Post by Angela Fuller on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:08 pm

Has anyone any thoughts....Yes or NO ?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Scottish Referendum Empty Re: Scottish Referendum

Post by ghiro on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm English! Smile

If the Scots vote for independence then so be it.  Personally I'll be sad to see the UK broken up.

And if they do vote 'Yes' then I suspect 5-10 years hence they'll deeply regret it.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:11 pm

"Yes" I have thoughts, "no" I'm not saying.. Smile  Seriously I think a post on the Abruzzolutely forum summed it up for me.

Abruzzolutely wrote:I think it's ironic that the Tories support for Better Together applies to Scotland but not to the rest of Europe - surely if it's a good thing to "pool" sovereignty - the more pooling the better
Ok I'm not too sure on the political jibe, but the sentiment to me is so correct!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:44 pm

As far as I'm concerned England/Wales will be a better place without the threat of a diet of Deep Fried Mars Bars washed down with Iron Bru.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Flip wrote:As far as I'm concerned England/Wales will be a better place without the threat of a diet of Deep Fried Mars Bars washed down with Iron Bru.

.. you missed deep fried pizza... Believe me you all want to miss it!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:23 am

Amusing perhaps but definitely misguided opinions about the food - have any of the people posting ever lived in Scotland? Although born in England I lived in Scotland for 25 years before moving here to retire in the sun and certainly think it should break away from Westminster misrule.
Stevemonkseaton has a good point about David Cameron proposing a referendum to take the UK out of the EU.

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:25 am

Forgot to mention re Flip's post - does not Northern Ireland still make up part of the UK or has it devolved without my noticing?

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:17 am

Hazy wrote:Forgot to mention re Flip's post - does not Northern Ireland still make up part of the UK or has it devolved without my noticing?

I am reliably informed by my Irish cousins that Iron Bru is a firm favourite there  so didn't think it was appropriate to include NI in my post' and yes spent several wonderful years in Glasgow when growing up, so familiar with Scots cuisine and am partial to a good fish supper, but still prefer my Auld Aunties Clapshot 'n Haggis and her Cloutie Dumplins at Christmas.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 am

Glasgow for me too, but only living and working there for a year and I did frequent the deep fried pizza chippy, but could not bring myself to even watch those that bought one eating it! Urrh!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:49 am

Interesting piece in the Telegraph re: Rory Bremners thoughts......it does go on abit but quite entertaining ...
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:38 am

I must admit, apart from what I said about needing a less tribal humanity, I am also a little uninterested or was. The article ( on-line here ) was interesting, but similar to others that seem to be Scots with a link to England. What will happen to "Wee Eck (the toerag also known as Salmond)" , as someone put it, if the vote goes against him Question

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:26 pm

The majority of people who I come across who want Independence, are not Scots by birth but 'Expats'  from England, which is a little worrying. Just a word of advice be very careful what you wish for.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by robjw on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Well there is much I could say on this subject but as it is an Italy Forum I will only mention a couple of things relevant to British people living in Italy. First is that independence will  certainly have an impact on the value of Sterling . In the short term it is predicted to plummet ( 10 or 15% has been suggested), so if you are planning on transferring money in the near future you would be better off doing it before Thursday. The longer term depends on what option an independent Scotland would take vis a vis its currency - but all options being considered look bad for sterling and for the tax payers in the rest of UK.
Secondly an independent Scotland will no longer be a member of the EU ( they can apply to become a member but this will take several years to happen) . Consequently any Scottish people living in italy or any other EU country might like to consider what their position will be as their automatic entitlement to reside there will no longer apply.

robjw
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks Robjw, just wonder if it will not take several years for the Comune etc to catch on, many of them still don't think the UK is part of the EU. Someone was quoting 20% drop in GBP against the Euro, who can say with the money markets. t least you mention the sense of picking your time to transfer money, although I do worry for anyone involved in a time limited transfer to buy here in the next few days. Hopefully this has been known about for a while and they will have thought about the possible impact. The money markets soon move their attention as it's just another money maker for them and I can't see the Euro racing ahead against GBP as things are not looking too good for Italy and others...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Surely if you are Scottish, and already a resident it is not going to make a difference robjw ?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Well Angela it certainly won't make a difference if you have been resident for 5 or more years I would guess. If less than that, then as I said it would take them more than 5 years to catch on to it here in Italy. Also, it may never happen..... Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by robjw on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:Surely if you are Scottish, and already a resident it is not going to make a difference robjw ?

