

When we first came to Italy I thought that the one thing they had right was the rubbish being collected early every morning from the large communal bins and lots of recycling bins around.  Now all bins have disappeared and the countryside is littered with rubbish everywhere.  If they are not careful they will find that in a few years not a single tourist will return as the rubbish situation in Puglia is becoming like we hear about Naples.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 am

This topic also came up on our local forum the other day and there seems to be two opposite things going on here in Italy and in the UK. From the few places I know in the UK, there seems to be a move towards less recycling and here they are trying to do more. Like I've said I'm pretty sure Italy is being forced to by heavy EU fines for not doing enough. Problem is that they have all went down different paths on implementation. A lot of these I've seen are a move towards individual house collection as opposed to the old central bin points. In a country with lots of small isolated communities this just does not make sense. When we first came here we were not too pleased with having a central point as we were used to having our bins emptied weekly at our front door. But we now do think this was the correct approach for these rural areas at least. They had the almost ideal solution, which simply needed separate bins. I guess the extra number of bins and the Italian mentality of putting the rubbish in the first they come to would not have helped. Hopefully the country will one day become a little more joined up! I can only repeat that we were very lucky as our drive up to the house is up a steep 200M hill, so they give us large bins all to our selves. Ok they don't get emptied as often as those with small bins, but often enough (apart from the glass for some reason...) for it not to be a problem.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by TAB_Flags Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 am

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:This topic also came up on our local forum the other day and there seems to be two opposite things going on here in Italy and in the UK. From the few places I know in the UK, there seems to be a move towards less recycling and here they are trying to do more. Like I've said I'm pretty sure Italy is being forced to by heavy EU fines for not doing enough. Problem is that they have all went down different paths on implementation. A lot of these I've seen are a move towards individual house collection as opposed to the old central bin points. In a country with lots of small isolated communities this just does not make sense. When we first came here we were not too pleased with having a central point as we were used to having our bins emptied weekly at our front door. But we now do think this was the correct approach for these rural areas at least. They had the almost ideal solution, which simply needed separate bins. I guess the extra number of bins and the Italian mentality of putting the rubbish in the first they come to would not have helped. Hopefully the country will one day become a little more joined up! I can only repeat that we were very lucky as our drive up to the house is up a steep 200M hill, so they give us large bins all to our selves. Ok they don't get emptied as often as those with small bins, but often enough (apart from the glass for some reason...) for it not to be a problem.
It won't matter if you recycle or not if not US and china don't do the same as EU.

But for personal piece of mind, I recycle my waste paper. It used to be in my council, that you had one bag, an orange one, for EVERYTHING recyclable. That created, jobs (as people need to sort out the items in the bags) and it was easy.

They took this away 2 years ago? when the tories got voted in. Not a suprise really.

TAB_Flags
Elder

Back to top Go down

New Amandola Riffuti Rules Empty new waste recycling rules implementation.

Post by sebastiano Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:34 am

Yes,there is of course,little excuse for any inadequate preventive information on these new rules.
However i can only say it was about time too that they were introduced.
Even in much larger more important centres in this country the system is now working very well with great benefits to the comunities involved.
Personally i'm only too happyto comply.
Apart from the poor information and lack of info from the comune concerning this, what i don't understand is the rather aggressive WTF attitude on the part,apparently,of many here concerning these new concerted efforts towards rubbish recycling ( and if there is a bit of difficulty or confusion in the begining ..so what).
My SIL who lives in the north near milano has, in her condominium, the obligation to use 8 different coloured bags for the varying kinds of rubbish and if the wrong rubbish is found in a bin( by the rubbish police!?) the entire building is fined ,there is also a rather byzantine collection calendar for the times of the week for the different coloured bags/bins to comply with.
so the future awaits!
sebastiano
sebastiano
Elder

http://www.contradadurano.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:26 pm

