The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Registering a vehicle (quad bike) in italy

Go down

Registering a vehicle (quad bike) in italy Empty Registering a vehicle (quad bike) in italy

Post by Perlasca on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 am

Now have chunky red quad bike ready to be shipped out to Italy. Can anyone explain where I should start with trying to register it so it is road legal in Italy? Is that going to mean fierce insurance?

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Registering a vehicle (quad bike) in italy Empty Re: Registering a vehicle (quad bike) in italy

Post by Flip on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:18 pm

A word with your local ACI office may be able to point you in the right direction.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Registering a vehicle (quad bike) in italy Empty Re: Registering a vehicle (quad bike) in italy

Post by Perlasca on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks Flip. I'll investigate but the hassle factor (plus insurance) may be too much. Especially since the bike was bought on ebay and comes without any documentation! I know how the Italian bureaucracy loves their documents... Rolling Eyes

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:04 pm

If you don't have any Documentation then you will be in for a World of Pain here. Does it have registration plates?
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Think you will be in for a lot of pain as Flip says. If it has UK registration plates, then it would need export documentaion from DVLA. You could be entering a minefield over here!!!
This is the UK website for quadbike rules, which may also be similar to the Italian ones, although here they can be more pedantic.
https://www.gov.uk/quad-bikes-the-rules

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:43 pm

What you will certainly need is a scheda tecnica, issued by the manufacturer. If the model of quad bike has not been sold in Italy, you won't be able to get one of these. Without one you will not be able to register the bike (IMO)

You'll also need proof of ownership (a printed receipt, if it doesn't show VAT you'll have a problem). You would also be well to get a copy of the original receipt when the quad was originally purchased. Think traceability of ownership, and get everything you can.

I'm not so depressed about the lack of numberplate - it could realistically never have been registered for road use, so I'd present it as a new registration. You'll also probably have to take it to the local motorizazzione for a vehicle inspection.

It won't be easy, that I can promise! What I have said will apply to all vehicles except motorinos, small scooters, and vehicles which run on small numberplates: it is conceivable (though unlikely) that the quad bike comes into a special category - there are some small tractors which I think I have seen running about on small plates.

I've no idea about insurance - try putting the model into an online site (there are some which don't ask about the targa but I can't recall which ones)
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Perlasca on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks all - I'll see how masochistic I feel before embarking on this. The bike's only been used off road, so it's not UK registered. Its main use in Italy will be field work - bombing about white roads is a possible added bonus

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 pm

http://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/t364228s.html

You might find the advice on this page useful
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Salmone on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:33 pm

You will need a European Certificate of Conformity from the Manufacturer and a V5. If the bike has no documentation I would forget it in all seriousness. This is a minefield you don't want to walk into!

Il Salmone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum