The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dig out the old grappa stills

4 posters

Go down

Dig out the old grappa stills Empty Dig out the old grappa stills

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:12 am

Is this really the case that it's coming back? Have to admit to not being anything but a wine drinker, but have tried this in a few restaurants where we felt it rude to refuse. Despite not being able to tolerate any of the strong stuff I found it "interesting" and kept it down!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Dig out the old grappa stills Empty Re: Dig out the old grappa stills

Post by Flip Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Actually Steve Grappa is more akin to Marc in France also called Acquavite, the main difference between that and Brandy is that it is not aged. Italy does have a plethora of different Grappas basically one for each different grape or wine variety and must say I've had some lush grappas in my time, balanced by quite a few 'paint strippers' as well; the French don't seem to have so many as they prefer it to age into Brandy which is smoother, the most famous French equivalent is Marc de Champagne. If you wish to try a good grappa, firstly price is always a fair guide and if you pay anything below €6-7 a bottle prepare to loose sensation in your mouth for the next 3 hours.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks Flip, you learn something every day. Fortunately (or not) we have never been offered it in restaurants in Abruzzo, it was Tuscany where we were often offered it after our meals. I'll stick to the vino for now...  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by casa del campanile Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 am

The OH of our abode has made grappa more palatable and actually quite tasty by adding syrups to the grappa. She makes syrups from lemon peel, laurel leaves, cherries, elder flower, elder berries, corneal berries, and plums. Once the fruit is boiled, strain and add honey and mix into the grappa. Very tasty and takes away the fuel taste.
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:07 am

Pomace brandy has been distiller, under different names, in all wine producing countries and it is also used as a base for numerous liqueurs. If you wish to know all the names, Google "pomace brandy". I agree with Flip, if you wish to enjoy good grappa, avoid the cheaper brands. In small quantities - a shot glass is the way to serve it - it can be beneficial, particularly after a heavy meal, as it is classed as a "digestive" . Keep in mind the high alcoholic content. Although it comes from grapes, it is not wine....
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down