We would all be happy to comply Sebastiano, but when you live on a "white road" , unlike yourself, then it does become a problem, as no 'porta a porta'.
I now burn most of the paper and follow the instruction from the commune to just put the rest in any bin as they have not yet got an answer to the problem. 
It was quite amusing, when there was something going on at San Ruffino a few months ago, that there was so much rubbish strewn around the Abbey, that you could have said it was a new waste tip.
It is not WTF attitude, as we have been to the commune many times to try and get a answer. The communal bins did work in many ways, but this new system is crap!!
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Now, now Geo, not "cr@p" , "rubbish"!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Well I noticed in the summer months rubbish everywhere....and have put it down to the tourists who understandably wont get up before 8.00am to drive to re-cycling places on particular days so the rubbish mounts up.... When they leave, the owners / cleaning peeps have to get rid of it all so 'fly dump' it away from their homes..... Have been told this by a few.......not nice....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

New Amandola Riffuti Rules Empty disposing of rubbish

Post by sebastiano Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Geotherm wrote:We would all be happy to comply Sebastiano, but when you live on a "white road" , unlike yourself, then it does become a problem, as no 'porta a porta'.I now burn most of the paper and follow the instruction from the commune to just put the rest in any bin as they have not yet got an answer to the problem. It was quite amusing, when there was something going on at San Ruffino a few months ago, that there was so much rubbish strewn around the Abbey, that you could have said it was a new waste tip.It is not WTF attitude, as we have been to the commune many times to try and get a answer. The communal bins did work in many ways, but this new system is crap!!
as a matter of fact i do live on a white road in fact over 2 kms from a" major"and whilst our comune is only just about to start differentiated collection (03/11/14)we have been doing it for over a year taking our stuff to a neighbouring comune who started before us.involving many kilomtres in rubbish trips despite already paying quite a lot in rubbish tax .in fact our new system is even more draconian than whatever is going on in amandola and later on there will though i imagine it'll take time there'll be micro chipping to ensure traceability and consequent fines for wrong rubbish i can assure you this is all rose water to the new german systems
sebastiano
sebastiano
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Well, I suppose a result, in the riffuti saga. Have just got our latest bills, 60% reduction on the tax, as we live more than 400 mtrs from a collection point, so 150 Euro for the year to pay!!
Sebastiano, my apologies, as thought you were on a metalled road, so long since I have been in your area. Just another point we found out a few days ago, is that if you put your rubbish in another commune areas bins, is that you can be prosecuted if caught, as you are not paying that area rubbish tax.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

New Amandola Riffuti Rules Empty rubbish etc

Post by sebastiano Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 am

Geotherm wrote:Well, I suppose a result, in the riffuti saga. Have just got our latest bills, 60% reduction on the tax, as we live more than 400 mtrs from a collection point, so 150 Euro for the year to pay!!Sebastiano, my apologies, as thought you were on a metalled road, so long since I have been in your area. Just another point we found out a few days ago, is that if you put your rubbish in another commune areas bins, is that you can be prosecuted if caught, as you are not paying that area rubbish tax.
Since Monday we have finally joined the full monty of differentiated rubbish.As an outlying "frazione" we will not have collection of "umido" (food waste rubbish) but have been given a composting machine. we already have the bins for glass -alu-paper -plastic these will tend to be (everywhere ) more and more "personal" to avoid people from other comuni dumping their rubbish in them! the comune has already held two meetings to explain everything supplied copious documentation and an incedible list of what goes where.All this rigidity is due to the fact that if done correctly the rubbish seperation huge savings can be achieved for the comune which get passed on to the people in the form of reduced rubbish tax..hopefully it's just the start and inevitably there'll be some initial confusion but it will be much better.our comune has already set up a collection point for big rubbish like fridges,beds,tv's etc which is none too soon..we'll see how it all works out.
sebastiano
sebastiano
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:32 pm

It will be interesting to see if it does reduce the cost over time does go up or down much. Ours was 286 in 2013 (1st year of recycle) and down to 216 this year. Perhaps after the initial 1st year cost they have reduced the bill?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down