The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about electricity pricing

5 posters

Go down

Question about electricity pricing Empty Question about electricity pricing

Post by almoniyot Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:09 pm

First some background. We have a 40sqm apartment in a building with 12 apartments in the Valle d'Aosta. I am a non-resident of Italy. We spend ~5 weeks a year there in total. As the apartment is often vacant, I am trying to cut unnecessary costs. Can I save much by switching to a different supplier, or are most of the costs on the bill regulated?

A copy of the most recent bill can be seen here: https://ibb.co/gpV2nm

Question about electricity pricing GpV2nm

Thanks

almoniyot
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Question about electricity pricing Empty Re: Question about electricity pricing

Post by Flip Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 am

Looking at your situation, I would not think there is any real benefit in changing suppliers as your usage must be minimal throughout the year. I'm not sure what suppliers are available in Aosta, so can't recommend any, but the hassle incurred would hardly be worth it, as I understand at least here in Tuscany the base costs are about the same with any supplier and costs only vary if you use a lot of Electricity.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by alexcal Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 am

I am in a similar situation as original poster with property in Sicily.

would it be viable to disconnect and reconnect electricity as and when required? would there be reconnection costs each time?

thanks

alexcal
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Think you would have to work out, whether it is worth it in the end. Maybe, you would not be reconnected by the time you arrived again.
If the electricity controls the heating system for your apartment,(which you did not specify or a single property), with its own circulating pump then what happens if there is no circulation in the winter and a pipe bursts from freezing?
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by alexcal Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Geotherm wrote:Think you would have to work out, whether it is worth it in the end. Maybe, you would not be reconnected by the time you arrived again.If the electricity controls the heating system for your apartment,(which you did not specify or a single property), with its own circulating pump then what happens if there is no circulation in the winter and a pipe bursts from freezing?

Hi Geotherm,

sorry for not giving more detail; both apartments have independent power supply and meter, neither has gas. we don't have any system heating as such just Calor gas fires, the water is heated by a Wall-Hung electric storage Heater which we switch on upon arrival. When we leave we switch the power off for our apartment from the meter which is situated outside. at present we only visit for a week at a time 4 times a year, hopefully this will increase later down the line.

thanks

alexcal
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 am

Disconnecting the supply to save money isnt a economic solution, as the reconnection fees are more than your bills. 
Since  2017 bills now show the charges for use, standing charge and 'network charges' which are routinely half of your bill - so changing supplier could only provide changes on a small proportion of your outgoings.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alexcal Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for advice - much appreciated

alexcal
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content