The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Referendum

+8
Casa Monal
Gala Placidia
robjw
Hazy
Flip
stevegwmonkseaton
ghiro
Angela Fuller
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scottish Referendum - Page 2 Empty Scottish Referendum

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Has anyone any thoughts....Yes or NO ?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Scottish Referendum - Page 2 Empty scotland

Post by sebastiano Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:45 am

well,as it seems highly probable on the eve of the results that it will be,all be it closely fought,a vote for No.
Personally had i been scottish i would have voted yes,indeed i know two people who are both now voting yes in Edinburgh one is english the other german.
Whatever the outcome it is increasingly clear that NOTHING WILL BE THE SAME AGAIN, in the event of the NO victory the Scotts will turn up at the door demanding the priviledges promised by westminster during their desperate rearguard propganda campaign..this will, in large, piss off everyone else english and welsh alike.
It's still not said that Cameron ,even with a no victory,could be forced to resign.
Milliband after the events in scotland the other day looks incredibly even more of an asshole guaranteeing that the labour party won't get near govenment for a further 10 years at least.
As,friends in Scotland tell me this anyway was only the first try and in the not so distant future they'll try again if the indipendence vote doesn't go thru this time.....
sebastiano
sebastiano
Elder

http://www.contradadurano.it

Back to top Go down

Scottish Referendum - Page 2 Empty Re: Scottish Referendum

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:00 pm

What amazed me was the fact this is discussed here and other forums at all! A lot of us abandoned the UK many years ago. The entire thing to me is just a sad state of affairs Sad

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Well, as Sebastiano says if a no vote this time it will be raised again in a few years time.....the whole thing needs resolution
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Wonder if Ukraine will recognise an independent Scotland, sure Putin will send in troops to protect their borders  ... Dare I press the "Similar topics" link above "Looking for a Scottish Border Reaver Crossbow" affraid Don't blame me, it's referendum madness...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:38 pm

robjw wrote:Well there is much I could say on this subject but as it is an Italy Forum I will only mention a couple of things relevant to British people living in Italy. First is that independence will  certainly have an impact on the value of Sterling . In the short term it is predicted to plummet ( 10 or 15% has been suggested), so if you are planning on transferring money in the near future you would be better off doing it before Thursday. The longer term depends on what option an independent Scotland would take vis a vis its currency - but all options being considered look bad for sterling and for the tax payers in the rest of UK.Secondly an independent Scotland will no longer be a member of the EU ( they can apply to become a member but this will take several years to happen) . Consequently any Scottish people living in italy or any other EU country might like to consider what their position will be as their automatic entitlement to reside there will no longer apply.

This should be interesting, no results in, pound stands at 1.00 GBP     =     1.27036 EUR and 1.64259 against the USD. I've seen elsewhere predictions of 20% drop. Could these market guys already know the result Exclamation

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:52 am

modicasa wrote:Well today is the big day..  I am not Scottish and cannot vote.  but before it goes one way or another I would just like to say that the NO campaign ha been so terrible as to be a lesson in how to lose an election, and the YEs campaign has inculcated a sort of 'yes' fascism in Scotland, where people who dare to speak out are physically assaulted.    Its been a classic botch from start to finsih with Salmond who is vile and the procession of C listers sent up from London to persuade the Scots to stay.  It has been worthy of a Jeffrey Archer blockbuster in its awfulness and frankly they will all get what they deserve.

No different then to any other voting campaign worldwide...

I'm glad it's a NO cheers
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 am

true Monal, but i think this one has truly excelled, along with the journalism, tv coverage et al.   As usual everything stays the same, but the printers of large format posters, plastic badges and crappy flags are a bit richer.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:36 am

Just for historical purposes....

1.00 GBP=1.27407 EUR
1.00 GBP=1.64388 USD
Did the markets know or run/bet on polls Question

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder