Drinking water from public fountains in Italy

Go down

Drinking water from public fountains in Italy Empty Drinking water from public fountains in Italy

Post by Gala Placidia on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:47 pm

I found this article which is relevant, particularly at this time of the year, when we need to increase our water intake to counteract the dehydration caused by the summer heat. I have seen tourists filling up their plastic bottles at places such as the Piazza Della Signoria in Florence or the fountain at the side of Piazza Napoleone in Lucca. Now, it looks as if this could not be a healthy choice and also keep in mind that plastic bottles, exposed to the heat and sun, can start to leach toxic substances such as antimony. Have a look at this link
Thank God for San Pellegrino! Cool
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Drinking water from public fountains in Italy Empty Re: Drinking water from public fountains in Italy

Post by ghiro on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:36 pm

Good point GP. Smile   Indeed some experts have attributed the fall of the Roman Empire to the population suffering from chronic lead poisoning due to the use of lead pipes in the fresh water supply.

Personally, whatever the temperature, I consider plain water far too dangerous and try to stick exclusively to much safer alcoholic drinks!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Drinking water from public fountains in Italy Empty Re: Drinking water from public fountains in Italy

Post by Gala Placidia on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:10 pm

I guess, Ghiro, that even wine and alcoholic drinks at the time of the fall of the Roman Empire were not very safe to drink, either. But yes, lead poisoning may have been a contributing factor, together with others as listed through this Link
In any case, I think that a nice Prosecco will be perfectly safe...Razz
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum