The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Ex-Pats in Spain and the EU referendum

3 posters

Go down

British Ex-Pats in Spain and the EU referendum Empty British Ex-Pats in Spain and the EU referendum

Post by Neil D Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:24 am

BBC Radio 5 Live has been running some interviews with British ex-pats in Spain (Costa Blanca).  Apparently there are 283,000 of them and only 11,000 have bothered to register for a vote in the referendum.  These beacons of intellect interviewed were mostly not interested in voting ('my vote won't matter') or hostile to the EU e.g. 'the English need to reclaim their borders' / 'get England sorted out' / 'my daughter and son-in-law are farmers in the UK. I'm torn between voting Leave for them but Remain for me' - despite the fact that many British farmers get half their income from EU subsidies.  One pointed out that it was the EU which gave them them the opportunity to live in Spain in the first place.

They need to check their pension entitlement while they're at it.  Any Britons living in a country which joined the EU after 1981 risk having their pensions frozen if the UK leaves unless new bi-lateral agreements are put in place.  Spain is one of 19 countries in this position.  Also in limbo will be reciprocal health agreements.  'O tempora, O mores'.
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

British Ex-Pats in Spain and the EU referendum Empty Re: British Ex-Pats in Spain and the EU referendum

Post by Casa Monal Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:40 pm

British expats lose legal battle for right to vote in EU referendum

Court challenge brought by 94-year-old second world war veteran living in Italy and lawyer resident in Belgium fails

Click here for full article
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

British Ex-Pats in Spain and the EU referendum Empty Re: British Ex-Pats in Spain and the EU referendum

Post by Casa Monal Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:43 pm

I'm appalled that expats like me can't vote in the EU referendum

Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:48 pm

We are all farcically in the dark about what would happen after a vote for Brexit

Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil D Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:48 pm

That's very disappointing.  A poll published today has Brexit with a two point lead but the average of the last six polls, including today's, shows the Remain camp leading by 53 to 47%.  I'll settle for that.
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:51 pm

700,000 British expats will not be able to vote in EU referendum, court rules

Click here - live debate
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:53 pm

We moved back to the UK last November...other half is British and I'm Dutch.  So can I vote?
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:55 pm

Neil D wrote:That's very disappointing.  A poll published today has Brexit with a two point lead but the average of the last six polls, including today's, shows the Remain camp leading by 53 to 47%.  I'll settle for that.

It's non stop here, one says that, one says this...it's no wonder everyone is confused.  Fingers crossed we stay in...otherwise I'll be an 'alien' Laughing
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:56 pm

It is the same as in Italy, only citizens of the UK can vote in the referendum - who can vote
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Admin wrote:It is the same as in Italy, only citizens of the UK can vote in the referendum - who can vote

Well that's me sorted then Laughing thanks for the link Penny.
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down