Who knows ? As I said it is something Scottish people living in EU countries might want to consider. Just one of the many unknowns associated with the whole business.

robjw
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:51 pm

I guess that it is too early to forecast what may happen; however, if the Scots decide to secede from the UK, those who are in favour of independence will have to adopt the new Scottish nationality, or maintain their old British nationality (in any case, I doubt that they will be able to hold dual nationality)... If they decide to remain British, they can then maintain their rights as EU citizens. Otherwise, their status will change, and, at least in theory, those living in EU countries will have to apply for residency under new conditions. It will all depend on how long they have been living in their new country and whether they already have permanent residency. At this stage it is too early to know what will happen. In Spain we are looking with interest at the outcome as we may have a similar problem with Catalonia and the Basque Country.  Rolling Eyes
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 am

We’d prefer if they stay part of the UK. OH spent many great holidays in Scotland when he was young and when we lived in the UK, we too had great holidays in Scotland when our children were young.   Beautiful country, great people, if it had better weather, we’d move there in a heartbeat.

I hope it’s a NO vote but ultimately it’s up to the Scots.
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:06 am

Well, I think it's up to the England/Irish/Welsh too. Don't we get a say on whether part of our nation goes it's own way?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:27 am

My thoughts exactly Penny !

Why should Scotland decide......it would be interesting to see what the English, Welsh and N Irish peeps think as to whether they wanted Scotland in or out !

Last edited by Angela Fuller on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellining...spelling spelt corectly)
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 pm

I can't help thinking that Scotland may be moving from the fat into the fire if they opt for independence.  I fear that if the vote is for yes, prices will rise not only in Scotland as everything is unpicked and markets become smaller.

I can think of no company, except perhaps for Ferrari, which aims for success by getting smaller and I can't see why that analogy should be different for countries.  Yes voters will undoubtedly point to the advantages that the internet brings to commerce, but just have a look at how much less things cost in the U.S. to see what I mean. 

I do understand the emotional reasons for wanting autonomy but there's a sour note to nationalism no matter which country indulges in it.  And if the arguments for pulling out of the U.K. are valid, how much sense will it make to tie up with the EU? 

I hope the vote is for a NO

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:46 pm

It’s obviously not an issue for the English, Welsh or Irish. If it was, they could have asked for a referendum  Twisted Evil

There are English people voting tomorrow, more than 300,00 because they live in Scotland, apparently to do with the UNs ‘principle of self determination’. Apparently, close to a million people born in Scotland can’t vote which includes our Scottish friends who live here, here as in NL Surprised
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:06 am

Well today is the big day..  I am not Scottish and cannot vote.  but before it goes one way or another I would just like to say that the NO campaign ha been so terrible as to be a lesson in how to lose an election, and the YEs campaign has inculcated a sort of 'yes' fascism in Scotland, where people who dare to speak out are physically assaulted.    Its been a classic botch from start to finsih with Salmond who is vile and the procession of C listers sent up from London to persuade the Scots to stay.  It has been worthy of a Jeffrey Archer blockbuster in its awfulness and frankly they will all get what they deserve.

A year ago Cameron ruled out the Devomax option absolutely - and now surprise surprise it is back on the table as he stares at a yes vote.  Any constancy, intelligence and common sense went by the way side along time ago, and the ies that have been peddled by all sides should be punishable by law.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:24 am

Well said Modi!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down