The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the tax rates for owning more than one property in Italy?

3 posters

Go down

What are the tax rates for owning more than one property in Italy? Empty What are the tax rates for owning more than one property in Italy?

Post by Stratocaster Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm doing some research to ascertain the viability of investing in property in Italy. As I understand it anyone who owns more than one property has an annual tax to pay on that (or those) additional properties. How are these taxes calculated?

If a person from the UK owns one house in Italy and converts it into 2 homes - such as having a single storey house and having an additional floor built on top that serves as a separate independent home, how is the tax calculated? Does this change from region to region?

Stratocaster
Contributor

Back to top Go down

What are the tax rates for owning more than one property in Italy? Empty Re: What are the tax rates for owning more than one property in Italy?

Post by alan h Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am

The tax exemption on first houses applied to Residents only, not foreign based owners.  

Hence I pay IMU etc on my holiday home, whilst my Italian friend doesn't pay IMU on his house.  If he owns a second home, then he pays the IMU etc on that home
alan h
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

What are the tax rates for owning more than one property in Italy? Empty Re: What are the tax rates for owning more than one property in Italy?

Post by Stratocaster Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm

alan h wrote:The tax exemption on first houses applied to Residents only, not foreign based owners.  

Hence I pay IMU etc on my holiday home, whilst my Italian friend doesn't pay IMU on his house.  If he owns a second home, then he pays the IMU etc on that home
What does IMU stand for?

Stratocaster
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Stratocaster Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:19 pm

I have dual citizenship (british/italian). Would I need to pay IMU if I bought a home in Italy?

Stratocaster
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:24 pm

Stratocaster wrote:I have dual citizenship (british/italian). Would I need to pay IMU if I bought a home in Italy

I think that the important thing is having Residency - but others may well advise further
alan h
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:26 pm

Stratocaster wrote:
alan h wrote:The tax exemption on first houses applied to Residents only, not foreign based owners.  

What does IMU stand for?

In Italy, there is a property tax that real estate owners have to pay every year, which is called IMU (imposta municipale unica).The IMU tax applies to the possession of houses - with the exception of the primary residence
alan h
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stratocaster Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Are there any guidelines available (in English) as to how the IMU is calculated?

Stratocaster
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 am

Stratocaster wrote:Are there any guidelines available (in English) as to how the IMU is calculated?

Its based on the RENDITA value for the house [on the deeds somewhere, i think], and you can then use this website    

https://www.amministrazionicomunali.it/imu/calcolo_imu.php                                                ;-
alan h
alan h
Elder

Stratocaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Stratocaster Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:08 am

alan h wrote:
Stratocaster wrote:Are there any guidelines available (in English) as to how the IMU is calculated?

Its based on the RENDITA value for the house [on the deeds somewhere, i think], and you can then use this website    

https://www.amministrazionicomunali.it/imu/calcolo_imu.php                                                ;-
Thanks. This will be useful.

Stratocaster
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 am

alan h is correct, in the original query it was also asked about whether there were differences region to region..............in short yes, but the link that alan h gave you will allow you play around with the different areas which might help. I suspect different comunes will apply different rates.

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Stratocaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down