The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bastardo del Grappa cheese

+5
Geotherm
Angela Fuller
Hazy
ghiro
stevegwmonkseaton
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bastardo del Grappa cheese Empty Bastardo del Grappa cheese

Post by Angela Fuller Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:11 am

I have just discovered this cheese.  It has a good earthy taste and good firm texture.  I tested it alongside a mature cheddar and tbh, preferred the Bastardo....a hit for me.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Bastardo del Grappa cheese Empty Re: Bastardo del Grappa cheese

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks Angela, apart from parmigano  and a whole black pepper infused cheese we have not found much with any taste. Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:57 am

Steve, have you tried Provelone Piccanti ?  It has a stonger taste and I use it when cooking alot....makes a tasty cheese sauce or good to grate on top of fish pie or any pie / lasagne.  OH likes it on savoury biscuits too so another versatile cheese and inexpensive....write it on the shopping list.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:Steve, have you tried Provelone Piccanti ?  It has a stonger taste and I use it when cooking alot....makes a tasty cheese sauce or good to grate on top of fish pie or any pie / lasagne.  OH likes it on savoury biscuits too so another versatile cheese and inexpensive....write it on the shopping list.....

No, never tried or seen iy, but will look out for both now thank Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Are we sure Angela isn't teasing us here? 

I'm not certain that if I went into my local shop, looked the owner in the eye, and said 'Bastardo del Grappa' he wouldn't punch me in the face! Shocked Shocked
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:27 am

It could have been a windup ghiro but it isn't.  My local Eurospin stocks it and has had it on offer recently for a mere 8 euros something a kilo....a bargain !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:51 am

I have to say that the name is a bit of a worry...Twisted Evil but it does exist http://www.venetoformaggi.it/en/cheeses/bastardo-del-grappa.php
Thank you for the Eurospin tip, Angie. It is an excellent price.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:28 am

I was told about this cheese by Angie and the name is correct, strange though that may seem. Good tasty cheese.

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:09 am

Many thx Gala for the link....an interesting read....Now I know it is made with a combination of goat and cows milk...no wonder I like it as I am a fan of goats cheese....just the waistline that isn't........
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 am

I would venture that the mixture of the two types of milk explains the funny name....
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:01 pm

Am going to try the cheese Angie , as had not seen it before. I agree the Provelone Piccante is very good, as have been buying that for a number of years now. Makes a excellent grilled cheese on toast.
Another cheese that I have just tried, and only after the Lidl Octoberfest promotion, where I bought some smoked German cheese is the Scamorza Affumicato. Seems to be about the only Italian smoked cheese, but is not too bad flavour wise.
I read, that it is a good substitute for Mozzarella, so next time I make one of my foccacia based pizzas am going to use it instead and see how it turns out.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:21 pm

And it will turn out great, Geo. I have already used it. Onion and olive foccacia, prosciuto crudo or speck, scamorza affumicato, sliced pomodorini, rucula and a few herbs... divine! You can replace the prosciuto or speck with anchovies. I know... it is not the Neapolitan Pizza Margherita... but who cares? It tastes much nicer. 
Also, there is another affumicato, called "cacciacavallo" and, as it is the case with scamorza, you can also have the regular version Cacciacavallo
And...as cacciacavallo is a typical cheese from the old Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, both Geo and myself will get excommunicated by Modi Twisted Evil
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:24 am

Geo, I will keep an eye out for the 'Scamorza Affumicato' and Gala's 'cacciacavallo', I have foccacia in the fridge waiting to be cooked and was going to use it as a pizza base as you suggested...with a Gala topping of course !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:37 pm

You make yours a little differently to mine Gala.
I cover the base in a tomato puree, with crushed garlic and Herbs of Provence.
Then finely sliced firm tomatoes and red onion. A thin layer of cheese and then a layer of ham and salami. This is topped with more cheese and sliced black olives.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Geo, I must clarify that, generally, i top the foccacia with anything I have in the fridge. The more, the merrier. A great way to recycle leftovers. I also use a mixture of cheeses, including Gorgonzola... And once I used some leftovers of spinach in bechamel sauce with pancetta... Delicious!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:08 pm

Well we have not been excommunicated by Modi as yet, so there may be hope for us with our eating habits.
Do miss the lovely sized barbecued sardines that we had in Spain, as not seen them here.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:42 pm

You are right. Difficult to find, although they are very popular in Sicily.mI understand that besides the classic "pasta con le sarde", they also barbecue them in a similar manner to the "espetós" (kebabs),prepared on the beach in Southern Spain. Such a lovely fish and so healthy!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 am

We were once walking along the beach at Cupra Marittima Geo and someone was having a BBQ and grilling large sardines. They offered us some and a glass of wine and they were delicious so they must have got them from somewhere nearby.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:20 am

It is not surprising, Penny, as grilling sardines on the beach is done in quite a few countries. There are two reasons for that - besides the fact that they are delicious - and those are: 
1.- Sardines are abundant (and cheap) during the months of May, June, July and August ( the months without an "r"), just when you tend to eat outdoors.
2.- Sardines are a bit smelly to cook in a normal kitchen and you can smell them for days after grilling them. The beach is ideal.
Here is a good recipe for them; however, you may use your own "concoction". Always marinate the sardines for at least 2 hours before cooking them.
Italian grilled sardines
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri May 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Ok, this cheese does hit the spot....on offer in Eurospin for a few more days, Pecorino Sardo Maturo DOP - 21% off, really tasty...may be my favourite...like a strong cheddar but not dry and crumbly...heaven....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:02 am

I know I should not keep posting about cheeses, and can only nibble at a few, - cholesterol etc, but....Eurospin are selling Cheddar a fette for approx 1 euro for 8 slices.  Quite a mild taste but not too bad.....not slimey and worth checking out.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:I know I should not keep posting about cheeses, and can only nibble at a few, - cholesterol etc, but....Eurospin are selling Cheddar a fette for approx 1 euro for 8 slices.  Quite a mild taste but not too bad.....not slimey and worth checking out.....

Thanks Angie.
will have to see if it is still there the next time I go shopping in Sarnano.
Would be lovely if you could get a good pate here, apart from the disgusting tuna or salmon versions!!!
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:59 am

Geo, Eurospin and Tuo Di sometimes stocks the Tined Pate by Tulip (sort of chicken liver pate) lovely on Toast.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:32 am

COAL do a range of flavours including duck, but it apparently does not help lower cholesterol !......however as our 'esteemed' Health Minister, Beatrice Lorenzin says           "You shouldn't live like a sick person in order to die healthy"

Very Happy:lol:  V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks Flip & Vicino.

Have tried the Eurospin version, but did find it pretty tasteless and quite difficult to spread.
Will check in Coal next time I go there, as never really looked with them.
Used to be a must have when Lidl had a French or German week, but recent promotions have not included them.
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next