The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing an Italian Dog to the UK

+2
Angela Fuller
Flip
6 posters

Go down

Bringing an Italian Dog to the UK Empty Bringing an Italian Dog to the UK

Post by ghiro Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:01 pm

We are considering (only considering) adopting an Italian dog and introducing her to the delights of living in Devon. Smile 

Currently we have 2 dogs (one English and one Scottish) who travel with us between the UK & Italy.  Both have UK Pet Passports and hitherto we've had no problems.

As we understand it the requirements for bringing an EU dog into the UK are the same, namely:
Microchipped then
Inoculated against rabies (+ 21 days) and
Treated for tapeworm etc

Presumably the Italian vet will issue a 'Pet Passport' or equivalent to prove the above. 

Does anyone have any experience and/or advice and/or views? Question
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Bringing an Italian Dog to the UK Empty Re: Bringing an Italian Dog to the UK

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:59 am

Dear Ghiro, there is alot of information on the forum under the 'Pet' section on getting a pet passport if you take a look.

I believe it was you who suggested the topic to kick off the 'Pet' related section.....listed under 'Homes and Gardens'.

Last edited by Angela Fuller on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:34 am

Not a problem nowadays as, fortunately, the criteria has been unified within the EU. Here are the relevant instructions.https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad 
Any vet will be able to give issue the pet passport, have the dog microchipped, vaccinated, etc. 
Don't forget to teach him to bark in English Razz:P
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:41 am

You will also have to have the Tick treatment done within 24 hours of departure to the UK, but if you have a friendly Vet here, they will almost certainly date/time it appropriately to avoid a visit to a French Vet prior to leaving France.
We've taken dogs back to the UK frequently and rarely had problems only once by a stupid 'French' border vet/thingy who said he couldn't read the date stamp, but after a 'heated discussion' and me calling for his superior everything was OK.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:52 am

Unsure Gala if all vets will issue the pet passport....Here in Marche we had to take the relevant paperwork and the cat (they wanted to see him) to a hospital some 1 hrs drive away with a vetinary dept.....They issued the passport.  That was 2 ys ago....maybe things have changed....?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:30 am

We've done it.  The vet doesn't actually issue the passport, just gives you a certificate for the microchip and obviously does the rabies jab and then you have to go to an official office to actually get the passport (we didn't need the dog with us).  The vet will give you the address.  Once it is done you don't need to go back to the office, the passport is just like the UK one.  We have registered the Italian chip in the UK - again your vet will tell you how to contact, it is very easy.  That way if he is lost in the UK he can be traced back to us.  Been back and forth quite a few times now with the 'Italian' passport and no problems.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:59 am

I thought so Flying Pigs, as was in our case.   I'm surprised though they did not want to see the appropriate animal to check its chip and ensure it was the same animal though...that's why we had to take ours with us....Good to hear it is easy to register the Italian chip in England just incase... Thx for posting as things can be confusing here.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:39 am

You are right, Angie, if a different body had to issue the passport, at least in theory, they had to check the microchip. Actually, the microchip is the real ID document, again, in theory, the paper passport would not be necessary if all the relevant data about the animal, including clinical history, vet checkups, treatments and vaccinations were stored in the register together with the microchip number. I have taken our Tequila to vets that systematically check the microchip number.nwell, perhaps some day.....
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:48 pm

I was amazed too they didn't want to check the dog's chip (we did in fact have him with us as we didn't believe they wouldn't want to see him but he stayed in the car!).  One thing to consider, and I don't know if it is still applicable, but the rabies vaccine in Italy is only licenced for one year, whereas if you have it done in the UK it lasts for three years.  The vet says it is the same vaccine but only the licence is different.  I keep meaning to have our dog redone in the UK so that I only have to have it every three years, however never seem to have the time and at the back of my mind there is the concern about putting too much vaccine into him.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:13 pm

I had a look at vaccine validity and it looks as if it varies according to the type of vaccine used. In Spain, our dog used to get yearly vaccinations http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com/2011/07/30/how-often-does-your-pet-need-to-be-vaccinated-for-rabies/
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:54 pm

Flying Pigs, our Vet told us the other day that Italy now has the 3 year vaccine same as the UK.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 pm

That's good.  He is due next month so I will make sure I check - one less thing to do in the UK.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Gosh you lot are really helpful. Smile 

Thank you - very much appreciated.

(PS Sorry to originally post in the wrong place. Sad  Perhaps Admin can kindly redirect me!)

Last edited by ghiro on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apology)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by karenwilki Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:10 pm

I took a cat from Italy to the UK. The passport was issued by the ASL initially. When the next rabies jab had to be done before I took him back to the UK , the vet did the injection but then I had to go to the ASL vet section to have it entered in the passport, but that was in Lazio. It's confusing, unless it's changed the vet in England said if staying in Italy for longer than 90 days then the animal was subject to Italian regulations which meant rabies jab annually. If only there for a holiday under 90 days the 3 year injection as provided by England was valid.

karenwilki
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:05 am

If travelling by car the only time the passport is checked is at the ferry/tunnel and then they will only look at the dog having an in date rabies jab.  The vet puts the expiry date in the passport, but if the Italian vaccine is only licenced for one year expiry, then that is what the Italian vet has to put in.  However, if the length of validity is now the same as the UK we are all fine in the future.

My vet has always entered the rabies jab on the passport, we've never had to go back to the ASL office - what a nightmare that would be, already bad enough to have to get to the vet whilst packing up for the fit to travel business.

Trouble in Italy, there never seems to be a 'norm'.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:30 am

This is the current EU regulations; however, it is not a unified rule http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/animal-plant/index_en.htm
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum